Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 8: Terni - Fossombrone, 207 km - up and down ***SPOILERS***

124»

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    WTF were TGH and G thinking there?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    hypster said:

I thought they did ok ..I doubt they would have gone faster coming through earlier

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Roglic is not a great bike handler but he knows when and how to move up on a climb
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    hypster said:

That they were gaining time on Remco?
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    edited May 2023
    r0bh said:

hypster said:

Yeah by sitting on Roglic's wheel and contributing sweet FA
  • mididoctors
    hypster said:

r0bh said:

hypster said:

They did off the descent roglic was drilling it ....I would have sat on and try and flic him in the final 500m for a sec or two
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    There will be a lot more opportunities to burn matches.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Seriously impressive ride by Ben Healy. It's one thing to have good form, quite another to use that to win races. Everyone knew he was the one to watch in the break, but he hit them far earlier than they were expecting and had the legs to make it count.

It was clear when he was in the u23 ranks that he had both the engine and the intelligence to do well, but he's taken massive strides forward this year. He's out of contract at the end of the season too, Vaughters better be prepared to open his wallet.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Really hope Covid isn't going to cause any more problems when Tao and G are going so well.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

hypster said:

r0bh said:

hypster said:

They did off the descent roglic was drilling it ....I would have sat on and try and flic him in the final 500m for a sec or two
    It was a lot of effort for little gain by Roglic (other than perhaps denting Evenepoel's confidence), evenso I think it a pity G and G-Hart gave such very reserved help to Roglic. Were they playing psychological games with him - (“you are no better/stronger than us“)?

Eitherway it may hinder any future possible cooperation with Roglic in the supposed main contest (Roglic versus Remco).
    (I was nonetheless impressed by G and G-Hart, even surprised by G)

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    It’s fair to think that G & TGH simply couldn’t come round and pull?
    Rog made the move , they were on the limit?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    edited May 2023
    I think they were right to just sit on. Make Roglic do all the work expending maximum energy, whilst they take the ride. Remco gets stressed, Roglic uses up extra energy.
  • mididoctors

I suspect so ...roglic didn't look back for help until they were on the flat proper
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,635

I think they were right to just sit on. Make Roglic do all the work expending maximum energy, whilst they take the ride. Remco gets stressed, Roglic uses up extra energy.

It was pretty steep I don’t think in general it made much difference who is on the front.

Roglic was probably happy to have a clear view of the descent anyway.

I got the impression Remco did not dig deep in anticipation of tomorrow but I was also fending off my 4 year old’s various demands so couldn’t really concentrate
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447

They closed the gap to Roglic in the final few hundred metres of the climb, so almost certainly had ridden at a controlled pace for most of the climb, then gone deep into the red to close the gap.

There's very little to be gained from swapping turns on the descent anyway, so letting one rider lead, then starting to help when it flattens out is probably the best, and fastest, strategy.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited May 2023
    Unless it's just because they like holding hands, Rog seemed happy with Thomas's input:

*Don't think it was a handsling ;-)

Also not convinced Remco exactly detonated, and could it have been that he wanted to not be in the leaders jersey, and have max potential for today - I guess we'll find out later.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Thomas said he didn’t come through because it was a twisty descent and he wasn’t going to divebomb (his word) Roglic
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    daniel_b said:

Unless it's just because they like holding hands, Rog seemed happy with Thomas's input:

Also not convinced Remco exactly detonated, and could it have been that he wanted to not be in the leaders jersey, and have max potential for today - I guess we'll find out later.

Won't he have to wear young riders skinsuit though, can't pass on it for his WC kit like he could on a road stage
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    andytee87 said:

daniel_b said:

Won't he have to wear young riders skinsuit though, can't pass on it for his WC kit like he could on a road stage
    His regular kit, and the leaders jerseys are both made by Castelli - so I'm sure he'll be fitted out fine and it won't make any difference.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

andytee87 said:

daniel_b said:

His regular kit, and the leaders jerseys are both made by Castelli - so I'm sure he'll be fitted out fine and it won't make any difference.
    He won't have to wear the white kit anyway, as it's only a loan from Leknesund, so his Belgian Champs kit takes precedence
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format