Paris-Nice 2023 ***Spoilers

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702

🤷🏻‍♂️ dyslexic innit. I just hear the names. If ya know who it is, pipe down.

Touchy!
    Trying to help you. It's not difficult.
    Obviously is for some people. Relax.
  • rick_chasey
    Pog wins the sprint, frenchie #2, vingers a few seconds behind in 3rd.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    JV not in the same class as Pog and Gaudu at the moment. Tries to sprint and Pog blows him away.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Pog easily counters a JV attack and distances him. Gaudu second, JV third and Yates fourth
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Everyone else is collapsed on the floor whilst Pog looked fresh. Not sure what Gaudu was doing with both hands in his back pockets just as JV attacked 200m from the line.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Pross said:

Everyone else is collapsed on the floor whilst Pog looked fresh. Not sure what Gaudu was doing with both hands in his back pockets just as JV attacked 200m from the line.

He misunderstood the concept of a 'finish bottle'?
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited March 2023
    Just shows that Jonas without having the best riders in the world working for him (Van Aert + Roglic) is no match for Pogacar.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    It's still a long way to the Tour. Usually Pogacar ought to be stronger, but JV has looked very impressive as a team so far.

Vingegaard did a very good job of learning from his mistake and to stay within his limits.

Pogacar is def the Tour favorite, but it's hardly a done deal. I wonder how the JV dynamic will work with Roglic either not there or not in top form due to competing in the Giro.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,932
    Stick the coverage on just in time to see a replay of peloton going round the corner to find a car heading straight towards them. Fortunately everyone safe but could of been catastrophic
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited March 2023
    For once, the final stage is failing to deliver.
    We don’t have riders all over the course. Instead we have a solitary Wout Poels a few seconds ahead of the bunch.
    Words were exchanged between Pogacar and David de La Cruz, after the breakaway was chased down.
    UAE continue to ride hard on the front.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    The Poginator is so strong.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    orraloon said:

The Poginator is so strong.

Imagine if he had a decent bike.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    Only caught the last km sadly, but impressive again by the Poginator.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Don’t forget Pog prefers cooler weather. Might be different in July.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • blazing_saddles
    There’s an argument to be made that he ruined a potentially good race today.
    Sunday into Nice is usually edge of the seat stuff.
    I lost interest today.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    So was that what de la Cruz was whingeing to the Pog about today? How dare you catch us and beat us all? 'Snot fair. 😉
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    It's a long way to Paris
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    orraloon said:

So was that what de la Cruz was whingeing to the Pog about today? How dare you catch us and beat us all? 'Snot fair. 😉

I think it was more to do with if you won’t give breakaways some kms of exposure, it’s not going to play well with sponsors. Small teams suffer.
    I don’t think de La Cruz thought for one moment that he could win the stage.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    😴
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    edited March 2023

It's a long way to Paris

8 days?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    m.r.m. said:

It's a long way to Paris

8 days?
    July?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    pblakeney said:

m.r.m. said:

It's a long way to Paris

8 days?
    July?
    Memes did exist before the internet
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey

I lost interest today.

Probably fair.

I do think though we're being a bit spoiled with the top top Tour contenders duking it out in March in a World Tour race already.

No doubt Rich will be around to declare Wiggins and Froome regularly raced against their competitors in Paris Nice, but then, there wasn't quite the rivalry as there is now.

Could be worse. We could be like the 00s when we all were pretending that we were watching top racing until June/July came along and the big dogs decided to go race properly.
  • kingstongraham

I lost interest today.

Probably fair.

I do think though we're being a bit spoiled with the top top Tour contenders duking it out in March in a World Tour race already.

No doubt Rich will be around to declare Wiggins and Froome regularly raced against their competitors in Paris Nice, but then, there wasn't quite the rivalry as there is now.

Could be worse. We could be like the 00s when we all were pretending that we were watching top racing until June/July came along and the big dogs decided to go race properly.
    That's the way it should be, like every other sport.
  • rick_chasey

I lost interest today.

Probably fair.

Meh, cycling isn't like any other sport and I think that's OK.
  • kingstongraham

I lost interest today.

Probably fair.

Meh, cycling isn't like any other sport and I think that's OK.
    I don't think we saw top racing at Paris Nice this year. We saw the likely two top contenders racing in the same race.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Was that Pog’s fault for being too strong or Ving’s for not being strong enough?
    Somebody must be blamed.
  • rick_chasey
    I guess Jumbo split their strengths in half and did go and win Tirreno on the side.

Jumbo having Roglic is a real complication for Pog.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    I think the potential of Pog having a much stronger Tour team this year is a far bigger complication for JV (and more or less everyone else… possibly including those who only equate close races with exciting races).
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    edited March 2023

I think the potential of Pog having a much stronger Tour team this year is a far bigger complication for JV (and more or less everyone else… possibly including those who only equate close races with exciting races).

On the basis that Yates isn't really mountain train material, I can see him, Ayuso, and Vine being given the Giro/Vuelta and the likes of Almeida, Soler, Majka, Großschartner, and McNulty in the Tour mountain train to try and prevent him being isolated against 2 or more Rabobank riders.