Paris-Nice 2023 ***Spoilers

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    Fdj surprisingly high
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270

I'm quite enjoying this - a bit more jeopardy and intrigue than the standard TTT

Agreed, this is good stuff.
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo looking solid to pull something out but Jonas is not as explosive in the final
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo by 4 secs ...not as big a win as you would expect
  • mididoctors
    Jonas Puts ,23 secs into pog
  • mididoctors
    Time bonus in this race are going to be crucial
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    edited March 2023

Jonas Puts ,23 secs into pog

So pulls back the 12 seconds he's lost on the first 2 stages and goes 11 seconds ahead of Pog.
  • mididoctors
    Ef close no cigar
  • Dorset_Boy
    another strong TTT by EF Education, only 1 second down on Jumbo
  • mididoctors
    Cort in yellow though
  • mididoctors
    edited March 2023
    Interesting.... Good experimrnt with the format ...it worked
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Interesting to see the different tactics used yesterday. Certainly negated to an extent, the over reliance on having a stacked time trialing troop.

Looking forward to today’s stage as the parcour guarantee us a Pogacar-Vingegaard showdown.
    It’s also enticing for things to kick off early.
    I don’t expect Pogacar to turn down the opportunity.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    Pogacar’s team did a heck of a lot of work for him to gain just 2 bonus seconds.
    Bling takes the 6 seconds and becomes virtual race leader.

Onto the final climb and so far no fireworks.
  • blazing_saddles
    Vingegaard attacks and only Pogacar can follow.
  • blazing_saddles
    Vingegaard cracking….
  • blazing_saddles
    Gino Mader drops Vingegaard
  • blazing_saddles
    Pogacar blew the legs off quite a few GC hopefuls.
    Big gaps.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Impressive. Pog puts 44 seconds into Vingegaard in the last 2.5km
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    f*cking furious the office wifi is down, so no cycling on the ipad for me.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

Phone? For future reference.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy

Impressive. Pog puts 44 seconds into Vingegaard in the last 2.5km

Wow, I thought Pog would go big today, but he's destroyed Vinegar.

• mididoctors
    Jonas tore his own legs off with that attack ..

Winner we expected just not from that distance out
  • mididoctors

Change jobs ... it's a priority
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    pblakeney said:

Yeah WiFi hotspot from the phone could save you there.

Was extremely impressive by Pogacar. He seems to be pretty much the perfect rider. Where other super strong riders often attack too much, he rode this one tactically brilliantly and patiently. Could have closed to within seconds of Vingegaard with the stage win if Vingegaard doesn't crack. Seemed to be willing to just accumulate the bonuses today and be within earshot of the GC win. Took the opportunity when Vingegaard gave him one.

Vingegaard made a minor and a slightly more major mistake imho. The minor one was the initial attack. It could have worked and you only know if you try (in a "smaller" race). That put him quite into the red, but there was some time to recover when Pogacar and he were freewheeling back to the group. The larger (but not terrible and rather understandable) mistake was after Pogacar counterattacked after Gaudu, when he was dropped, but was gaining on Pogacar, he stood up one final time to try and brute force the last 15 m. When you are cracking, but try to eek out that last bit and put yourself even more or into the red again, you blow up. That's why Mäder could then drop him later on and why he shipped so much time. He'd have needed to accept Pogacar is gone and ride within himself to limit the loss. Obviously easier said than done.
    While not wanting to drone on endlessly about the physiological side of things, it does seem like Pogacar has elite lactate clearance (like Pidcock and MvdP) and Vingegaard decidedly does not! Pogacar was able to recover almost completely from following Vingegaard's attack while Vingegaard was on a knife's edge the whole time. Maybe Vingegaard is more a Quintana type (super light diesel) and basically needs to be extremely judicious with attacking?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Its only March. I fear Pogacar will be worn out in July again.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    He wasn't worn out last July. He was worked over by JV, because he didn't have sufficient support from UAE to help close the Roglic-Vingegaard 1-2.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    edited March 2023
    It was a pretty full on piece of racing
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    m.r.m. said:

pblakeney said:

Yeah WiFi hotspot from the phone could save you there.

Was extremely impressive by Pogacar. He seems to be pretty much the perfect rider. Where other super strong riders often attack too much, he rode this one tactically brilliantly and patiently. Could have closed to within seconds of Vingegaard with the stage win if Vingegaard doesn't crack. Seemed to be willing to just accumulate the bonuses today and be within earshot of the GC win. Took the opportunity when Vingegaard gave him one.

Vingegaard made a minor and a slightly more major mistake imho. The minor one was the initial attack. It could have worked and you only know if you try (in a "smaller" race). That put him quite into the red, but there was some time to recover when Pogacar and he were freewheeling back to the group. The larger (but not terrible and rather understandable) mistake was after Pogacar counterattacked after Gaudu, when he was dropped, but was gaining on Pogacar, he stood up one final time to try and brute force the last 15 m. When you are cracking, but try to eek out that last bit and put yourself even more or into the red again, you blow up. That's why Mäder could then drop him later on and why he shipped so much time. He'd have needed to accept Pogacar is gone and ride within himself to limit the loss. Obviously easier said than done.
    While not wanting to drone on endlessly about the physiological side of things, it does seem like Pogacar has elite lactate clearance (like Pidcock and MvdP) and Vingegaard decidedly does not! Pogacar was able to recover almost completely from following Vingegaard's attack while Vingegaard was on a knife's edge the whole time. Maybe Vingegaard is more a Quintana type (super light diesel) and basically needs to be extremely judicious with attacking?
    I can roll with that analysis 🧐
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Caught up with this. Reminded me of the rules of March - if your top rider is in long sleeves and his rival in short sleeves, he’s gonna have a bad one.