British Honours

Comments

• MattFalle said:

I would have thought G would be worth more than an OBE.

Initially, I thought you'd meant it would be awarded for services to banter but he does actually run a charitable trust, so, foix, fair play.
    It would be more honourable to pay tax… most of these folks are well advised on how to be tax efficient.
    I never quite understood hiding away money so that they can replace government and hand it back the way they prefer… which is the one that gets more likes typically.
    Fuchs charity… pay tax instead!
    he doesn't run a charity

he has put no money into the charity

the charity is nothing to do with his tax planning
    But… they knighted Murray, who I think lives in Monaco, probably hardly pays any tax and no doubt makes significant donations to various charities.
    Pretty much anyone who is someone manages to live in Monaco… I don’t blame them, it’s nice and I would do the same if I could, but knighthood? Maybe not… I would probably feel embarrassed and turn it down

I think Murray lives in Leatherhead. (Per Wiki, so may be wrong.)
    I might confuse him with someone else who got knighted... most likely Lewis Hamilton...

left the forum March 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114

MattFalle said:

Initially, I thought you'd meant it would be awarded for services to banter but he does actually run a charitable trust, so, foix, fair play.
    It would be more honourable to pay tax… most of these folks are well advised on how to be tax efficient.
    I never quite understood hiding away money so that they can replace government and hand it back the way they prefer… which is the one that gets more likes typically.
    he doesn't run a charity

But… they knighted Murray, who I think lives in Monaco, probably hardly pays any tax and no doubt makes significant donations to various charities.
    Pretty much anyone who is someone manages to live in Monaco… I don’t blame them, it’s nice and I would do the same if I could, but knighthood? Maybe not… I would probably feel embarrassed and turn it down

That's quite the strawman you built there, based on not one iota of truth. Good work.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    If you could live just about anywhere, why would you choose Leatherhead? :|
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    ddraver said:

RR was the one I was trying to remember! Saw her riding Llandegla once...

God Tier is for those who have transcended cycling IMO. The ones "the man digging a hole in the road" would know.

In that case God tier is just Wiggins.

Cav, Hoy, Froome and possibly Laura Trott/Kenny on the next rung.

Honestly think this forum over estimates how much people Cate about the Olympics these days and under estimates the visibility of road cycling.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • me-109 said:

Near to Mrs Murray's family?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,548
    I doubt he's in a flat next to the Swan Centre.
    Wikipedia says he lives in Oxshott, which judging by the house prices is a pretty common spot for people with a lot of money. I guess being close to Wimbledon probably has benefits for him too.
  • andyp said:

MattFalle said:

he doesn't run a charity

That's quite the strawman you built there, based on not one iota of truth. Good work.
    Yeah, I mixed it up with Hamilton... not sure why
  • me-109 said:

Worse places than Surrey... good cycling there, if you can bear the traffic...
  • Somebody mentioned Zoe Backstedt... I am sure she will go and do great things, but isn't it a bit early for honours? She won in the Junior ranks FFS.

Probably not a good idea to ruin them when they are still growing, with responsibilities and a public profile that can only damage their career. There will be a time and a place for that.

I am very much in favour of honours being an end of career thing...

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915

me-109 said:

Worse places than Surrey... good cycling there, if you can bear the traffic...
    I meant just Leatherhead, not the whole of Surrey! :)
    Worked out of there and Epsom for years and had many a night ride over the Downs. Some cracking climbs there and far more testing than Box Hill.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

Somebody mentioned Zoe Backstedt... I am sure she will go and do great things, but isn't it a bit early for honours? She won in the Junior ranks FFS.

Probably not a good idea to ruin them when they are still growing, with responsibilities and a public profile that can only damage their career. There will be a time and a place for that.

I am very much in favour of honours being an end of career thing...

She was mentioned in response to Pfeifer Georgi being on the list. Backstedt has already done more.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    Lizzie D just picked up her MBE. Should have been O.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Lizzie trying to tell us something here…

• Pross
    Not cycling sorry but amazed Kevin Sinfield hasn’t had a “promotion” from his OBE. Possible he may have turned something down I suppose but it feels like he has done more meaningful stuff in the last year than most celebs who get knighted.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    Pross said:

Not cycling sorry but amazed Kevin Sinfield hasn’t had a “promotion” from his OBE. Possible he may have turned something down I suppose but it feels like he has done more meaningful stuff in the last year than most celebs who get knighted.

Agree, along with the guy who is running his 365th marathon this year today, whilst holding down a full time job.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    I'm not British, but I've never heard of Kevin Sinfield without googling him. Does such a thing enter into the equation?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    m.r.m. said:

I'm not British, but I've never heard of Kevin Sinfield without googling him. Does such a thing enter into the equation?

Yes.
    The most worthy people getting honours are doing good things and are not celebrities.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Oh I get that. I think that is wonderful. Thought sports people were being discussed in a tier system vs each other.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited January 2023
    m.r.m. said:

Oh I get that. I think that is wonderful. Thought sports people were being discussed in a tier system vs each other.

I don't think fame with the British public really comes into it. Sinfield was a big deal in rugby league, but he's charity efforts since retirement that lead people to think he should have more (and I agree).

With sport though I think there's a bias towards certain events (especially the Olympics). Winning in a GB or England search is prized above winning on behalf of a TV company.

Honestly think this forum over estimates how much people Cate about the Olympics these days and under estimates the visibility of road cycling.

This is essentially the point of my thread - the disconnect between what the British establishment/public value versus what the International cycling community values. As I pointed out, only one rider had got an honour without an Olympic gold (now two).

I don't think there's another sport that has this disconnect.

I would like to see some sort of experiment. Get all the greats of UK cycling to Bruges and see how long it takes them to walk across the main square, humouring all fans that approach them. I think the Kennys would be largely unhindered. The likes of Walls, Kennaugh and Doull MBE certainly despite their MBEs.

Tao and Yates would take longer and the men's big four + Pidcock would probably need to block out an hour at least.

But that's a cycling heartland. I think Pogacar could walk around Cardiff mostly unbothered and I'd probably not spot Vingegaard. (If it was Roglic I'd just think James from work has lost some weight)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

I don't think fame with the British public really comes into it. Sinfield was a big deal in rugby league, but he's charity efforts since retirement that lead people to think he should have more (and I agree).

With sport though I think there's a bias towards certain events (especially the Olympics). Winning in a GB or England search is prized above winning on behalf of a TV company.

This is essentially the point of my thread - the disconnect between what the British establishment/public value versus what the International cycling community values. As I pointed out, only one rider had got an honour without an Olympic gold (now two).

I would like to see some sort of experiment. Get all the greats of UK cycling to Bruges and see how long it takes them to walk across the main square, humouring all fans that approach them. I think the Kennys would be largely unhindered. The likes of Walls, Kennaugh and Doull MBE certainly despite their MBEs.

Tao and Yates would take longer and the men's big four + Pidcock would probably need to block out an hour at least.

But that's a cycling heartland. I think Pogacar could walk around Cardiff mostly unbothered and I'd probably not spot Vingegaard. (If it was Roglic I'd just think James from work has lost some weight)
    If it adds anything to the conversation, my wife has never heard of Eddy Merckx....
    But she's heard of Froome, Thomas, Wiggins, Hoy, Cavendish and most recently Pidcock

I haven't tested her on every single rider, but that's probably it for the British set.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    If you watch Pointless it is amazing how sportspeople with hugely successful careers are not known / quickly forgotten by the public (assuming the 100 people they use are vaguely representative). Then again most of them struggle to identify top politicians or even well known actors / musicians.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    On Pointless last night they had a load of photos of sports stars, and AP McCoy was the lowest score with 9! The greatest NH jockey of all time and only 9 knew who he was!
    No cyclists there though.
  • tailwindhome
    Pross said:

If you watch Pointless it is amazing how sportspeople with hugely successful careers are not known / quickly forgotten by the public (assuming the 100 people they use are vaguely representative). Then again most of them struggle to identify top politicians or even well known actors / musicians.

For context it was part of a discussion of Messi v Pele and fame

I reckoned the big 3 sporting figures who *everyone* knows were Pele, Ali, and Tiger Woods

The only cyclist considered close to this category was Lance
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.

On Pointless last night they had a load of photos of sports stars, and AP McCoy was the lowest score with 9! The greatest NH jockey of all time and only 9 knew who he was!
    No cyclists there though.

This is from a tie-breaker round in Mastermind last month:

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

Pross said:

I reckoned the big 3 sporting figures who *everyone* knows were Pele, Ali, and Tiger Woods

Isn't it an age thing? Do people under 30 know Ali?
  • tailwindhome

Pross said:

Possibly. Probably even.

• RichN95.

Pross said:

Yes. He’s an icon on a par with the likes of Elvis and Marilyn Monroe
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Exactly as Rich says.

Iconic figure.

The recent blockbuster film about him with the Fresh Prince as him won't have done his legacy any harm.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2023

RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

If it adds anything to the conversation, my wife has never heard of Eddy Merckx....
    But she's heard of Froome, Thomas, Wiggins, Hoy, Cavendish and most recently Pidcock

I haven't tested her on every single rider, but that's probably it for the British set.

just asked same of TDV

Ali
    Lance
    Froome
    Cavendish
    Bosrdmsn
    Merckx

and of course the wonderful lush MvdP.

No one else from the list above and TDV is like well cleverer than us.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pele got something like 52 out of 100 on the Pointless round DB was mentioning. David Beckham was top and even he only got 78!