The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I like the plan to get rid of all the junctions that are designed to allow cars to go too fast.
    How do you design a junction to let cars go too fast?
    Like this:

This would slow cars down turning into that junction:

Preferably with a bell bollard on the corner.
    Great fun when the HGV gets stranded on that.
    Looking on Google Maps I can't see any reason why anything larger than a refuse vehicle would need to go down there, it's just a residential access road and not a bus route. Tightening it up would help ensure no HGVs are tempted to use it.
    Granted it's a bit niche, but a lot of our projects involve craning large elements over houses.
    There's always going to be a trade off.

In the kind of urban design you see in Holland, it definitely takes a lot longer to get all the stuff there if you're doing a major piece of housing work, as they won't even attempt to get lorries down there.

You see it - a lot of dumping stuff on the corner of a main road and ferrying it bit by bit down.

Then again, it's standard behaviour to remove windows or even walls to get furniture in.
    Some stuff you can't manhandle; it needs to be craned. You can usually get the crane in there but it often needs a temporary closure of the road. There are also regs for fire appliance access - everything needs to be within 45metres of where you can drive the appliance to.
    Absolutely. It's always a compromise but i guess the rationale is if there's sufficient density the every day usage is sufficient to compensate for that inconvenience for work.

Separately, have always appreciated that they put a lot of brick tiled roads which are just held together by sand, so if you need to do work, you just lift up the bricks rather than having to drill a massive hole
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I like the plan to get rid of all the junctions that are designed to allow cars to go too fast.
    Like this:

Looking on Google Maps I can't see any reason why anything larger than a refuse vehicle would need to go down there, it's just a residential access road and not a bus route. Tightening it up would help ensure no HGVs are tempted to use it.
    Granted it's a bit niche, but a lot of our projects involve craning large elements over houses.
    Presumably you also work in streets the larger cranes can’t access and simply amend the design so that it can be built with smaller plant?

We get similar situations such as commercial sites requiring deliveries in more residential area (small supermarkets etc.) as well as the materials during construction and the maximum size of vehicle just gets covered off in a construction or servicing management plan.
    From what I've seen there aren't many places you absolutely can't get a big vehicle in, but the process of getting it in is a lot more disruptive. Swinging out and reversing in will block the main road for 5 minutes. Not that big a deal but some people seem unable to cope with more than 10 seconds delay without honking, swearing and general aggression.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like this:

In the kind of urban design you see in Holland, it definitely takes a lot longer to get all the stuff there if you're doing a major piece of housing work, as they won't even attempt to get lorries down there.

You see it - a lot of dumping stuff on the corner of a main road and ferrying it bit by bit down.

Then again, it's standard behaviour to remove windows or even walls to get furniture in.
    Some stuff you can't manhandle; it needs to be craned. You can usually get the crane in there but it often needs a temporary closure of the road. There are also regs for fire appliance access - everything needs to be within 45metres of where you can drive the appliance to.
    Absolutely. It's always a compromise but i guess the rationale is if there's sufficient density the every day usage is sufficient to compensate for that inconvenience for work.

Separately, have always appreciated that they put a lot of brick tiled roads which are just held together by sand, so if you need to do work, you just lift up the bricks rather than having to drill a massive hole
    I'll let Pross comment on unbound paving.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    (should add it's only used for the slowest resi roads, basically 30kph)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Like this:

I'll let Pross comment on unbound paving.
    Blockwork on sand bedding is actually fine and there are British Standards covering it, it often gets used in heavily trafficked areas like loading yards or docks (they stand up to vehicles turning better than blacktop) although in heavy duty uses it usually has a blacktop base below the laying course so still needs breaking out. Unfortunately, as with a lot of things, it gets a bad reputation in some quarters because of it being laid badly and failing. You then get authorities saying they won't accept it other than in very minor roads as it fails. The other issue is reinstatements are usually done badly and sink or, worse still, the Statutory Undertaker just decides to fill with blacktop instead
  • Wouldn't they just get nicked?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    edited September 2023

A 'bike highway' running between Daejon and Sejong in South Korea is a sight —or rather, a concept —, you surely haven't thought of before: It stretches for 20 miles (32 km), and it not only shields cyclists from the sun but also generates power at the same time.
    https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/south-korean-20-mile-solar-bike-highway-generates-electricity

I love the sound of this setup in South Korea.
  • What if all main roads were covered with solar panels and EV's had an extension from the roof to charge from the grid?
  • focuszing723
    edited September 2023

Now German and Austrian researchers are trying to find out how the dense Autobahn network that covers 2.6% of the overall area of Germany, could instead switch gears to help the environment.

A three-year long project has started to assess whether canopies covering stretches of the Autobahn could be fitted with solar power systems and so contribute to the energy transition in Germany.

The theoretical potential is tremendous. Considering all 13,000km of the Autobahn network, assuming a width of 24 metres of a standard four-lane highway, and using PV panels with a capacity of 180 watts per square meter would result in a capacity of 56GW – more than the 49GW in blacktop Germany had installed at the end of last year.
    https://www.rechargenews.com/transition/solar-panel-covered-autobahn-could-speed-german-energy-transition/2-1-854215
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    edited September 2023
    Still cars though, once they get into traffic.
  • I like the idea of e/bikes being able to use it too, perhaps not the Autobahn though.
  • It's just the idea to use redundant space, a great solution.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666

What if all main roads were covered with solar panels and EV's had an extension from the roof to charge from the grid?

??

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• What if all main roads were covered with solar panels and EV's had an extension from the roof to charge from the grid?

??
    Yep, but in a straightish line without the crashes, once they're off the main road they're boosted in charge.

• A 'bike highway' running between Daejon and Sejong in South Korea is a sight —or rather, a concept —, you surely haven't thought of before: It stretches for 20 miles (32 km), and it not only shields cyclists from the sun but also generates power at the same time.
    https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/south-korean-20-mile-solar-bike-highway-generates-electricity

Only if you assume thar the cycling experience should be without any pleasure, other than arriving at your destination. Can't think of a more unpleasant place to be..
  • focuszing723
    edited September 2023

A 'bike highway' running between Daejon and Sejong in South Korea is a sight —or rather, a concept —, you surely haven't thought of before: It stretches for 20 miles (32 km), and it not only shields cyclists from the sun but also generates power at the same time.

Only if you assume thar the cycling experience should be without any pleasure, other than arriving at your destination. Can't think of a more unpleasant place to be..
    For commuting between Towns and Cities and the side view isn't blocked. This would/could be for main roads. Look at how E bikes are evolving too, quick efficient transportation.

• A 'bike highway' running between Daejon and Sejong in South Korea is a sight —or rather, a concept —, you surely haven't thought of before: It stretches for 20 miles (32 km), and it not only shields cyclists from the sun but also generates power at the same time.

For commuting between Towns and Cities and the side view isn't blocked. This would/could be for main roads. Look at how E bikes are evolving too, quick efficient transportation.

Still horrible. Only exit would be at widely-spaced junctions. Surrounded by particulates (brake and tyre wear). Boring scenery. Noise. I'd rather drive, and I hate driving.

Better to do what France is doing and force all (large) car parks to be roofed in solar panels.... keeps the cars cooler too.

Better to do what France is doing and force all (large) car parks to be roofed in solar panels.... keeps the cars cooler too.
    Yep, good idea too.
  • https://undecidedmf.com/how-can-a-wind-turbine-be-motionless/
    Designs like this too, perhaps for places with minimal average yearly sun but reasonable wind. The generators using the Venturi effect and a small turbine.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086

It's not new; they have had a Pacific Coast Highway Bike Route which goes through Seattle for a while now.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

It's not new; they have had a Pacific Coast Highway Bike Route which goes through Seattle for a while now.

With solar panels above it?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086

pinno said:

With solar panels above it?

No but I don't get hung up on minor details.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • It was always daft to try to do it before the rest of Eurup.
  • Stevo_666

It was always daft to try to do it before the rest of Eurup.

Well quite. No point punishing ourselves trying to be virtuous, especially when there's pressure on the cost of living.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Stevo_666 said:
    Wasn’t the original plan part of the Tory manifesto at the last GE (that they won)?

I’m struggling to see how moving away from policies they were elected to carry out is a vote winner.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Wasn’t the original plan part of the Tory manifesto at the last GE (that they won)?

I’m struggling to see how moving away from policies they were elected to carry out is a vote winner.
    I think you're just hoping it isn't. Smart move by Rishi in any event.
  • rjsterry
    Judging by the level of backlash from within his own party already, this won't even make it to the next King's Speech.
    Pinnacle Monzonite