The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

Hasn't congestion charging existed and then been replaced?

No. It still exists for central London. £15 a day to drive in central London between 7am and 6pm weekdays, noon - 6pm weekends. That's on top of the ULEZ charge if you are in a non-compliant car.

ULEZ previous boundary was "inner" London, which is a larger area than the congestion charge zone.
    Except for taxis and private hire cars. Really wish they were made to pay.
    Totally impractical if they had to go regularly in and out of the zone,

"Iwford you say mate?.. nah, not goin' out a the zone; cost you a faaaawtune".

Anyhoo, I thought you were bored of this current theme and here you are perpetuating?

Aren't you lot bored yet?

Trying to discourage usage of private hire vehicles is on topic I would have thought.
    Never understood the leeway taxis get when they are basically doing two trips instead of a private car’s single trip (unless they get another pickup straight away).
    They're a material part of the final mile of public transport, unfortunately.

if you arrange your society and towns around the car, you're gonna need cars to get non-car owners around.
    They're not in London.
    As everyone keeps telling me on this thread, there's more to life than London.

I'd agree that London has a pretty comprehensive public transport system and the rest of the UK could learn from it, especially urban areas.

I'd even go as far as to say the future of travel will look a lot like London does at the moment, but then that is a city where they have effectively discouraged car travel both because of the limits of geometry and abundant, useful public transport.

Most applicable to other urban areas, but, since the trend is more and denser urbanisation, that stands to reason.
    Too late for the rest of the UK cities. Retrofitting rail, light rail or underground is unaffordable. I've watched the team going in in Edinburgh for 15 years and at great expense. When kts done it'll be as good as the bus was 15 years ago.

Manchester is pretty good, mind you.
    It doesn't have to cost that much. Edinburgh and Birmingham are exercises in absurdity. I think I saw somewhere that one is more expensive per km than HS2.
    It was the wrong solution, given the nature of the city.

Borders Rail cost £350 million for 35 miles. So about 10 times better value. But that didn't require building many new bridges or embankments because it had only been closed for 50 years.

And it runs on pre existing lines in the city.

There's no getting away from the fact that if the city is already there, either you use infrastructure that's already there to some extent, or spend a shjt-ton of money moving a bit of the city or going under it.

Almost all UK cities had a tram system - even hilly places like Bristol - so that really shouldn't be difficult to reinstate. Light rail is more difficult of course.
    Try selling that idea to the residents of Edinburgh.
    1871-1956
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Edinburgh#:~:text=Trams operated in Edinburgh from,in the city in 1888.
    And yet it cost £100m a mile almost.

Combination of factors. Weight of trams and associated vehicle traffic was one issue. Both are much much heavier than in 1888. Surface around rails initially crumbled.

Also, no one had any idea where the sewers actually were. Quite possibly they'd have avoided the New Town had they known.

I'm a big fan of electric trolley busses. Light rail seems an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. A trolley bus on the right rpute with priority at lights can achieve basically the same thing. I would also say I've never seen a less space efficient way to carry passengers than the Edinburgh tram. So a bus shaped object is more space efficient as well.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited September 2023
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

No. It still exists for central London. £15 a day to drive in central London between 7am and 6pm weekdays, noon - 6pm weekends. That's on top of the ULEZ charge if you are in a non-compliant car.

ULEZ previous boundary was "inner" London, which is a larger area than the congestion charge zone.

Anyhoo, I thought you were bored of this current theme and here you are perpetuating?

Trying to discourage usage of private hire vehicles is on topic I would have thought.
    Never understood the leeway taxis get when they are basically doing two trips instead of a private car’s single trip (unless they get another pickup straight away).

if you arrange your society and towns around the car, you're gonna need cars to get non-car owners around.
    They're not in London.

I'd agree that London has a pretty comprehensive public transport system and the rest of the UK could learn from it, especially urban areas.

I'd even go as far as to say the future of travel will look a lot like London does at the moment, but then that is a city where they have effectively discouraged car travel both because of the limits of geometry and abundant, useful public transport.

Most applicable to other urban areas, but, since the trend is more and denser urbanisation, that stands to reason.
    Too late for the rest of the UK cities. Retrofitting rail, light rail or underground is unaffordable. I've watched the team going in in Edinburgh for 15 years and at great expense. When kts done it'll be as good as the bus was 15 years ago.

It doesn't have to cost that much. Edinburgh and Birmingham are exercises in absurdity. I think I saw somewhere that one is more expensive per km than HS2.

Borders Rail cost £350 million for 35 miles. So about 10 times better value. But that didn't require building many new bridges or embankments because it had only been closed for 50 years.

There's no getting away from the fact that if the city is already there, either you use infrastructure that's already there to some extent, or spend a shjt-ton of money moving a bit of the city or going under it.

Almost all UK cities had a tram system - even hilly places like Bristol - so that really shouldn't be difficult to reinstate. Light rail is more difficult of course.
    1871-1956
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Edinburgh#:~:text=Trams operated in Edinburgh from,in the city in 1888.
    Yeah, I was referring to the re-installation, cost, time and hassle. Plus, AFAIK the trams simply replicate current bus routes which are now being made electric.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

Combination of factors. Weight of trams and associated vehicle traffic was one issue. Both are much much heavier than in 1888. Surface around rails initially crumbled.

Also, no one had any idea where the sewers actually were. Quite possibly they'd have avoided the New Town had they known.

I'm a big fan of electric trolley busses. Light rail seems an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. A trolley bus on the right rpute with priority at lights can achieve basically the same thing. I would also say I've never seen a less space efficient way to carry passengers than the Edinburgh tram. So a bus shaped object is more space efficient as well.
    Was it not simply a good idea badly executed?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

Was it not simply a good idea badly executed?
    No.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Probably a good idea to work out where the sewers are though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956
    Yeah, I was referring to the re-installation, cost, time and hassle. Plus, AFAIK the trams simply replicate current bus routes which are now being made electric.
    Was more a counter to the argument that rail has to be ridiculously expensive in the UK. Trolley buses sound like a good option.

Since I was at primary school, Bristol has been fiddling with the idea of a light rail system to replace the actual railway that was ripped out within living memory, but still nothing to show.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    edited September 2023
    FWIW when I was in Edinburgh last year I found the public transport to be excellent. A combination of trams and buses did a great job along with walking (by choice in pouring rain).
  • rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956
    Was more a counter to the argument that rail has to be ridiculously expensive in the UK. Trolley buses sound like a good option.

Since I was at primary school, Bristol has been fiddling with the idea of a light rail system to replace the actual railway that was ripped out within living memory, but still nothing to show.

At least they've just opened the new station at Portbury, and the Henbury loop seems to be in the pipeline.
  • Pross
    edited September 2023
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

For 25 years I’ve worked on schemes with S106 contributions towards a Bristol tram / light rail scheme. In the end they spent it on a few extra bus services.
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

For 25 years I’ve worked on schemes with S106 contributions towards a Bristol tram / light rail scheme. In the end they spent it on a few extra bus services.
    International Olympic standard dithering. I think it's significant that most of the rail and tram network was built as commercial ventures. Some of them failed but there was a bit more ambition and drive and a bit less endless consultation.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    If you have a world full of FA’s you’d never get things done.

the cost of doing nothing is always massively underestimated with this sfuff
  • If you have a world full of FA’s you’d never get things done.

the cost of doing nothing is always massively underestimated with this sfuff

The only bad decision is no decision.

I read the same book I think.
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

International Olympic standard dithering. I think it's significant that most of the rail and tram network was built as commercial ventures. Some of them failed but there was a bit more ambition and drive and a bit less endless consultation.
    Are you referring to the original network built in the Victorian era?
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

Yes.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

Careful what you wish for. Tram tracks are a shotshow for cyclists when they are new, and for cyclists and pedestrians once they've crumbled a bit.
  • rjsterry

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

Careful what you wish for. Tram tracks are a shotshow for cyclists when they are new, and for cyclists and pedestrians once they've crumbled a bit.
    How did we manage for the best part of 70 years?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

Has it ever occurred to you that victorian technology might not be the best way forward?

Traffic is bigger and there is massively more of it than 70 years ago. There is also more wilful disregard of anyone not driving by those that are. Crossing tracks on your own not under pressure is a doddle in all weathers. Crossing tracks at an angle forced by a driver next to you and being prevented from stopping by one right up your chuff is more difficult.
  • rick_chasey

Traffic is bigger and there is massively more of it than 70 years ago. There is also more wilful disregard of anyone not driving by those that are. Crossing tracks on your own not under pressure is a doddle in all weathers. Crossing tracks at an angle forced by a driver next to you and being prevented from stopping by one right up your chuff is more difficult.

This is because we have travel infrastructure that is geared towards car driving and not cycling.

It's bad design. Entirely solvable.
  • pblakeney
    Trams are not the solution in a day of electric buses. Unless you want to make things more expensive, dangerous and incur a decade of inconvenience during construction.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023
    pblakeney said:

Trams are not the solution in a day of electric buses. Unless you want to make things more expensive, dangerous and incur a decade of inconvenience during construction.

Fairly sure I read somewhere that Trams are the most cost-effective public transport when done right.

Plus, given we're worried about particulates in this thread; busses are much worse for that - tyre degradation, brake dust etc, than trams.
  • pblakeney said:

Fairly sure I read somewhere that Trams are the most cost-effective public transport when done right.

Plus, given we're worried about particulates in this thread; busses are much worse for that - tyre degradation, brake dust etc, than trams.
    I'm sorry you are going to need to evidence that. I would put money on any analysis that states that not including some other options that happen to be cheaper.
  • pblakeney said:

You know Trams have brakes, right?

These are comparatively small contributions anyway, once you exclude all of the 2010 diesel astras and lifestyle wood burning heating systems in Finchley.
  • pinno
    edited September 2023
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

Yes.
    But that was before the population was 60+ million and before elf and safety and before there was cabling and god knows what underground and that was before the era of bureaucracy and obfuscating planning depts and NIMBYism and politics...

• pblakeney
    edited September 2023

pblakeney said:

I'm sure that you can see the issue right there in this country of everything being done (initially) on the cheap. Guarantee most of the budget blown on consultation.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

pblakeney said:

I'm sorry you are going to need to evidence that. I would put money on any analysis that states that not including some other options that happen to be cheaper.
    I know the Scots are very good at f*cking public works up but that doesn't necessarily apply for the rest of the world.

https://bathtrams.uk/solving-baths-traffic/comparative-benefits-trams-vs-buses/#:~:text=As per above the cost,per passenger km than buses.

I can't find where I read it, but a quick google brings the above up. Essential argument seems to be that over a cycle of 40-50 years plus, the trams come up trumps, and that's before you get to the obvious sustainability argument; trams are more energy efficient.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

Has it ever occurred to you that victorian technology might not be the best way forward?

Traffic is bigger by choice. It's the result of deliberate town planning policies from the 1930s onwards. It didn't just happen. I'm not convinced that there is anything fundamentally different between UK cities and those in Europe that still use trams. Granted 90 years of prioritising motor vehicles can not be undone overnight, but fatalist can't-be-done-ism is not a way forward.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney said:

I know the Scots are very good at f*cking public works up but that doesn't necessarily apply for the rest of the world.

https://bathtrams.uk/solving-baths-traffic/comparative-benefits-trams-vs-buses/#:~:text=As per above the cost,per passenger km than buses.

I can't find where I read it, but a quick google brings the above up. Essential argument seems to be that over a cycle of 40-50 years plus, the trams come up trumps, and that's before you get to the obvious sustainability argument; trams are more energy efficient.
    A projection over that timescale is speculative at best, because its based on current technology and energy mix.
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

They're not in London.

1871-1956

Traffic is bigger by choice. It's the result of deliberate town planning policies from the 1930s onwards. It didn't just happen. I'm not convinced that there is anything fundamentally different between UK cities and those in Europe that still use trams. Granted 90 years of prioritising motor vehicles can not be undone overnight, but fatalist can't-be-done-ism is not a way forward.
    And you call me idealistic.

The only difference between cities with trams and those without is that the ones with trams, by and large, never did away with them in the first place.

And suggesting "not trams" is not suggesting "not anything". A trolley bus achieves the same thing in the same place without rails more cheaply (initially). They would use the infrastructure that already exists, plus some overhead lines and, in Firstopia, priority at every controlled junction.

People tend to think of busses as having the odd bus lane that's ignored, but otherwise being stuck in with the rest of traffic. There's no reason this should be so.

I think we can all agree that in addition to costs, the main barrier to anything resembling progress is the perception that reducing road space is bad. I mean it's hard enough getting 2 metres out of the side of one lane without that also being available for parking.
  • Pross
    edited September 2023
    pblakeney said:

Trams carry a lot more people. The (electric) bus I was on yesterday only had seating in the rear two thirds. Also, due to the batteries, the seating is set really high leavng me getting thrown around and feeling a bit travel sick. Horses for courses really, trams / light rail for the main routes and buses for the spurs with lower demand. With both they tend to be significantly better when on their own dedicated infrastructure rather than sharing roads with other modes.

Also, as for the comment above that trams are a bad idea around cyclists, a lot of cities where cycling is a popular means of transport also have extensive tram networks.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,528
    Another difference between London and other places is that the buses seem to carry more people. The definition of full is quite a bit different.