The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited September 2023

Bring it on, but I think he didn't see that as an achievable next step. I think for inner London, congestion charging is the likely next move.

Then when something further is needed for outer London, the infrastructure is ready.
  • Hasn't congestion charging existed and then been replaced?
  • With regards the Birmingham Uni article. Isn't this essentially outlining the real crux of the issue, that to improve environmental impacts and therefore increase health outcomes, we need a range of infrastructure and behavioural changes?

I do agree that ULEZ and clean air zones as a standalone measure are not enough (although an important piece of the puzzle IMO).

It's been hinted at throughout this thread, but one of the biggest issues is structural and economic inequality (as is the cause of most lower health related outcomes).

Installing clean air zones needs to be implemented alongside more green spaces, less car journeys, less densely populated housing, more efficient public transport etc.

• Is the direction of travel for a lot of that the wrong direction?

Interestingly, just looked up ONS data for total UK vehicle miles travelled. Down by 50% since 2011.

That can't be right, surely?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,531
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

This is exhausting

Have you taken a bus recently?
    Not for a few weeks. I get a local train more regularly.

It's very reliable actually. Slower than cycling though.
    That sounds in keeping with the thread. Sell your car too!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,668
    The start of the new school year today in our area and the associated massive increase in traffic on my route to work hammers home just how much people reply on their cars. It's insane. Cars are an intrinsic part of life now and I think some people would rather lose a hand than give up their car.
    I can't see this changing anytime soon.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

No. It still exists for central London. £15 a day to drive in central London between 7am and 6pm weekdays, noon - 6pm weekends. That's on top of the ULEZ charge if you are in a non-compliant car.

ULEZ previous boundary was "inner" London, which is a larger area than the congestion charge zone.
  • TheBigBean

Hasn't congestion charging existed and then been replaced?

No. It still exists for central London. £15 a day to drive in central London between 7am and 6pm weekdays, noon - 6pm weekends. That's on top of the ULEZ charge if you are in a non-compliant car.

ULEZ previous boundary was "inner" London, which is a larger area than the congestion charge zone.
    Except for taxis and private hire cars. Really wish they were made to pay.

So this is what confuses me. Most of the problem is cars per se, so why make the congestion charge component contingent on what you are driving? Even EVs create congestion and increase emissions by other vehicles.

I guess if everyone is in EVs it's up to them how they spend the day, but we aren't there yet.

So this is what confuses me. Most of the problem is cars per se, so why make the congestion charge component contingent on what you are driving? Even EVs create congestion and increase emissions by other vehicles.

I guess if everyone is in EVs it's up to them how they spend the day, but we aren't there yet.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited September 2023

It also makes little sense for electric vehicles to get a 100% discount from a congestion charge. They cause just as much congestion.

At least that one is being phased out.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

rjsterry said:

It's not the way to do policy.

Just imagining a double blind test with school children in scuba gear to prove the toxicity of various pollutants.

FA, you have a hopelessly idealistic view of how policy is made.
    I am not, but I find the idea odd that because there are other bad policies, a new bad policy is okay.

The pollutants are toxic. The policy doesn't change exposure significantly.

This is you guys:

https://youtu.be/tO5sxLapAts?si=s7Tt8ZKxYkEJS2Rr
    More of a case that the policy is imperfect (and let's be honest, the gentlest of discouragements to pollute) but is heading in the right direction. Once the sky has not fallen in over this that sets the scene for other more substantial emission controls
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

The EV discount is going at the end of 2025 (!) - it's been there to encourage uptake, I guess, but not really any sense for it continuing.

Additional measures like school streets, LTNs and reducing the space available for cars and increasing it for cycles and pedestrians also have an effect of reducing car use.

If you drive in central London, you really do have a van full of stuff or you massively prefer going slowly to seeing any of the public.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

pangolin said:

This is exhausting

Have you taken a bus recently?
    Currently sat on one (electric too) for the second time this week in order to get to the train station.

It’s amazing how much more convenient it becomes when it allows you to have a few drinks on a beautiful sunny afternoon!
  • Pross
    Downside of travelling on this bus is the back half (where virtually all the non-priority seating is located) is really high, presumably due to the batteries, and has left me feeling sick before I’ve even touched a drop.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    edited September 2023

Totally impractical if they had to go regularly in and out of the zone,

"Iwford you say mate?.. nah, not goin' out a the zone; cost you a faaaawtune".

Anyhoo, I thought you were bored of this current theme and here you are perpetuating?

Aren't you lot bored yet?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

It's £15 for the whole day.
  • TheBigBean
    pinno said:

Anyhoo, I thought you were bored of this current theme and here you are perpetuating?

Trying to discourage usage of private hire vehicles is on topic I would have thought.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Marginally more on topic; seen quite a few DHL and FeEx trikes around the 'hood, with an electric motor to assist the cycling delivery person.

'tis the future that. Quiet, no hassle with traffic calming measures etc.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    'cycling delivery person;'.

Hmm...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • You already see EV delivery vans. Yeah, the cycling bit is a bit futile given the weight of the packages.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,916
    edited September 2023
  • Developed in liaison with the UK’s top last-mile delivery experts we take great pride in our current design as the go-to trike for those who need a tough and reliable vehicle.

With a load carrying capacity of up to 250kgs and 1.5m cubed capacity our trikes are capable and stable around town.

Powerful motors and large batteries give awesome daily range.

Battery Power

These 1440wh, 48 volt batteries surpass any previous models in terms of range and charge cycle lifespan which can stretch from 8 to 10 years!

Both Heinzmann motors and AES batteries are a familiar pairing with many thousands of units being used, for instance, by the German postal services.
    https://icenicycles.co.uk/iceni-cargo-trike/
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,668

Not easy to do a 'shoulder check' on that is it, but then most delivery drivers on bicycles I've seen don't seem to give a damn anyway.
    Nice idea though.
    You'd almost want indicators on that too.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Hmmmm, a camera on the back and some type of Google Glasses thing?

The EV discount is going at the end of 2025 (!) - it's been there to encourage uptake, I guess, but not really any sense for it continuing.

Additional measures like school streets, LTNs and reducing the space available for cars and increasing it for cycles and pedestrians also have an effect of reducing car use.

If you drive in central London, you really do have a van full of stuff or you massively prefer going slowly to seeing any of the public.
    Yes but if people are on foot, and not driving, it's puts local shops out of business apparently. I have to say, the number of drive through newsagents has dropped dramatically in recent years.

Funnily enough I like all of these ideas solely on the grounds of making somewhere nicer to live or work or visit.

Hey ho.
  • Hmmmm, a camera on the back and some type of Google Glasses thing?

If only there was some technology that would do the same kind of thing but cheaper.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644

Not easy to do a 'shoulder check' on that is it, but then most delivery drivers on bicycles I've seen don't seem to give a damn anyway.
    Nice idea though.
    You'd almost want indicators on that too.
    TBH they have more visibility in residential areas than any van.

• Pross

pinno said:

Trying to discourage usage of private hire vehicles is on topic I would have thought.
    Never understood the leeway taxis get when they are basically doing two trips instead of a private car’s single trip (unless they get another pickup straight away).