The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

At present it looks like the lack of advance warning signs for the new ULEZ means that any fines can probably be sufcessfully contested. Good old tory controlled home counties councils :smile:

Stevo_666 said:

Possibly those who were responsible for the inadequate signage are the stupid ones as its could cost them millions.

Quite funny insult to the tories there. 🤣
    A quick Google tell me tfl are responsible for managing managing the LEZ ;)
    But you said the signage was done by the "Good old tory controlled home counties councils". Can't have it both ways.
    I think the councils are withholding permission to put them up at all, in fairness.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I mean, given TFL are running a big deficit because not enough people are using their trains anymore, charging £12.50 a day to drive your car in seems eminently sensible, as it lets you have it both ways; either it forces people onto public transport and reduces car traffic in the city with all the associated benefits, or it raises money.

It could just deter people from coming into London at all, but then a) I think that's unlikely and b) London is busy enough as it is.

Sorry, what? There's been a drop in demand for public transport because of home working, and that's the reason for ULEZ?

Or is it for public health?

Or is it a congestion charge, levvied on the poor only?

No one can seem to agree.
    Who cares. It's about the outcomes, not the whys.

If it it reduces congestion/ pollution, that's a win.

if it raises money from travel into London, that's a win, especially when raising money from TFL travel has fallen.

I don't see why you're so het up on the why.
    Probably because I am a leftie.

The outcomes are unfair and, given the size of the zone now, it will penalise car usage where there is no real alternative, i.e. anything not directly into or out of the centre.
    At present it looks like the lack of advance warning signs for the new ULEZ means that any fines can probably be sufcessfully contested. Good old tory controlled home counties councils :smile:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/28/ulez-signs-could-be-unlawful-tribunal-ruling-london/
    How can he claim not to have known about the charges after he got the first fine?

Edit - he runs a company with a fleet of HGVs and claims not to have any awareness of what the ULEZ signs might have been.

Also now a Reform party candidate, so it's possible he really could be that stupid.
    Why do you think the tribunal ruled in his favour?

Possibly those who were responsible for the inadequate signage are the stupid ones as its could cost them millions.
    You think it's actually possible that he operated a fleet of vehicles and claimed in 2020 not to know that the ULEZ signs meant there could be charges? Haha.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

But you said the signage was done by the "Good old tory controlled home counties councils". Can't have it both ways.
    I think the councils are withholding permission to put them up at all, in fairness.
    Yeah, so the tory controlled councils are responsible for the inadequate signage so are the stupid ones as its could cost them millions.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I mean, given TFL are running a big deficit because not enough people are using their trains anymore, charging £12.50 a day to drive your car in seems eminently sensible, as it lets you have it both ways; either it forces people onto public transport and reduces car traffic in the city with all the associated benefits, or it raises money.

It could just deter people from coming into London at all, but then a) I think that's unlikely and b) London is busy enough as it is.

Sorry, what? There's been a drop in demand for public transport because of home working, and that's the reason for ULEZ?

if it raises money from travel into London, that's a win, especially when raising money from TFL travel has fallen.

The outcomes are unfair and, given the size of the zone now, it will penalise car usage where there is no real alternative, i.e. anything not directly into or out of the centre.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/28/ulez-signs-could-be-unlawful-tribunal-ruling-london/
    How can he claim not to have known about the charges after he got the first fine?

Edit - he runs a company with a fleet of HGVs and claims not to have any awareness of what the ULEZ signs might have been.

Also now a Reform party candidate, so it's possible he really could be that stupid.

You think it's actually possible that he operated a fleet of vehicles and claimed in 2020 not to know that the ULEZ signs meant there could be charges? Haha.
    Given how good some "professional" drivers are at driving, I think it's entirely plausible they'd be shocking at running businesses too
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,608
    pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No - the tory councils have stopped tfl from putting ULEZ warning signage on their land.

The LEZ is a different scheme that has been around for a dew years and applies only to hgvs, buses etc over a certain weight.

No smartarse points for you today ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yeah, so the tory controlled councils are responsible for the inadequate signage so are the stupid ones as its could cost them millions.
    No, I think the issue is with the information content of the signs that are actually there. Bit like signs on the entry to car parks, I assume this means they will noe all grow a long Annex with the T&Cs on there.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

No - the tory councils have stopped tfl from putting ULEZ warning signage on their land.

The LEZ is a different scheme that has been around for a dew years and applies only to hgvs, buses etc over a certain weight.

No smartarse points for you today ;)
    The same principles for LEZ signage will apply to ULEZ signage from today.
    I am looking forwards, not backwards.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    It will come down to whether the signs are prescribed in the TSRGD (or have revived approval). If they have it will all be covered by the Regulations and it is up to drivers to understand the implications.

I can sort of understand the argument but at the same time drivers aren’t told on a sign that they can be fined for parking on a double yellow line, exceeding the speed limit or other breaches of sign traffic orders so it all comes down to whether the sign ties up with a Regulation. I suspect the preliminary ruling will get overturned as the people who deal with road signs and TROs are real nerds.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

It will come down to whether the signs are prescribed in the TSRGD (or have revived approval). If they have it will all be covered by the Regulations and it is up to drivers to understand the implications.

I can sort of understand the argument but at the same time drivers aren’t told on a sign that they can be fined for parking on a double yellow line, exceeding the speed limit or other breaches of sign traffic orders so it all comes down to whether the sign ties up with a Regulation. I suspect the preliminary ruling will get overturned as the people who deal with road signs and TROs are real nerds.

Would it be something like this?

https://assets.dft.gov.uk/trafficauths/case-5054.pdf
  • Pross
    Yep, just found authorisations dated 2022 and 2020 so they are definitely authorised signs. It will need more reading to see how the approval links to a Regulation allowing drivers to be fined but I’d be amazed if it isn’t there. In that case the tribunal judgement would appear to be purely that you have to tell a driver entering the zone requires payment. I would think it comes under the category of ignorance being no defence but I guess we’ll see.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Yep, just found authorisations dated 2022 and 2020 so they are definitely authorised signs. It will need more reading to see how the approval links to a Regulation allowing drivers to be fined but I’d be amazed if it isn’t there. In that case the tribunal judgement would appear to be purely that you have to tell a driver entering the zone requires payment. I would think it comes under the category of ignorance being no defence but I guess we’ll see.

The Telegraph article quotes TFL as saying "the low emission zone signs were deemed lawful by the Department of Transport in 2008. “We are investigating why the correct evidence was not submitted,” it added. "

Could well just be bad prep for the tribunal - I wouldn't be hanging any hope on it, anyway.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,092

Pross said:

The Telegraph article quotes TFL as saying "the low emission zone signs were deemed lawful by the Department of Transport in 2008. “We are investigating why the correct evidence was not submitted,” it added. "

Could well just be bad prep for the tribunal - I wouldn't be hanging any hope on it, anyway.
    It's also the Telegraph, so likely to be complete bollox.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

At the end of the article it says that the DfT approved the signage as being in accordance with requirements. It'll be interesting to see this one played out.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Yep and it is very much an individual decision to a specific challenge. The way the right wing press are headlining it gives the impression it is a silver bullet to kills the ULEZs.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Yep and it is very much an individual decision to a specific challenge. The way the right wing press are headlining it gives the impression it is a silver bullet to kills the ULEZs.
    There is a slight difference between the LEZ and expanded ULEZ situation: in the case of the LEZ, that argument was theat the signage was inadequate in that it did not warn about the need to potentially pay a charge. The problem for Citizen Khan is that all but one of the counry councils bordering London have not allowed tfl to put up any form of ULEZ warning signage. So it's a bit tricky to see how a complete absence of signage will be compliant?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

There is a slight difference between the LEZ and expanded ULEZ situation: in the case of the LEZ, that argument was theat the signage was inadequate in that it did not warn about the need to potentially pay a charge. The problem for Citizen Khan is that all but one of the counry councils bordering London have not allowed tfl to put up any form of ULEZ warning signage. So it's a bit tricky to see how a complete absence of signage will be compliant?
    There is signage inside the zone. It's of a piece with wasting your money on a doomed legal challenge for your Conservative council to have so little concern for their constituents that they wouldn't allow them to be warned about potentially being charged, but you get what you vote for, I guess.

• Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

That depends on whether the advanced signage is mandatory or just to give drivers additional warning.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

There is signage inside the zone. It's of a piece with wasting your money on a doomed legal challenge for your Conservative council to have so little concern for their constituents that they wouldn't allow them to be warned about potentially being charged, but you get what you vote for, I guess.

Bit late once you're already in. And very likely can be successfully contested.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    It's quite easy to draw a line between health of Londoners and car pollution.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

That depends on whether the advanced signage is mandatory or just to give drivers additional warning.
    According to tfl 's own website there should be advance signage - the tiny flaw in the planning that there aren't (except for the Slough boundary which is tiny).
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ulez-road-signs
    Why else was Citizen Khan pleading with the home counties councils to let him install them?
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Depends where the signs are and where you are caught, really.

Like I say, I'm sure we'll find out when someone radicalised by The Telegraph loses their appeal.

• Stevo_666

It's quite easy to draw a line between health of Londoners and car pollution.

Can we see your evidence? Hopefully it is independent evidence, unlike that used by Sadiq Khan to justify the expansion.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Like I say, I'm sure we'll find out when someone radicalised by The Telegraph loses their appeal.

No radicals, just some poor sods whom are getting ripped off by tfl. The legal view seems to be that unless there is clear warning that you will be entering the zone, appeals will be successful.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/24/challenge-ulez-fines-no-signs-loophole/

It'll be fun finding out :smile:
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

No radicals, just some poor sods whom are getting ripped off by tfl. The legal view seems to be that unless there is clear warning that you will be entering the zone, appeals will be successful.

Are you going to put yourself forward for a test case or rely on others?
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Anyone who can afford Nick Freeman to represent them should just pay the fine.
  • kingstongraham
    I don't think you can carry on getting fines in the same car in the same place and keep arguing you didn't know there were fines for driving it there.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Are you going to put yourself forward for a test case or rely on others?
    Sadly I can't as my cars are all compliant.

It also assumes that there are working ULEZ cameras left to catch people.
    https://mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-ulez-cameras-vandalised-red-30808462
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Anyone who can afford Nick Freeman to represent them should just pay the fine.
    More relevant is his view on the legal position. I think he is right.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,092
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Very much enjoying your transformation to a bleeding heart leftie.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Very much enjoying your transformation to a bleeding heart leftie.
    Sorry, am I treading on your toes? ;)