The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

yeah soz.

I fancy Morocco for an upset but not Switzerland.

Broken clocks and all that
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Portugal battering the Swiss.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Draw opens up for winners of France/England
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    Portugal looking good without CR7, best they've played by a distance.
  • tailwindhome
    Was looking forward to a France Spain semi final too

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Was looking forward to a France Spain semi final too

yup, this. all gone to poopoo now though.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • tailwindhome
    6-1 to Portugal

Teams stepping up a gear.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    Very impressive performance by Portugal. Probably the best of the tournament so far by any team.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Glad that leaving Ronaldo on the bench didn’t backfire. Sends him a nice message that he isn’t as important to their success as he thinks.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Pross said:

Glad that leaving Ronaldo on the bench didn’t backfire. Sends him a nice message that he isn’t as important to their success as he thinks.

He won’t hear that, in his head they are all fresh because he has been carrying them for the previous games
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    tlw1 said:

Pross said:

He won’t hear that, in his head they are all fresh because he has been carrying them for the previous games
    Yep, you can’t humble a narcissist.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn

Very impressive performance by Portugal. Probably the best of the tournament so far by any team.

Didn’t even consider Portugal before this game. Apart from Argentina, the favourites all looking impressive, hard to pick a winner.
  • MattFalle
    seanoconn said:

tlw1 said:

Pross said:

Yep, you can’t humble a narcissist.
    narcissist yes, undoubtedly, but according to TalkSport someone has just lobbed him a £175 million a year (yup, one hundred and seventy five million Pounds post tax each year) contract so, overall, you can't blame him.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    seanoconn said:

Didn’t even consider Portugal before this game. Apart from Argentina, the favourites all looking impressive, hard to pick a winner.

I mentioned last week that Portugal could be dark horses, albeit speculatively rather than based on any expert insight. However, based on last night's performance without their "main man" I think they look like genuine contenders. They swept Switzerland aside. I wonder if the other Portugal players are somewhat in awe of Ronaldo and play specifically for him when he is in the team. Last night was a real team performance and brilliant to watch.

Looking at the last 8 I would say it is probably what most people would have predicted. Morocco for Spain are obviously the surprise package, and probably Germany would expect to be in there but other than that the usual teams have turned up in the final stages again. Can't remember it being this open before.

Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • rick_chasey
    Switzerland aren't all that tbf.
  • MattFalle

Switzerland aren't all that tbf.

15th in world rankings which is 5 places ahead of Iran which when Ingerrrland beat Iran made Ingerrrrland the bestest everest team ever, non?

So not thatshit, tbh. Apart from last night, when either they were or Portugal were v v good or a mixture of both or none or some of all.

• rick_chasey
    Belgium are 2nd in FIFA rankings and were utterly sh!t this tournament, so forgive me for ignoring your post.
  • MattFalle
    errr - what are you saying?

your Googling is confusing us.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Thoughts on tomorrow?
    I think Spain will win and it could be by a margin and Portugal will edge out the Swiss. I had Spain down as one of the 3 most likely at the start of the tournament

I do admire players who can wait for the keeper to move and put it in the other side but for the majority they'd do better hitting it hard.

It was weird, the Japanese players didn't seem to wait for the keeper to move it was just like they had picked a side and hoped the keeper went the other way!

Interesting on commentary that the Japanese FA have set a target of Japan winning a World Cup by 2050. As there has never been a winner or runner up outside of South American and European nations, I wonder if we will ever see one in our lifetimes?
    There's a chance given we've already had an Asian semi finalist and several African quarter finalists. It's a cup competition so you can always get an upset or a fortunate draw -
    seanoconn said:

They've gone under the radar a bit haven't they - I looked at their squad at the weekend and was a little surprised how many of them play at top club sides. The Swiss had looked ok previously so that is one impressive result.

Was very disappointed with Spain - didn't seem to have the ability to quicken the pace of their game to open up Morocco and vulnerable on the counter - they needed a Messi just to beat a player or two and slot someone in - best 0-0 I can remember watching though real tension throughout.

Great world cup so far.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    Spain are massively overrated.
  • seanoconn

You have the uncanny knack of correctly predicting a team’s shortcomings after they’ve lost 😉😂
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2022
    seanoconn said:

You have the uncanny knack of correctly predicting a team’s shortcomings after they’ve lost 😉😂
    I also predicted they lose before the match up tbf, see above.

Have always thought tikitaka was overrated. Despite the clear Dutch heritage.
  • seanoconn said:

fvck me that is a bold statement!!

I still think the Barca team who beat Man Utd in the Champions League Final is the best I have ever seen
  • MattFalle

seanoconn said:

tikitaka overrated?

#fuckme
  • I had not realised how many awful ex-Chelsea strikers there are.
  • MattFalle

I had not realised how many awful ex-Chelsea strikers there are.

oh theres loads. hundreds of them.

tbf, they are normslly quite good until they get to the Bridge: Torres, Lukaku, we're looking at you.....
  • rick_chasey

seanoconn said:

fvck me that is a bold statement!!

I still think the Barca team who beat Man Utd in the Champions League Final is the best I have ever seen
    I mean, if you have xavi, iniesta and messi, fillyaboots.

Without them it's just passing for passing sake.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    What's often missed when referencing peak Barcelona tikitaka was the sheer graft they put in to get the ball back if they lost it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

What's often missed when referencing peak Barcelona tikitaka was the sheer graft they put in to get the ball back if they lost it.

Yeah, wasn't it basically derived from the fact they often weren't big or strong enough to withstand a lot of pressure so your best defence is holding the ball for as much as you can - winning it back asap was is clearly part of that.