N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Boo, no GC winning move.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Lot of effort for the 4 seconds or whatever it is on time bonuses.
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268
    Pog from Ving in a slooooooow sprint. McNulty great ride in third, G coming in 2mins down in 4th.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730

And a stage win
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    I look forward to Hirschi dropping all and sundry on the Hautucam tomorrow.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    Adams and pidcock right out of it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    Great ride by McNulty.
    Jonas has a bungee cord attached to Pog's bike!
    Good work by G again, easily the best of the rest.
    Good recovery by Bardet too.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Bjerg and McNulty certainly saved themselves for the third week
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    Pog with the sneaky ruse
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    josame said:

Jonas needs to liven this stage up

Why’? Has a decent lead and Pog has a teammate. No sense
    Because Pog would and this is why we have ourselves another Froome rather than a Bertie
    Not sure that Contador would have done that there either...

Also think it's a bit unfair on Vingegaard given how they took the jersey in the first place (and on Froome to be fair) - riding to the race situation is smart and doing random high-risk attacks when it's not needed is not smart...
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Hmm, Yates COVID? Coughing quite a bit in that interview!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Pidcock lost 22 minutes. Ouch.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Piddles looses 22 minute.
    Cue MF.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Jtomesgreen
    Jtomesgreen Posts: 190

josame said:

Because Pog would and this is why we have ourselves another Froome rather than a Bertie

Also think it's a bit unfair on Vingegaard given how they took the jersey in the first place (and on Froome to be fair) - riding to the race situation is smart and doing random high-risk attacks when it's not needed is not smart...
    Definitely getting some rose tinted specs on here, Froome loved to attack when in the lead didn't he? Worth rewatching what went on in 2013 on Ventoux perhaps.. If anything a bit more sense from Pogacar might have put Vingegaard under more pressure the last couple of days
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141

josame said:

Definitely getting some rose tinted specs on here, Froome loved to attack when in the lead didn't he? Worth rewatching what went on in 2013 on Ventoux perhaps.. If anything a bit more sense from Pogacar might have put Vingegaard under more pressure the last couple of days
    It's a general observation (ie what are we gonna get in the years to come from JV, a Froome or a Contador) and the fact that one year was mentioned to highlight Froomes attacking abilities (rather than every year in the case of Bertie) rather makes my point :smile:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

josame said:

Froome liked to attack towards the end of MTFs when he was already in the lead I think? But attacking halfway through a stage when you are already in the lead and in a reduced group with your competitors doesn't seem smart - onus is on them to attack from far out in that situation isn't it.

• RichN95.
    edited July 2022
    josame said:

A reminder here that the only stage Contador won in the Yellow Jersey was a time trial. I can't remember him ever attacking while wearing it. Meanwhile Froome won two mountain top finishes solo. He also came second to Sagan attacking into a crosswind.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    edited July 2022
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Well that was better than expected - just needed more Pogacar attacks in the final few Kms but all in I was expecting a much more controlled stage.

I hope Bardet can get a bit of time tomorrow he seems to have been willing to give it a go.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • phreak
    Must have been a tailwind or something

• RichN95.
    edited July 2022
    Fabio Jakobsen made the time cut by 16 seconds. His teammates were on the line to be filmed by Netflix support his efforts

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    phreak said:
    You're getting tedious now.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    phreak said:
    Ullrich, Pantani and Virenque duelling away are going to be faster than McNulty doing the time trial of his life.
    Do you know much about bike racing.
  • phreak
    Pross said:

phreak said:
    You're getting tedious now.
    So we just blindly accept everything in pro cycling these days and become like tennis fans? Nothing strange to see here when a domestique rides from the dead and goes quicker than Pantani. You should get yourself a Billy can in Lourdes tomorrow.
  • RichN95.
    phreak said:

So we just blindly accept everything in pro cycling these days and become like tennis fans? Nothing strange to see here when a domestique rides from the dead and goes quicker than Pantani. You should get yourself a Billy can in Lourdes tomorrow.

The one who is accepting things blindly is you. Have you had a look to see what actually happened in 1997? Because I have.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

And a stage win
    Oh yeah, and one of those.
  • phreak
    RichN95. said:

phreak said:

The one who is accepting things blindly is you. Have you had a look to see what actually happened in 1997? Because I have.
    I remember that stage as one in which Festina used their numbers against Telekom, managing to gap Riis with only Ullrich, Virenque and Pantani able to follow. Ultimately Brochard got back on on the descent and went straight past to win as Ullrich was by then still waiting up for Riis. It was also the day before he went loco on Arcalis.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    This is like an even more boring version of Sky. Except it's classic riders doing the damage up 1st cat climbs. Imagine.

Fair play to Pog, Vin will be the least interesting or worthy winner of the Tour imo. Boring tedious stuff from Jumbo. Who are a super power version of Sky, who pale in even their best.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2022
    phreak said:

I remember that stage as one in which Festina used their numbers against Telekom, managing to gap Riis with only Ullrich, Virenque and Pantani able to follow. Ultimately Brochard got back on on the descent and went straight past to win as Ullrich was by then still waiting up for Riis. It was also the day before he went loco on Arcalis.

Ullrich rides most of the climb on the front of a group of six or seven, protecting Riis. There are no attacks. No-one looks in trouble. Two minutes from the top Virenque attacks and Riis loses 30s in two minutes. They clearly weren't riding particularly hard for most of it.

That's a the thing with these climb times. They are not like 100m races. They are all different and all have different context. Blindly ignoring that to suggest doping is either stupid or dishonest.
  • phreak
    RichN95. said:

phreak said:

Ullrich rides most of the climb on the front of a group of six or seven, protecting Riis. There are no attacks. No-one looks in trouble. Two minutes from the top Virenque attacks and Riis loses 30s in two minutes. They clearly weren't riding particularly hard for most of it.

That's a the thing with these climb times. They are not like 100m races. They are all different and all have different context. Blindly ignoring that to suggest doping is either stupid or dishonest.
    There were no attacks perhaps because of the pace Ullrich was going though. Earlier in the stage Festina had been using Brochard, Dufaux et al to set a really strong pace so they weren't hanging around by any means. I get that the climbs are seldom time trials and therefore comparing like with like, the fact that UAE pulled two domestiques out of nowhere to shred the entire peloton over 3 climbs is notable as you can't really say they were saving it for the Pyrenees or something when Pogacar has quite probably lost the race on climbs earlier on when they were nowhere to be seen. It was an incredible pair of performances today.