TDF 2022:- Stage 5: Lille Métropole – Arenberg Porte du Hainaut, 153.7kms ***Spoilers***

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    I wonder why Thomas gets so much stick for crashing but Roglic seems to crash regularly without comment? Looks like Roglic may be out early for the second time in two Tours.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

Jumbo and ineos have to take a pop at UAE here ..too good a opportunity

I can't see Ineos with Ganna, Van Baarle, Rowe and Thomas quietly following wheels
    And TP. I'm assuming his name wasn't mentioned in case it summoned the troll. Put in a decent TT, so he's clearly got some form.
    his name hasn't been mentioned anywhere by anyone because he's out of his depth.

soz.
    Finished in the group 13 seconds behind Pogacar, same time as a certain Mr. van Aert. Waaaaay out of his depth but as we know, the resident expert confirmed he won’t get past stage 8 so not long to go now.
    yup. good to see you listening to sense. chapeau!
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,881
    I remember he's done it before at least one.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

I wonder why Thomas gets so much stick for crashing but Roglic seems to crash regularly without comment? Looks like Roglic may be out early for the second time in two Tours.

Apparently Thomas came down in the same crash and had to ride the last 30k with bent rear mech.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    ddraver said:
    Daniel Oss, I think.

Got tangled up with the guy in yellow who wasn't off the road.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194
    Looked a bit too young to be Opi.
  • Pross
    Looks like Roglic's dislocated shoulder is at the Contador broken leg end of the spectrum. I guess they're not a rarity to ski jumpers.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Has just occurred that Roubaix seems to favour Old Australians in sprints...

Expect Caleb Ewan to pull off a blinder in a few years or so.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    Pross said:

Wet wipes to GCN HQ please

Poor Sean'll have a face like a plasterer's radio.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,770
    MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

I can't see Ineos with Ganna, Van Baarle, Rowe and Thomas quietly following wheels
    And TP. I'm assuming his name wasn't mentioned in case it summoned the troll. Put in a decent TT, so he's clearly got some form.
    his name hasn't been mentioned anywhere by anyone because he's out of his depth.

soz.
    Yeah, he’s only the best placed Ineos rider sat there in the top ten. Rubbish.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    Given the situation Jumbo did so well to get Vingegaard back with the favourites
  • rick_chasey
    Van Aert and Pog are just a different league to everyone else
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Given the situation Jumbo did so well to get Vingegaard back with the favourites

Thanks too WvA
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    Have EF given Bettiol a proper kicking outside the team bus yet?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    I'm assuming UAE will be stronger on mountainous terrain because at some point you'd think a rival or rivals will get up the road and everyone will look at them to chase.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross

I'm guessing him and Stuyven will be announcing a move to UAE after the Tour.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    Pross said:

Stuyven? Nowt wrong with his ride today. Only after the stage, Trek don't have a GC rider. Pogacar would have gifted it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

Stuyven? Nowt wrong with his ride today. Only after the stage, Trek don't have a GC rider. Pogacar would have gifted it
    Not the real next Merckx…
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

soz.
    Yeah, he’s only the best placed Ineos rider sat there in the top ten. Rubbish.
    erm - we haven't gone up hill yet, don't get too excited
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Pross said:

And when it became clear that they weren't going to get to the breakaway he stopped working, the gap grew and the peloton almost got back to them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    I think with Stuyven he'd already committed a fair amount of energy and by the time it became nailed on they wouldn't catch the break he may as well keep working enough to get 6th.

Bettiol is less easy to explain.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2022

I think with Stuyven he'd already committed a fair amount of energy and by the time it became nailed on they wouldn't catch the break he may as well keep working enough to get 6th.

Bettiol is less easy to explain.

Someone pointed out that Bettiol didn't reduce the gap to the break by a single second. I haven't checked myself. Sometimes people riding on the front are just getting in the way.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    I don't think he was getting in the way - he certainly looked like he was drilling it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Van Aert and Pog are just a different league to everyone else

In years to come people will argue who was better, Pog or Merckx

Kid's that good

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Daniel Oss withdraws - broken bone in his neck (!)

Will be out for a few weeks at least.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Oss and Gogl out after that crash shown above.
    Thomas caught in same one that finished Jack Haig' s tour.

Simon Clarke was one of the few ministers not to resign today, guess he was too busy on the cobbles!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    One of the best Tour stages I've ever seen. WVA saved Vingegaard's Tour. Pogacar is at a different level to everyone else in the world.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeVlaeminck

Daniel Oss withdraws - broken bone in his neck (!)

Will be out for a few weeks at least.

Any news on the spectator - the screenshots of that crash at the point of impact look even worse than the video.