Tour de France Team Selections

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    mrb123 said:

Surely a major function of a cycling team is to get exposure for the sponsors.

Cav getting the record would be a bigger story than Jakobsen winning every sprint stage.

^^^This^^^
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    edited June 2022
    ibr17xvii said:

mrb123 said:

Cav getting the record would be a bigger story than Jakobsen winning every sprint stage.

^^^This^^^
    Jakobsen winning a stage after his near death crash in the Tour of Poland a couple of years ago is a big story. Maybe not so much in the English-speaking world, but it is in a lot of Europe.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    No team is final until Friday...
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    No kwiatkowski for Ineos not recovered from a muscle tear. From his Twitter no team announcement yet
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    edited June 2022
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    It'd be hard not to pick Jakobsen - I'd like to see both go but I think one (Cav) would have to be a riding reserve - there if Jakobsen crashed or got caught out - not convinced Cav is one to surf wheels these days I think he prefers a nice clean leadout with as few risks as possible now.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    daniel_b said:

I know I am not a master tactician or a team manager, but with no out and out GC contender, why not take 2 sprinters, and try and maximise your number of stage wins?

For which team is this comment aimed at? Sorry for being a dunce.
  • rick_chasey
    Bit gutted JA is ruled out. Always good value.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    It's not the first time they've been raided, right?
  • andyp
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,534

On the subject of stage threads, I am going to have very little time when I get back.
    Was wondering if anyone fancies taking on the Danish stages?
    That would give me a chance to make a start on the French stages…..

I'll do one . But it won't be top quality ...
    Cheers midi, feeling off the hook now 👍

As long as we get the profile and favourites we're good. Danish cuisine isn't anything to write home about anyway, ryebread is nice but they basically just left the top off a sandwich.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    ibr17xvii said:

mrb123 said:

^^^This^^^
    This indeed. I really thought if JA wasn't going to make the team, taking Cav and going with 2 sprinters would be a no brainer for LeFevre, to maximise sponsorship exposure. The other thing is, at Cav's age, will he ever get another chance to break the record? Who knows what next year will bring.

A shame as he's on good form going by yesterday's showing, even though it wasn't a flat out sprint at the end. He worked hard most of the race for the win however.
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • ddraver
    Called it... 😥

Always going to be a disaster going back to BH
    - @ddraver
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    Bit of a backlash on the QS twitter feed re Cav not being selected. Hopefully LeFevre reads it and may reconsider (wishful thinking!)
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,753
    Cav is a legend of the sport. I’ve been over in France to see him win stages and I totally get most teams would have taken him to the Tour.

However if I remove all bias, I don’t see how anyone can dispute the fact that Jakobsen is the fastest sprinter this season. I also think it’s been well known for some time that Jakobsen was going to the Tour this year.

You can’t take 2 sprinters - you just dilute the strength of your team and Cav/Jakobsen are too similar to cover differing types of finishes. Given the Quickstep are going to want to go for other types of stages, they needed to select a mix of riders to make sure they can compete.

I’m probably more shocked at Alaphilippe and Senechal not making the team
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Cavendish had very little chance of making the tour team without Jakobson being injured or really off form. But I feel his performance at the giro cemented it. Only winning 1 stage in that sprinting company was poor.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    neonriver said:

No kwiatkowski for Ineos not recovered from a muscle tear. From his Twitter no team announcement yet

Always a loss
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    ddraver said:
    Really weird move that was .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    It's an interesting conversation isn't it.

On the one hand, Jakobsen probably has ticked all his prep boxes in the build up to this tour and is the more solid choice. But still, leaving out last year's 4 time stage winner and green jersey would be insane in any other circumstances.

If Jakobsen misfires Pat Lefevre will have some serious questions to answer. But then, the only person to ask them is...Pat Lefevre.
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I agree with QS not picking Cavendish. Jakobsen has 9 wins this season - he's their top sprinter. There's only five or six sprints, which doesn't merit two sprinters. If you want publicity then taking a punt on Alaphilippe or Evenepoel would do the job.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • QS appear to have got plenty of publicity by not taking Cav or Senechel. Lefevre is definitely an all news is good news guy
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Ineos:

Castroviejo, Ganna, Martinez, Pidcock, Rowe, Thomas, van Baarle, Yates
  • andyp
    The original press release referred to "multiple Tour de France stage winner" Adam Yates.

Even they get them confused.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

QS appear to have got plenty of publicity by not taking Cav or Senechel. Lefevre is definitely an all news is good news guy

If we're talking sponsors, fair play to Deceuninck who got a mention on radio 5live for the Cavendish decision.