Giro 2022 - Stage 14: Santena – Torino 147 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
Stage 14: Santena – Torino 147 km
Saturday, May 21st, 12:00 BST

Another stage that has been radically altered since the route presentation, but this time it remains one of the more eagerly anticipated, as it's a short but intense stage, which leaves little time for the riders to catch their breath. The 14th stage on the Giro is a circuit race through the hills east of Turin. The amount of climbing adds up to 3,000 metres and the finale is on a descent.

The opening kilometres from Santena to the foot of the first climb are the only flat stretch of the stage. The climbing begins with the 4 kilometres ascent at 7% up to Il Pilonetto and after 60 kilometres they enter the circuit via a modest climb. The route ascends from Rivodora to Superga, taking in two laps of a 36.4‑km circuit that includes climbs up to Superga and the Colle della Maddalena. The former is 5 km long, with gradients hovering around 10%, and topping out at 14%. The latter is much shorter; it winds its way along a narrow road across the woods, with maximum 20% gradients.

Final kms
After clearing the Colle della Maddalena, the route drops into Valsalice, with some challenging bits as it passes through urban areas. The gradients then go up again, up to Parco del Nobile. The last 4 km run entirely downhill, mostly on narrow roads. The road then opens out past the last kilometre, in urban Torino, and levels out with approx. 700 m to go. The home straight is on tarmac road.

The Climbs

What to Expect:

If last weekend's circuit was anything to go by, then there will be fireworks. This stage has the potential to be more impactful on the GC than tomorrow's mountain stage. It also offers the opportunity of a breakaway win, so expect a big one. The RCS may well need extra cameras. (which they duly won't provide)
It stands to reason that the best climbers and descenders who do not feature in the GC, will feature in this stage's finale.

Favourites 14th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** Lennard Kämna, Bauke Mollema
**** Vincenzo Nibali, Wout Poels, Koen Bouwman
*** Davide Formolo, Magnus Cort, Mauri Vansevenant
** Diego Ulissi, Mauro Schmid, Attila Valter
* Ben Tulett, David de la Cruz

Santena

Santena is an Italian municipality of 10 736 inhabitants of the metropolitan city of Turin in Piedmont. It is famous for asparagus as well as for the Cavourian Pole, with the Cavour Memorial, the tomb and the park.
Santena is a crossroads of ancient roads that connect it from south to north with Carmagnola and Chieri and from east to west with Asti and Turin. Thanks to the Cavourian Pole, it is also a crossroads of culture and history because it preserves the memories of the main creator of the Unification of Italy. In recent years it has also taking a central role in food and wine.

Gastronomy

Asparagus owes its fame to its sweet and delicate taste and low fibrousness, the result of freshness and sandy soil in which it grows. Since 2004 it has been recognized by an Association, which defines a production disciplinary to follow in order to present its product as Asparagus Santena (21 associates to 2018). 170 tonnes are produced each year.

There are over a dozen gastronomic products identified by the Town Denomination brand that guarantees the quality and safeguard the productive peculiarities of the City.
It includes: La Focaccia Dolce del Fornaio di Tetti Giro. Liquori Bicerin Originale di gianduiotto, Bicerin originale White, Bicerin originale Dark, Vermouth di Torino bianco Camillo and Vermouth di Torino rosso Camillo delle Nuove Distillerie Vincenzi srl.
The concept of the bicerin began in Piemontese households as a “Bavareisa,” a combination of coffee, chocolate, milk, and sugar syrup. The bicerin is said to differ from the Bavareisa in that it is carefully layered. First, there’s coffee (espresso), then hot chocolate (the thick artisanal variety), then cream. It is also always served in a glass (bicerin) with a spoon so that the drinker can stir the flavors together.

Torino

Turin is a city and an important business and cultural centre in northern Italy. It is the capital city of Piedmont and of the Metropolitan City of Turin, and was the first Italian capital from 1861 to 1865. The city is mainly on the western bank of the Po River, below its Susa Valley, and is surrounded by the western Alpine arch and Superga Hill.

The population of the city proper is 847,287. The city has a rich culture and history, being known for its numerous art galleries, restaurants, churches, palaces, opera houses, piazzas, parks, gardens, theatres, libraries, museums and other venues. Turin is well known for its Baroque, Rococo, Neo-classical, and Art Nouveau architecture. Turin's attractions make it one of the world's top 250 tourist destinations and the tenth most visited city in Italy in 2008. The city also hosts some of Italy's best universities, colleges, academies. Turin is also worldwide famous by icons as the gianduja, including the Holy Shroud.

Speciality food

Turin’s cuisine boasts a long and refined tradition, making Turin one of the world capitals of taste. The table never lacks breadsticks in the variants “stirato”, crumbly and with a delicate taste, and “rubatà”, full-bodied and lightly leavened, stick-shaped, an all-Turin invention.

And to end on a sweet note, Turin’s confectionery industry boasts the invention of zabaglione, egg yolks beaten with sugar and Marsala wine.

Turin has another record: aperitif. Known all over the world, Vermouth was born in Turin in 1786 by Antonio Benedetto Carpano, and was initially sold in a liquor store in Piazza Castello. For its recipe are used Moscato from Piedmont and full bodied wines from the South, with extracts and infusions of about 30 aromatic herbs. There are many types of Vermouth: red, white, rose, sweet and dry. In Turin it is a real aperitif.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Dialatron
    Dialatron Posts: 1,101
    2 years living in Moncalieri, loved the climb to the Colle. Shame they aren't coming from the castello side as there's a lovely ramp at the start and lots of hairpins.
    Old, fat and that's just the bike.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Cees Bol not starting. Same bug that did for Bardet?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    DeadCalm said:

Or just no point staying in the race now?
  • DeadCalm
    Pross said:

DeadCalm said:

Hope so.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    Yep. You are right.

Team DSM coach Matt Winston added: “Cees has been experiencing some fatigue in the last days and with a super tough third week, we decided together it was the best decision for him to not take the start line today. We’d like to thank him for all of his work here and hope he’s back at 100% soon.”
    Team My Man 2022:

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,920
    MvdP off for a 140K solo attempt.....
  • DeadCalm
    MVDP off on a solo mission. Not going to happen, but would love to see them let him dangle out there for the next hour or so.
    Team My Man 2022:

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    Pross said:

DeadCalm said:

Too harsh to say that's been the case for two weeks already?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Just back ...what's happened
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Did MvdP go from the flag ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Did MvdP go from the flag ?

Yes pretty much
  • mididoctors
    Maniac
  • blazing_saddles
    I should check my own thread. Started earlier than I expected and now I am having to play catch up.
  • mididoctors
    I am sorry but thru axle disc wheels are 5h1t... They have had years now to get wheel changes sorted out .
  • mididoctors
    Time gap/rider number I'd info this giro has been pi55 poor too
  • blazing_saddles
    This is brutal.
    Are you not entertained?
  • mididoctors

This is brutal.
    Are you not entertained?

Yes it's a fine race ...wish we had some idea where the riders are
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    Tom Dum abandons
  • mididoctors
    Tom D did ok for his team . Bit too rusty to get back to Verona
  • DeadCalm
    Dumoulin abandons.
    Team My Man 2022:

• blazing_saddles
    Dumoulin climbs off.
    Quelle surprise
  • Pross
    Sure it's not just one of those toilet stops where you never quite feel like you're done?
  • blazing_saddles
    We finally have a settled breakaway.
  • mididoctors
    Strain 17.8
  • mididoctors
    Is there GC guys suffering at the back ?
  • blazing_saddles
    Big split.
    It’s just become a GC day
  • Pross
    Bora smashing it to pieces. Lopez gone?
  • blazing_saddles
    Maglia Rosa dropped
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    Bora chasing have detonated the peloton
  • Pross
    As I've said previously with the Tour, these medium stages are often more exciting than the big showcase mountain stages. So much less predictable.