UCI MTB (XC, DH, Enduro, Marathon) season 2022

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    I suspect it was all pretty short notice, and that won't be what we get. I thought it was interesting to see Lauren Smith doing some live pieces from Les Gets; she's normally with Red Bull (though she's a freelancer).
    So keeping her for the pits/pre race, post race interviews would make sense. Rob will be a massive loss, he is THE voice of MTB. So there's no point trying to copy his style.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac
    Final round of the World Cup, and it's Val di Sole, (Ita). (XCC/DHI/XCO)

And for the final time, live and free on Red Bull TV; XCC (Short Track) this evening.

All titles are still up for grabs, so it should be pretty exciting.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Just watched the Men's DH.... fabulous riding. Great filming and coverage.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • andyrac
    And one final Rob Warner commentary piece; " he's fallen down like an old woman on a cruise ship".
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited September 2022
    Delete
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyrac
    So that wraps up the World Cup season; end of an era with Red Bull TV.

Red Bull Hardline from Dyfi is this coming weekend, and is DH on steroids. A week later is the XC Marathon Worlds, another title PFP is aiming for.
  • dabber
    andyrac said:

So that wraps up the World Cup season; end of an era with Red Bull TV.

Red Bull Hardline from Dyfi is this coming weekend, and is DH on steroids. A week later is the XC Marathon Worlds, another title PFP is aiming for.

Looking forward to "The Hardline"..... always entertaining and massively frightening.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • dabber
    Just a taster for today's HARDLINE.... practice and qualifying.... crazy stuff, awesome skills and massive cojones.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3ng3wxSys

• andyrac
    Yes, I was going to say the same. There have been some scary looking crashes, and a few absentees, including the first female entrant.

They have made changes to the course, by adding in a few more jumps.....
  • dabber
    Yes, fortunately Bernard Kerr survived the one at the end of this. Great camaraderie among the guys.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lq3fW_Q6TA

• andyrac
    Has been brought forward by an hour due to wind/rain forecast.
  • dabber
    An amazing winner

• dabber
    The winner at age 4.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aimt8dmLng

And his winning run (by 7 seconds) at age 18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ifTtzbfB0&t=174s

An amazing talent

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I'm not really into mountain biking but those videos were incredible. The landing from the one jump was onto the sort of rocky single track I'd struggle just to ride down. No idea how they do it!
  • andyrac
    An 18 year old debut winner; pretty impressive, and by 7 seconds. One of those tracks that needs learning in sections, before piecing it together for a qualifying run.

The first female entrant, Jess Blewitt was doing just that, and crashed on the 'step up' breaking her collarbone....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    The big jumps don't make me so nervous to watch. It's the rocky bits that scare me and the two jumps about half way down, the one where it looks like he lands on the berm and another that lands amongst the rocks.
  • dabber
    Pross said:

The big jumps don't make me so nervous to watch. It's the rocky bits that scare me and the two jumps about half way down, the one where it looks like he lands on the berm and another that lands amongst the rocks.

It's interesting to hear what the riders thought about it.

https://pinkbike.com/news/i-said-i-wont-come-back-when-i-win-10-rider-interviews-from-red-bull-hardline-2022.html

• andyrac
    https://assets.ctfassets.net/761l7gh5x5an/3Wwf7leFFVJl9YRY1Od0hc/45b8aedd3ff905c32341bcbfe09daad9/HADE_EntryList.pdf

https://www.haderslev2022mtb.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUwdBdVCdkl0AHR44GTSJg/videos

XC Marathon Worlds in Denmark this weekend: looking like a healthy entry with quite a few XCO racers having a go. PFP is going for the XC hat trick, having already won the XCC, XCO World titles - and she won the XCM title a few years ago.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Hardline was rad - was up at my brothers last weekend and he's a keen MTBer, made me watch a lot of the videos.

Went MTBing at Innerleithen and Glentress, he took me down one of the enduro tracks at Inners and a totally shat myself... Nearly died. And that's probably nothing on hardline.
  • andyrac
    It's called Hardline for a reason; even top Downhillers give it a miss. I saw on Pinkbike someone compared it to the Isle of Man TT, but obviously without the fatal consequences.
  • andyrac
    XCM Worlds in Haderslev, Denmark....

Women's Elite has just finished - and PFP completes the XC hat trick...to add to her XCC, XCO titles.
    Annie Last in 2nd, and Jolanda Neff 3rd.

Currently, NZ's Sam Gaze has a 27 sec lead in the Men's race.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Great result for Annie Last!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Some news regarding the World Cup:

https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/uci-breidt-wereldbeker-mtb-weekend-flink-uit/

XCC races for U23 riders, and XC Marathon becomes part of the World Cup. Are the days of the long laps in XCM over? One hopes not, as XCM is probably the purest form of XC.....Multiple laps of the XCO course won't cut it.
  • andyrac
    https://www.epic-series.com/capeepic

2023 Cape Epic stage race route unveiled.
  • ddraver
    There's a sport science thesis (MSc maybe, not pHd) in working out why everyone was so surprised when CX stars turned out to be able to win longer road racers when it is pretty common for the recent XCO world champ to win the XCM a few weeks later...
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Ha ha.....Isn't it ignorance?
    Off road riders do long road rides as part of their training, as well as the short repeated maximum efforts.

And I don't think she's finished yet; Gravel Worlds in a few weeks in Italy......and looks like she's been filming for her announcement about her new team.
  • ddraver
    The Gravel Worlds haven't done much to enhance the reputation of gravel riders.

Both won by two "normal" pros, pretty much with a top-10 of the same...
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    ddraver said:

The Gravel Worlds haven't done much to enhance the reputation of gravel riders.

Both won by two "normal" pros, pretty much with a top-10 of the same...

It hasn’t done much to enhance the UCI’s reputation to put on a good event. Given the tv managed not see the winning move in the mens event. Plus the descent to river and climb back to castle were a bit contrived, not quite the rolling gravel roads of Colorado or the like of Strada Bianci.
  • andyrac
    I think it was the UCI's version of Gravel, or Gravel-lite; which is why we saw lots of 'normal' road bikes, with file tread gravel tyres.

Next year sees the same venue, but one hopes they make a few changes to toughen the route. Put in more technical sections, and maybe some more climbs.

After winning yesterday, PFP went off and won this morning's XC race at Roc D'Azur in southern France. Bardet took part in the men's race, as last year.....
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I could take you on tracks like that on the banks of the Humber, off road but it’s not gravel.