UCI MTB (XC, DH, Enduro, Marathon) season 2022

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    ddraver said:

God do i have to know what Zeranol is now too?

It sounds like it might a steroid.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Has been used in cattle to add weight.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    edited August 2022
    I can't see any reference to the women's XC at the European games?

Forget that... it's on Saturday
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,601
    Pidcock destroying the mens race. Plenty of air on the ramp for lolz.
    Dull course though.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,601

Pidcock destroying the mens race. Plenty of air on the ramp for lolz.
    Dull course though.

Wins by about half a minute. Time gap says 10 seconds but he sat up and gloried it in.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Just a a workout ride for him.
    The course doesn't do mtbing any favours though.... the (very) average, half decent mtber is riding far more technical things than that all the time. And yes, I know TV flattens out the courses.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • andyrac
    MTB Worlds, Les Gets, France;

XC Relay, XCC, DHI, e-MTB, 4X, XCO.....

Racing starts today, with the XC Relay; doesn't look like there's any live coverage which is disappointing - and isn't good enough for the Worlds. If CX can manage it, then surely MTB can.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Just got back from Morzine, there were lots of pros around. Particularly on the transfer back yesterday, the XC relay teams were out warming up in force. The whole of Les Gets is the race village pretty much, it would have been very cool to stay this weekend (although probably would have got a lot less of our own riding in - lifts v v busy on Tuesday, and the roads were too).

Spotted quite a few DH and XC pros around town which was good fun.

Very dry out there - it rained a lot on Friday/Saturday morning, but that was on top of an extremely dry base and by Tuesday it had dried out again (we tried to go out Saturday afternoon and just spent it sliding around on the top layer of mud over a hard base). The trails were running mega fast by Tuesday (I think Monday before the queues was the best day I have ever had on an MTB in terms of pure type 1 fun...).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Riding on a modern XC course was a proper eye opener to me. Did you get a go?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    edited August 2022
    ddraver said:

Riding on a modern XC course was a proper eye opener to me. Did you get a go?

No, it was all restricted on the Tuesday - we didn't go near Les Gets on the Monday. I would guess practice runs would have been happening Monday though.

I was mostly riding down towards Lindarets and Chatel on the Monday. A couple of us attempted the Portes du Soleil enduro loop (about 80km of riding, linking all the open lifts in the PdS) on Tuesday but failed partly because of how busy it was - took about an hour just to get onto the Super Morzine gondola at 9am. And partly because my mate got a puncture that we couldn't fix for about 90 minutes :( (hire bikes...).

Was road riding on Sunday.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Bit different to LEL!
    No up-lifts on Chapel Fell...
  • bobmcstuff
    flite said:

Bit different to LEL!
    No up-lifts on Chapel Fell...

Yeah just a bit... it was a "lads" trip, originally they wanted to book it the Friday right after LEL but I vetoed that one!!! I only went because of FOMO.

Felt surprisingly OK though, couple of niggling saddle sores but fitness seems good and the legs were decent again by the end of last week. Did a lot more riding than planned - that attempt at the PdS loop ended up being 65k on heavy bikes with a lot of pedally climbing. We missed the last lift back to the gondola and had to smash it up a piste, full gas, at elevation in order to avoid doing the sh*tty farm track descent back into Morzine. I was the very last person on the gondola before close...
  • andyrac
    XCC (Short Track) later this evening; apparently, not on Red Bull TV, but GCN/Eurosport....
    Not sure what's gone on there, but it appears RBTV will only show the Elite DHI & XCO races.
    U23 XCO races are also on GCN/Eurosport on Sunday morning. An early start to their MTB coverage.
  • webboo
    The downhills are on Eurosport as well on Saturday. I guess the UCI sold the rights to the biggest bidder.
  • andyrac
    Not quite; the Elite DHI & XCO are all on Red Bull, GCN/Eurosport and BBC iPlayer/red button/ website...as last year.

The UCI Worlds are sold as a package, so whoever shows the Road Worlds, will likely have all the other Worlds....MTB, CX, Track...

So another World title for PFP, to add to her XCO, XCM, Road & CX titles; a true talent. And Alpecin-Deceuninck now has the XCC World title thanks to Sam Gaze; however, MvdP is still the most successful (10/12) XCC rider, even though he's only ridden in two in the last 2-3 years
  • webboo
    Do they no longer have to do short track for the gridding for the cross country.
  • andyrac
    Not in the Worlds - it's a completely separate race, and they can use different bikes if they want, unlike in the World Cup. Hence why quite a few didn't bother with it. Schurter, Lecomte, Pidcock.....
  • ddraver
    No one looks better in rainbow than PFP...
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Well she's got plenty of practice wearing them......She looks in super form, and will go close on Sunday. I think only Loana looks capable of stopping her....

Unless we get one of the Worlds shocks that often happen in MTB.....
  • webboo
    I see Jordan Williams GB won the junior mens downhill. No other medals but a few in the top 10 in the other races.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    How can you win the Olympics, Euro champs and two World Cup races and still only start on the fourth row (i.e. not in the top 30)? The MTB rankings can't make any sense, even by UCI standards.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyrac
    Simple; the MTB World rankings are a rolling yearly system. So, I'm not sure the Olympic points still count. Tom has only ridden in 2 World Cups (2 XCO, 2 XCC) plus the Euros in the last year.

If he wants to win the Worlds in the UK next season, he'll need a better starting position - and that means riding in more World Cups; which might be a problem for his team.

https://www.uci.org/discipline/mountain-bike/4LArSj7CKcytMrGEDtKwkb?tab=rankings

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    edited August 2022
    andyrac said:

Simple; the MTB World rankings are a rolling yearly system. So, I'm not sure the Olympic points still count. Tom has only ridden in 2 World Cups (2 XCO, 2 XCC) plus the Euros in the last year.

I get all that, but being an Olympic champion should get you a free pass to row two. The same with last year's World Champion. Punishing star names for being part timers doesn't serve the sport well IMO. Of course if this was some Swiss bloke I wouldn't notice it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyrac
    I saw someone suggest something similar on Twitter.....and I can see their point. However, I can't see them changing anything.....the regulars would be slightly pi55ed off.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Great effort from Pidcock. In hindsight he could have paced it better, slowly reeling the leaders in over 5/6 laps rather than three but still mighty impressive. I really was expecting him to ride away with once he’d caught them
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • andyrac
    Yes, that's what I expected, however when he didn't I was guessing he wasn't quite on form. He'll learn and move on.

PFP put on a demonstration - and just rode away from everybody; after 15 mins she was about a minute ahead. Lecomte had an off day, which does seem to happen more in MTB Worlds than in, CX Worlds for example. Plenty of riders were disappointed with their performance.

A good Top 10 for Annie Last, and Evie just behind after an injury plagued season (and a shoe change); her form looks like it will arrive when the season is ending.
  • ddraver
    Great rides by both GB girls in the circumstances.

Two True Champions in rainbow. Fair play.

Looks to have been a properly spectacular event by the French too. Especially with the UTMB going on just down the road too.
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    GB Worlds in Glasgow next year has a lot to live up to. And the organisers could do with putting the Road & MTB races at either end of the championships - for those that wish to do both.

Just seen Tom's instagram post, and he's come down with a bug during the week....
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,931
    Still have the Mens DH to catch up with but I hope to hell that this isn't the blueprint for GCN/ES/Discovery/Whatever's coverage.