UCI MTB (XC, DH, Enduro, Marathon) season 2022

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,168
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    The Aussie lass is a joy to watch and hear from in her interviews. Pidcock was impressive and about as eloquent as ever.....
  • andyrac
    3rd round of the XC World Cup in Nove Mesto na Morave, Czech Rep.

XCC tonight 17:00 UK on Red Bull TV.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,971
    Now that's what I call a race today. That last lap, incredible.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • andyrac
    Absolutely!! The longer Pidcock didn't attack the more I thought he wasn't in good form - and it seemed like he had an issue with the lock out on his suspension.
    When Dascalu attacked I thought he may have it, especially when N1no couldn't follow (and what a race from him).

However, he couldn't get away from Pidcock, and that sprint - it wasn't even that close in the end.

The women's race wasn't as exciting; McConnell is just in better form at the moment - and again rode away from them. Lecomte with another nice podium, and the same for Risveds.

Evie made a great start, but looks to be struggling with her back - and then got a flat.....hopefully they can sort it out.
  • JimD666
    Just finished catching up. Cracking men's race, that Nino Schurter guy looks to have a future in racing. Seems to be quite good.......
  • andyrac
    Nove Mesto does seem to produce decent racing, especially on the men's side, where the top 10 were separated by about 1m40.

Dascalu's last 4 XCO World Cup results are impressive; 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, & 2nd; one hopes he can finally nail it. I wonder if he should have gone earlier, he did look to be going well; maybe if he can win one, he'll have the confidence to back himself.

It's about 3 weeks to the next XC World Cup in Leogang, Austria; and that is one for the climbers.

However, this weekend sees the 2nd round of the DH World Cup, in Fort William.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I thought Pidcocks sprint in Friday nights short track was even more impressive than his winning one on Sunday. He appeared to be nowhere as they hit the finishing tarmac then there he was in second place.
  • andyrac
    Yes, he seemed to lose his position at the start of the lap and then miraculously appeared. Saying that, the winner, Schwarzbauer was most impressive - led most of the last lap, then outsprinted everyone.
    He actually put his numbers up on instagram after questions/requests from people.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    I dunno if it's just HD coverage but I was watching the race and thought that the riders are notably bulkier than they were too. Maybe it's XCE or just that the courses are proper gnar now, but TomP is notable by his weedy birdman physique (see also Loanna Lecomte).

Even Nino looks swoll these days...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Nino's training regime is pretty rigorous (GMBN went to visit him) , so that's no surprise. I'd guess that most riders do some weight training; Kerschbaumer is another who looks to have bulked up.

I suspect Tom can't overdo the weights as it may affect his climbing, particularly for the longer road climbs.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Kerschbaumer looks overweight he’s almost got a double chin.
  • andyrac
    Next World Cup round in Leogang, Austria, where the 2020 Worlds took place.
    4th round of the XCC/XCO, 3rd round of the DH.

A few news stories:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pauline-ferrand-prevot-will-not-be-racing-the-leogang-xc-world-cup.html

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/evie-richards-to-miss-leogang-world-cup-xc-to-focus-on-back-rehab.html

No Evie, who continues to struggle with a back issue; and no PF-P who wishes to concentrate on preparing for later in the season.
  • andyrac
    https://www.eurosport.co.uk/mountain-bike/extended-uci-and-warner-bros.-discovery-partnership-signals-exciting-new-era-for-the-uci-mountain-bi_sto8983284/story.shtml

More details on Eurosport/Discovery; one hopes their MTB World Cup coverage is better than the EWS coverage....
  • dabber
    Some good DH racing at Leogang today. Very enjoyable.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • andyrac
    Leogang always produces excellent racing in DH; a great track whether wet or dry.
  • andyrac
  • JimD666
    I like Orla but my eyes were starting to glaze over with the corporate shilling going on. Did they actually say anything of use? Like who's going to be presenting?
  • ddraver
    Jesus, it's 20 minutes long?

I was assuming it was a 20 sec promo
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    It was what was expected really; they've a tough job, as the current RBTV stuff is so good, and it's free. The only things I think they need to do are live coverage of DH qualifying, and U23 XCO races.

I understand they want to increase the number of rounds, as currently it can be anything from 6-9; which isn't a great deal of exposure for an Elite sport; hence the lack of non bike sponsors, etc

I'm guessing that we'll maybe see more racing featured on GMBN, as currently, it makes up very little of their coverage, as opposed to GCN.

The comments on Pinkbike aren't positive, especially after the first round of the EWS, which after last years coverage, seemed disjointed; previews after event had finished, a shorter highlights programme, and then the new show, which repeated a lot of earlier coverage, and had very little analysis.
  • ddraver
    The people in the clip looked concerned. Jolanda is usually pretty good at this ort of stuff but couldn't quite pull it off on that.

I don't think the EWS coverage has ever been that good has it? It hasnt existed for long enough or had enough money (as well as being about as difficult to film as is possible). However the RBTV stuff has been going for a while now and works great.

It will be interesting to see if they keep Rob, assuming he still wants to do it, whilst he is iconic for the DH, if I'm really honest, the XC commentary could do with some improvement.
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Unsurprisingly, none of the Red Bull riders were involved; and I agree, it's hard to be enthusiastic about something that is unknown.

EWS is very like rallying, with multi stages, meaning it's not the easiest sport to cover; unless you want to spend money with cameras on each stage - and I can't see that happening yet.

I get the feeling that Rob is a RB guy - and may stay with them, as they have Hardline, Rampage, Crankworks, and other MTB stuff. It would be a shame to lose him from World Cup MTB.

The nightmare is Kirby doing MTB commentary...
  • andyrac
    edited July 2022
    Next round of the UCI MTB World Cup, and another 'double header' - this time from Lenzerheide, Switzerland.

As ever, kicks off this evening with the XCC

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/events/uci-mountain-bike-world-cup-lenzerheide
  • JimD666
    Still haven't finished catching up with the last XCO. There's too much cycling on TV!!

Have massively revised my opinion of the DH stuff though. It's mental, and a lot more fun to watch than I gave it credit for initially.
  • dabber
    andyrac said:

Next round of the UCI MTB World Cup, and another 'double header' - this time from Lenzerheide, Switzerland.

As ever, kicks off this evening with the XCC

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/events/uci-mountain-bike-world-cup-lenzerheide

Thanks for the reminder andyrac

The DH is my favourite every time. Crazy but oh so skilled.

• ddraver
    No Evie for the next two WCs...

- @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Yeah, saw that on instagram; she's not having a great time of it - and before her issues she seemed to have great form.

She'll be back and ripping it up....there's a reason she wears the rainbow stripes.

Both short tracks were interesting; Jenny bossed it from about halfway and rode away. Whilst the men were more tactical, and another first time winner.

Interestingly, neither XCC World Champions have ever won a short track World Cup; no rider tends to dominate these races anymore.
    Annika Langvad ran up a sequence of wins, and in the men's some Dutch guy won 10 out of 12.

• dabber
    Just watched the Men's DH.... most enjoyable. I won't put a spoiler up.

• andyrac
    That men's XCO race was rather dramatic; won't reveal too much but had memories of the 1989 Japanese F1 Grand Prix.....
  • dabber
    andyrac said:

That men's XCO race was rather dramatic; won't reveal too much but had memories of the 1989 Japanese F1 Grand Prix.....

Yup. I wonder what happened there. No video so far.