Are the Iranians terrible at business?

124»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    MattFalle said:

100% on both counts. The FS', especially the turbo belter de pffeffel failed her massively.

she, and everyone else, should mever ever have been put in that position.

i just find John utterly bizarre - the poor lady did years in a censored and came out fighting.

He'd last 5 minutes.

i'm actually surprised that he hasn't posted that "they should have sent the SAS in"

He did suggest we could start taking hostages ourselves, so you almost got your wish.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

Just bear with me, and imagine a world where Iran can be wrong for holding her, and our government can also have been incompetent.

Gavin Williamson was defence sec for some of the time if that helps.

It also possible that she didn't come across particularly well in an interview and that after years in prison, this is understandable.

Similarly, it is easy for me to say that I would never have gone to Iran if I was iranian or if my work could in any way be confused with journalism; however, in my case, I would have simply missed an interesting holiday rather than never seeing my parents again.

Nothing is ever simple.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    MattFalle said:

100% on both counts. The FS', especially the turbo belter de pffeffel failed her massively.

i just find John utterly bizarre - the poor lady did years in a censored and came out fighting.

He'd last 5 minutes.

i'm actually surprised that he hasn't posted that "they should have sent the SAS in"

You have to remember he is the lone forum 'alternative thinker' since Nickice disappeared and Shortfall semi-retired to lurking liker status. It's exhausting having to fight for truth amongst the group think, probably far worse than 'enhanced interrogation' in an Iranian prison.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    MattFalle said:

He'd last 5 minutes.

If the UK government jumped every time a person got held unfairly in another country the FS would need to get a trampoline as their office floor to ease the burden on their knees. Have any of you ever considered that it was not in the UK's national interests to take a more friendly approach to Iran in the last 6 years? Then when considering that thought about why that would be our foreign policy and whether it was justified? We are only trying to normalise relationships with them as they might get the West off a sticky energy wicket with Russia. Make of that what you will from both a moral and ethical standpoint.

Has anyone ever considered that the real reason that she is not critical of Iran is that she wants to go back in future and is scared of blaming them for a situation that is 100% their fault in case it has consequences. If you are going to play this game don't surprised when a number of Brits think you are a chancer. We get people out of jail in foreign lands even for things they have actually done quite regularly. The difference is those states we are working with manage to tread the line between a bit mental and full mental and don't have a number of sanctions from the international community (West).

Maybe the learning from all of this is if your intended country of visit has sanctions placed against it by your claimed government then you should be revising your travel plans. This is on top of the issue others have pointed out that as far as the Iranians are concerned she is not a British citizen as they don't recognise it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    john80 said:

... the real reason that she is not critical of Iran ...

what now?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    John, you'll be telling us she's ungrateful next.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    Draft cleanup - seems to be all the rage at the mo, so I'm jumping on.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]