Cadex, I hear you say? 2nd coolest bike on here, you say?

24567

Comments

  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,462
    That crank-chainring combo looks a bit iffy.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644


    a deep rim tubular carbon wheel. There is also a matching one on the back.

    These are the same rims, spokes, hubs as Hunts and are made in the same factory as Hunts but because I'm not a clubbie they cost half of a pair of Hunts.

    Thats a Conti Sprinter 22mm tub that because I'm Italian I ride at 981PSI because its proper.

    its a proper tyre, not any of this rubbish tubeless or children's clincher.

    There is a matching one on the back.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644


    some carbon handlebars for holding on and steering
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644


    a carbon seat for sitting on.

    it weighs 80g and is, bizarrely, really comfy.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    its also got an ITM Millenium stem that I resprayed because the clamp size matches the bars, its thin to match the seat tubes, its stiff as, light as anything and I have 3 of them.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Bolting all this on consisted of doing up, ooooh, 8 or 9 bolts then using a tourque key to check the tourque.

    Clubbies and people who buy their bikes from lifestyle retailers would insist that this technical skilled work but its not. Putting Ikea furniture together is more complicated.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,462
    I'd be building a classic wheelset, Ambrosio rims-non of the deep section stuff. It's a pub bike isn't it?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,312
    Putting Ikea furniture together is fiendish. Pronouncing the product is hard enough.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,241
    MattFalle said:



    Valve length looks excessive.
    Just sayin'
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pblakeney said:

    MattFalle said:



    Valve length looks excessive.
    Just sayin'
    oh it is, agree completely. Can't actually remember why they are on there.

    think i may have taken the tubs off some 80s at some point and slung them on the 50s.

    May change them. May not. If I did its not very difficult either.

    But yes, excessive, 100% agreed.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    masjer said:

    I'd be building a classic wheelset, Ambrosio rims-non of the deep section stuff. It's a pub bike isn't it?

    i wouldn't because that would beshit.

    deep rims rock and go shoooooom. they will also save me a couple of seconds here and there getting to the pub and back.

    just because its a pub bike doesn't mean you have to sell out style of have jeff bag wheels like a clubbie.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,462
    MattFalle said:

    masjer said:

    I'd be building a classic wheelset, Ambrosio rims-non of the deep section stuff. It's a pub bike isn't it?

    i wouldn't because that would beshit.

    deep rims rock and go shoooooom. they will also save me a couple of seconds here and there getting to the pub and back.

    just because its a pub bike doesn't mean you have to sell out style of have jeff bag wheels like a clubbie.
    No class. Don't like the modern -retro mash-up
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited February 2022
    masjer said:

    MattFalle said:

    masjer said:

    I'd be building a classic wheelset, Ambrosio rims-non of the deep section stuff. It's a pub bike isn't it?

    i wouldn't because that would beshit.

    deep rims rock and go shoooooom. they will also save me a couple of seconds here and there getting to the pub and back.

    just because its a pub bike doesn't mean you have to sell out style of have jeff bag wheels like a clubbie.
    No class. Don't like the modern -retro mash-up
    don't like shitwheels like old fashioned heavy ugly box sections.

    we don't live in the 80s anymore

    we'll agree to disagree.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    just for masjer, heres a picture of the back wheel


    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Think it might just be you, me and @masjer mainly commenting on this thread... people nowadays want hidden cables, integrated toolboxes, plastic and lots of weird shaped stem spacers. And dropped seat-stays.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,462
    MattFalle said:

    masjer said:

    MattFalle said:

    masjer said:

    I'd be building a classic wheelset, Ambrosio rims-non of the deep section stuff. It's a pub bike isn't it?

    i wouldn't because that would beshit.

    deep rims rock and go shoooooom. they will also save me a couple of seconds here and there getting to the pub and back.

    just because its a pub bike doesn't mean you have to sell out style of have jeff bag wheels like a clubbie.
    No class. Don't like the modern -retro mash-up
    don't like shitwheels like old fashioned heavy ugly box sections.

    we don't live in the 80s anymore

    we'll agree to disagree.
    They don't have to be heavy.
  • I do prefer the cables that run through the inside of the shifter - but as MF says, 7800 shifting is regarded as the best.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

    I do prefer the cables that run through the inside of the shifter - but as MF says, 7800 shifting is regarded as the best.

    this entirely and 100% correct.

    its the one thing thats going to make me sad, that cable, but as there will only be one i'm hoping that its going to be quirky cool, like the different shaped headlights on the 1st gen S1000RR
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,241
    Ben6899 said:

    Think it might just be you, me and @masjer mainly commenting on this thread... people nowadays want hidden cables, integrated toolboxes, plastic and lots of weird shaped stem spacers. And dropped seat-stays.

    Add me to that list. None of my bikes have anything listed above.
    Steel, rim brakes and mechanical. I am a luddite and all the happier for it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    masjer said:

    MattFalle said:

    masjer said:

    MattFalle said:

    masjer said:

    I'd be building a classic wheelset, Ambrosio rims-non of the deep section stuff. It's a pub bike isn't it?

    i wouldn't because that would beshit.

    deep rims rock and go shoooooom. they will also save me a couple of seconds here and there getting to the pub and back.

    just because its a pub bike doesn't mean you have to sell out style of have jeff bag wheels like a clubbie.
    No class. Don't like the modern -retro mash-up
    don't like shitwheels like old fashioned heavy ugly box sections.

    we don't live in the 80s anymore

    we'll agree to disagree.
    They don't have to be heavy.
    they areshit and heavy and look rubbish and have no cool attributes whatsoever and belong in the 80s or on a clubbies jeffbag bike with mudguards.

    this is none of those things and would destroy the whole form and function if it which is why such an abomination is not going anywhere near it.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ben6899 said:

    Think it might just be you, me and @masjer mainly commenting on this thread... people nowadays want hidden cables, integrated toolboxes, plastic and lots of weird shaped stem spacers. And dropped seat-stays.

    agree but he likes things like shitwheels so we can ignore his opinion.

    and yup, agree with all your other points.

    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Hand built onto carbon rims?
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,462
    Something like this wouldn't look better with your wheels


    Nowadays, everything is about originality. Classic cars are a good example.
    It's a bit like putting wire wheels on an Aygo.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    masjer said:

    Something like this wouldn't look better with your wheels


    Nowadays, everything is about originality. Classic cars are a good example.
    It's a bit like putting wire wheels on an Aygo.

    thats nothing like the Cadex. utterly different. that'sshit. ugly, nothing special, different levers, downtubes, different brakes, different frame shape, different cranks, bifferent mechs, different frame tube shape and material, different everything.

    different era, genre, everything. rubbish example.

    all that is fit for is giving to a clubbie or chucking off a cliff.

    you've just compared a Cessna to an F15.

    wire wheels on the Aygo would look gangsta and cool. in fact, I may do it.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ben6899 said:

    Hand built onto carbon rims?

    i do have the matching Dura Ace wheels in the loft - the C35 carbon rimmed climbing jobbies that cost a billion pounds and weigh nothing.

    the rims are worn out but the hubs are perfect so maybe in due course.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    DAY ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY. ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY.

    I went and point some paint and some 2Pak lacquer so its friggin' shiny and glossy and the lustre is deeeeeeeeep and the finish so hard you can smack it with a hammer and its fine.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,462
    It sounds like you buy a retro fame but don't like retro, so dress it in modern parts.
    "who wants to be stuck in the 80s".
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I then went to my non purpose paint spraying oubliette and put it on a bike stand.

    utterly no need at all to sand the metal shaped lugs down to bare metal - take the sheen off to key it.

    remember, this stuff ain't difficult.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.