Self rescue procedures and precautions for solo winter rides?

12346»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Do they actually use space blankets in space??

Absolutely. Where do you think the name comes from?
    I wonder what you do if you have a mechanical in space, you can't just call an Uber to get you home. No wonder they had to invent space blankets, that's a long wait for help!
    of course you do - you've seen that Apollo 13 film haven't you?

Tbh, they solved it with duct tape so perhaps the OP should tape a space blanket to himself with duct tape next time he heads out.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    if he uses silver duct tape no one will realise he has a space blanket underneath so again, its a stealthy winner.
  • Your single use space blanket is all well and good but nothing like as useful as a towel as Douglas Adams once said.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • MattFalle
    Towels and the lack of have been discussed above.

Keep with the discussion dude!

Then again, two pints of beer and a packet of crisps does make every ride better in my experience....
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,068
    edited January 2022
    MattFalle said:

the waterproof properties of both the bin bag and the space blanket also mean you don't have to spend money on all this fancy gore tex clothing eithet, so that leaves more money for saddlebags and mudguards

winner winner dry and safe rider home for dinner.

Goretex isn't expensive because it's waterproof. It's expensive because it is breathable too. So you might be a winner on your safe return home for dinner garbed in your impermeable covering of choice, but you'd certainly not be dry.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    Pross said:

Fair play to you guys who snap chains - must be putting out some serious wattage.

A club mate managed to break the crank axle on the chainset of of his Peugeot, now that takes some power. The end of it went into his calf and needed quite a few stitches. Peugeot took a look and found it had metal fatigue I think so replaced his whole bike for him.
    I broke both of mine on one bike. I think they just get old and worn out. They both broke within a short period of each other.
  • MattFalle

Pross said:

Fair play to you guys who snap chains - must be putting out some serious wattage.

A club mate managed to break the crank axle on the chainset of of his Peugeot, now that takes some power. The end of it went into his calf and needed quite a few stitches. Peugeot took a look and found it had metal fatigue I think so replaced his whole bike for him.
    I broke both of mine on one bike. I think they just get old and worn out. They both broke within a short period of each other.
    you could collect old space blankets, melt them down and forge new ones to replace the broken ones.

then if you break down for any reason melt down your cranks back into foil blankets
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    I found it easier to go in ebay, but each to their own.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    MattFalle said:

Then again, two pints of beer and a packet of crisps does make every ride better in my experience....

Eat enough packets of crisps and you can stick them together with the Silver Duct Tape to make your own space blanket. Thus all you need is a roll of tape, oh, and a local pub with crisps. Sorted.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564

MattFalle said:

Eat enough packets of crisps and you can stick them together with the Silver Duct Tape to make your own space blanket. Thus all you need is a roll of tape, oh, and a local pub with crisps. Sorted.

Amazingly, this is true:https://crisppacketproject.com/
  • masjer said:

MattFalle said:

Result for the OP then as he rides in Leicestershire and that also happens to be where Walkers have their factory.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    So, which crisp packets make the best space blankets?
  • MattFalle
    masjer said:

So, which crisp packets make the best space blankets?

obvs not Worcester sauce if he's in Leics...
  • MattFalle
    masjer said:

MattFalle said:

yup - loads of these projects around the country which is basically disgusting as wtaf should anyine be homeless and living in the streets in today's (or yesterday's) society.

fuckingdisgusting but hey, people will vote for the Cuntservatives and not pay taxes.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

and as he is only 5 or so miles between pubs on his rides it means that all he has to do is trundle along for 20 mins then drink beer and eat crisps and continue ad infinitum.

sounds pretty good to MF.
  • MattFalle
    Coal.

100% deffo. Coal.

As much as you can carry.
  • MattFalle
    And kindling or fire starter block things. And matches or a lighter, gas not fluid as I'm sure Dr Doolittle would suggest.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

We now know why a certain forumite rides with a 60Kg rucksack, spares for every occaison. ;)

He could just get muncherbianchi to ride with him. I’m sure Southampton to Leicestershire and back features regularly on one his 300 mile jaunts.
  • MattFalle
    and he carries all the spares Dr Doolittle above does AND more so they'll be covered for every eventuality
  • He could borrow my butler next saturday and sunday, we're out so shan't have use for it.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2022

He could borrow my butler next saturday and sunday, we're out so shan't have use for it.

"it"? really?

#blimey
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    MattFalle said:

He could borrow my butler next saturday and sunday, we're out so shan't have use for it.

"it"? really?

#blimey
    Preferred pronoun innit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Given Dennis the op has grown up children which could make him a baby boomer. Who according to Rick are all fabulously wealthy. So surly he could afford to have a following car on all his rides.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

MattFalle said:

the waterproof properties of both the bin bag and the space blanket also mean you don't have to spend money on all this fancy gore tex clothing eithet, so that leaves more money for saddlebags and mudguards

winner winner dry and safe rider home for dinner.

Goretex isn't expensive because it's waterproof. It's expensive because it is breathable too. So you might be a winner on your safe return home for dinner garbed in your impermeable covering of choice, but you'd certainly not be dry.
    Goretex is expensive because it used to be under patent, got brand recognition, in a Hoover kind of way, and now can be copied by anyone, but only Gore can control the generally recognised name of a generic product.