Self rescue procedures and precautions for solo winter rides?

Comments

• ...a space blanket and a folder of written usage instructions!

Just to clarify, when I mentioned a space blanket, I'd assume that all Bike Radar folk would be able to read the instructions on the packet of said blanket before embarking on a ride, should they choose to pack one in their saddlebag or pocket. I must confess that I hadn't assumed there would be anyone as stupid as Falle who, based on this thread, I wouldn't trust to tie his own shoelaces without a YouTube video and a demonstration. Had I factored this in, I obviously wouldn't have suggested a space blanket, given their obvious usage complexities!

Not a personal dig - just found it an amusing point that it was a complicated piece of kit. As though a rider would be sitting there, shivering in the blanket and succumbing to the cold without thinking “you know what, this space blanket is making me feel colder as I’m soaked from the fictional thunderstorm I’ve just cycled through”.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

orraloon said:

MattFalle said:

and it may also because i'm tired, but why insurance details?

I used to carry it when I was commuting in London. Had a few close calls with supercars and thought christ, if I clip a wing-mirror whilst filtering of a supercar i'm on the hook for a lot of money.

Interesting. Never thought I would need on-road evidence of insurance. Surely claims get processed and settled, or not, post event. (I have the CyclingUK litigation cover but don't carry my membership card.)

Breast pocket = phone and credit card, always zipped up.
    Who's gonna believe the cyclist has 3rd party insurance?
    Well you either have it or you don't. A car owner can't detain you and as far as I know it's only an offence for him to use the road without insurance.
  • MattFalle said:

Why do you specifically carry the BC card?

ID and address, in case the worst happens and I'm found unconscious or ready to be daisy compost by the public or emergency services.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    edited January 2022
    MF is going to do his nut when he sees those foil lined winter jackets.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    This thread is a good advert for the Rambling Society in a couple of ways.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583

...a space blanket and a folder of written usage instructions!

Just to clarify, when I mentioned a space blanket, I'd assume that all Bike Radar folk would be able to read the instructions on the packet of said blanket before embarking on a ride, should they choose to pack one in their saddlebag or pocket. I must confess that I hadn't assumed there would be anyone as stupid as Falle who, based on this thread, I wouldn't trust to tie his own shoelaces without a YouTube video and a demonstration. Had I factored this in, I obviously wouldn't have suggested a space blanket, given their obvious usage complexities!

Not a personal dig - just found it an amusing point that it was a complicated piece of kit. As though a rider would be sitting there, shivering in the blanket and succumbing to the cold without thinking “you know what, this space blanket is making me feel colder as I’m soaked from the fictional thunderstorm I’ve just cycled through”.
    You certainly don't want to be wearing a foil sheet in a thunderstorm!
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    Pross said:

...a space blanket and a folder of written usage instructions!

You certainly don't want to be wearing a foil sheet in a thunderstorm!
    Maybe it would act as a Faraday cage and protect the wearer.
  • First.Aspect
    I think a space blanket could be used to patch a sidewall tear.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    It will also stop 'them' tracking you and protect you from 5G mind control.
  • masjer
    In the event of total brake failure, a space blanket can be used as a parachute, bringing the unfortunate rider safely to a stop.
  • First.Aspect
    A space blanket can be used to keep your modesty of you need to stop for a poo.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Pross said:

True. A lot of people think their Garmin or whatever actually has a GPS transponder in it, but really it is just a Bluetooth recorder of the data broadcast from the tracking chip in you.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • masjer
    A space blanket can be used as a rudimentary invisibility cloak, useful in a survival situation.
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

True. A lot of people think their Garmin or whatever actually has a GPS transponder in it, but really it is just a Bluetooth recorder of the data broadcast from the tracking chip in you.
    Only if you've.been vaccinated.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640

I think a space blanket could be used to patch a sidewall tear.

Not without elite training.
  • masjer
    A large space blanket can be fashioned into an emergency vaccination tent.
  • First.Aspect
    If a magic marker is available, a space blanket can be used for emergency advertising.
  • masjer
    With just a condom and a space blanket, a disco ball can be easily made and an impromptu party can be held.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562

Pross said:

Only if you've.been vaccinated.
    Ha! That’s what “they” want you to think, blaming Bill Gates now is convenient. In fact the chips have been around for a looooong time, and have been included in all the typical shots you get from childhood for measles, tetanus, and all the other stuff. Even the anaesthetic at the dentist has ‘em.

There was a trial where they were distributed as tiny toys in cereal packets that kids inevitably swallowed, but that was dropped after problems with tracking fat kids who’d swallowed dozens of the trackers.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • First.Aspect
    A space blanket can be used as a nappy.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    I’d use my space blanket to make a barbque tray, so I’d easily keep warm. My wheel would be perfect to strap some local roadkill to and spit roast until help arrives.
  • Having read the latest words of wisdom here I'll admit that I'm bl**dy glad I didn't suggest the "cheap, convenient, keep warm for a while whilst damp and wearing little kit" accessory loved by fun runners around the world, namely the humble bin bag (*). The mind boggles as to the uses to which the inventive minds of the Bike Radar collective could put such an item!

I hasten to add that whilst I travel on two wheels with a space blanket in dodgy conditions, I've never travelled with a bin bag (**). Its use road side, even in rural Leicestershire, remains purely hypothetical.

(*) For those not in the know, after warming up for an organised road run, there may be 15+ minutes in marshalling before the off, during which time one can get unpleasantly cold exposed to even a light breeze whilst mildly sweaty. Sheltering in the bin bag until the off helps keep you warm rather effectively. And should your discarded bag fall into Falle's hands (recommended technique is to use a bin provided by the event organisers or hand to nearby supporter) he wouldn't be able to make a tin foil hat out of it due to there being no foil involved.

(**) I do keep my phone in a ziplock bag in my back pocket as protection against moisture. I hope that is Falle-Compliant.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Having read the latest words of wisdom here I'll admit that I'm bl**dy glad I didn't suggest the "cheap, convenient, keep warm for a while whilst damp and wearing little kit" accessory loved by fun runners around the world, namely the humble bin bag (*). The mind boggles as to the uses to which the inventive minds of the Bike Radar collective could put such an item!

I hasten to add that whilst I travel on two wheels with a space blanket in dodgy conditions, I've never travelled with a bin bag (**). Its use road side, even in rural Leicestershire, remains purely hypothetical.

(*) For those not in the know, after warming up for an organised road run, there may be 15+ minutes in marshalling before the off, during which time one can get unpleasantly cold exposed to even a light breeze whilst mildly sweaty. Sheltering in the bin bag until the off helps keep you warm rather effectively. And should your discarded bag fall into Falle's hands (recommended technique is to use a bin provided by the event organisers or hand to nearby supporter) he wouldn't be able to make a tin foil hat out of it due to there being no foil involved.

(**) I do keep my phone in a ziplock bag in my back pocket as protection against moisture. I hope that is Falle-Compliant.

I did mention using an orange survival bag back on page 3. For those not in the know this are a posh version of a bin bag, they were supposed to trump space blankets when stuck out in the wilds.
    If you did the 3 peaks cyclocross back in the 1980’s you had to carry one along with a whistle. They were really useful for stopping your spare tub for getting wet when strapped under the saddle.
    He definitely needs to carry a WHISTLE for when his mobile phone battery dies.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    webboo said:

Having read the latest words of wisdom here I'll admit that I'm bl**dy glad I didn't suggest the "cheap, convenient, keep warm for a while whilst damp and wearing little kit" accessory loved by fun runners around the world, namely the humble bin bag (*). The mind boggles as to the uses to which the inventive minds of the Bike Radar collective could put such an item!

I did mention using an orange survival bag back on page 3. For those not in the know this are a posh version of a bin bag, they were supposed to trump space blankets when stuck out in the wilds.
    If you did the 3 peaks cyclocross back in the 1980’s you had to carry one along with a whistle. They were really useful for stopping your spare tub for getting wet when strapped under the saddle.
    He definitely needs to carry a WHISTLE for when his mobile phone battery dies.
    two whistles surely in case one breaks whilst furiously blowing your own petard...
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    The first time I did a RideLondon, I thought the chain might be one of the things that could be the difference between finishing or not, so i carried a spare.

It was packaged long and thin, and went down the seat tube. It was there for a couple of years after as I forgot to take it out.

I also use a small saddle bag, it contains two inner tubes, patches, multitool, money, glasses, presta/schraeder adaptor, tyre levers, chain links, and spare screws for cleats.

The older I get, the better I was.

• masjer
    I carry an emergency mech hanger- useful in case of a crash damaged hanger.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    That's all well and good but going back on topic, if OP broke down in the desolate Leics wilderness he could turn his space blanket into a kite and fly to safety.

#ingenuity
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    Why has no one mentioned a distress flare and life jacket? Some people use canal towpaths, you know.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    Do they actually use space blankets in space??
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    What about wind direction tacking across the road could be problematic. No, you'd be better off with E.T. and a basket on the handlebars.