Self rescue procedures and precautions for solo winter rides?

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    rjsterry said:

I'd just suggest cycling shoes that are comfortable to walk in for a couple of miles.

Because I'm old before my time, I would never have considered this. I still have clips.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692

Dunno. Just in case. Me when it got a tad chilly.

Not true, nicked a pic of total round the world nutjob Jonas Deichmann
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    This is my preferred set-up, spares in the front pannier, toolbox in the trailer.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    masjer said:

This is my preferred set-up, spares in the front pannier, toolbox in the trailer.

That's a very YOLO approach.

Food ? What if you can't fix the problem and help doesn't arrive in time ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Oh, misread the thing about a spoke. Sorry.

Think my multitool has a spoke key.

Amazing how many roadies try to get the lightest minimalist multi tool, actually.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

Satellite phone, a weeks provisions and a spare bike inside. Also a copy of my will rolled up and dropped into the seat tube in case I don't make it. Stay safe everyone.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

This is all getting a bit overkill. Especially carrying spare spokes. The idea is to get home, not complete the 1908 tour unaided.

Break a spoke = remove spoke or tie it to a other to avoid injury + open brake calipers or remove pads (assuming it's a rim braked bike), proceed directly home.

Bust a brake cable = use other brake, proceed directly home.

Bust gear cable = put bike in middle of gear range and proceed home. Or fit new one of you have it.

Anything more serious = taxi + don't go out in the first place in horrific weather when you might perish from exposure while you wait.

I suggested a spoke key because it is small and it is easy to straighten a wheel a bit if necessary. A new spoke would be a bit over the top.
    no. just no. no, no, no.

its a 50 mile loop between villages.

how many of you carry a spoke key on a normal ride? 1%?

wheel goes sooooo badly out of true it actually makes a difference for the tiny amount you have to cycle home?

Then release the brake. job jobbed.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    MattFalle said:

This is all getting a bit overkill. Especially carrying spare spokes. The idea is to get home, not complete the 1908 tour unaided.

Break a spoke = remove spoke or tie it to a other to avoid injury + open brake calipers or remove pads (assuming it's a rim braked bike), proceed directly home.

Bust gear cable = put bike in middle of gear range and proceed home. Or fit new one of you have it.

Anything more serious = taxi + don't go out in the first place in horrific weather when you might perish from exposure while you wait.

I suggested a spoke key because it is small and it is easy to straighten a wheel a bit if necessary. A new spoke would be a bit over the top.
    no. just no. no, no, no.

wheel goes sooooo badly out of true it actually makes a difference for the tiny amount you have to cycle home?

My multitool has spoke key built in. On a tight clearance frame with low spoke wheels, the wheel can jam against the frame. A spoke key might help.
  • TheBigBean
    MattFalle said:

no. just no. no, no, no.

I carry one. I don't even ride rurally or far.
  • Space blanket is a good idea. They cost peanuts, weigh nothing and take up no space. And even if they are no use to you, there is a small chance you might encounter MF (or someone else equally patronising and full of their own importance) when equipped with one and be able to suffocate him/her, thus doing the cycling world a great favour.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    I think I bought one a few years back after a night time mtb ride during 'the beast from the east'.
    Christ knows where it is now, I think I jammed it into my camelbak but no doubt it'll turn out to be a kit-kat wrapper if I ever have call to try and dig it out.
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2022

Space blanket is a good idea. They cost peanuts, weigh nothing and take up no space. And even if they are no use to you, there is a small chance you might encounter MF (or someone else equally patronising and full of their own importance) when equipped with one and be able to suffocate him/her, thus doing the cycling world a great favour.

go on then fam, how is he/you going to use it?

its as i say to people at work - if you don't kniw how to use it or you can't use it properly, don't carry it.

he's riding between Leicestershire villages on main roads.
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2022
    orraloon said:

Dunno. Just in case. Me when it got a tad chilly.

Not true, nicked a pic of total round the world nutjob Jonas Deichmann

Yeah. jyst in case.

i also have an Apache constantly following me in case Des the Nutter has a pop and I can't be bothered to kick him repeatedly in the tes-ticles.
  • MattFalle
    Just found a vid of the OP riding from Walcott to see Russ at Lutterworth cycles if he follows the advice from certain clubbies above.

https://youtu.be/0iFkKRh5kcM
  • I have this multi tool, patches, tyre levers & Co2 in a bottle cage:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Pedros-RXM-Multi-Tool_89423.htm

Has a chain tool, spoke keys and the usual allen keys as well as a flathead screwdriver and something I have no idea what it's for.

Then carry a hand pump and phone in pockets.

Worst mechanical I suffered was a freehub worked loose so I had to call for help. In that instance I called the closest bike shop, and someone came and got me and fixed it up.
  • TheBigBean
    MattFalle said:

Space blanket is a good idea. They cost peanuts, weigh nothing and take up no space. And even if they are no use to you, there is a small chance you might encounter MF (or someone else equally patronising and full of their own importance) when equipped with one and be able to suffocate him/her, thus doing the cycling world a great favour.

its as i say to people at work - if you don't kniw how to use it or you can't use it properly, don't carry it.

he's riding between Leicestershire villages on main roads.
    Here's 50 ways to use one.

https://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/blog/2019/11/50-ways-use-your-survive-outdoors-longer-emergency-blanket/
  • MattFalle
    but what if he hasn't got a signal to look it up?

and, tbh, if you have to look up how to use it when you've already been carrying it its a bit blimmin' pointless.
  • MattFalle said:

Is this a trick question? You wrap it round yourself like a blanket to keep the wind off your damp kit/body. It's not like a chain-splitter which can be challenging with cold fingers.

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Is this a trick question? You wrap it round yourself like a blanket to keep the wind off your damp kit/body. It's not like a chain-splitter which can be challenging with cold fingers.

and therein lies the crux people, therein.

the exact reason i posted the question.

please don't offer to help anyone, ever.
  • TheBigBean
    MattFalle said:

and, tbh, if you have to look up how to use it when you've already been carrying it its a bit blimmin' pointless.

A few options, when you buy one, you think "hmm, what can I do with one of these", and you use your fibre optic connection to knock yourself out with the options in advance.

Another option would be to read the instructions on the piece of survival equipment when you need to survive.

Personally, I'd just take some waterproofs, but army survival experts amuse me.

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

A few options, when you buy one, you think "hmm, what can I do with one of these", and you use your fibre optic connection to knock yourself out with the options in advance.

Another option would be to read the instructions on the piece of survival equipment when you need to survive.

Personally, I'd just take some waterproofs, but army survival experts amuse me.

the problem is, people don't read the instructions, as per pister above, but they think they are Dr Doolittle because they carry things.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,691
    Can someone call him in for his tea?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • MattFalle
    rjsterry said:

Can someone call him in for his tea?

no - he's out riding around the brutal Leics countryside.
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

please don't offer to help anyone, ever.
    Well I certainly won't offer you any. I don't think I have anything strong to deal with whatever is afflicting you. But if you have a thing against space blankets then I'm not going to stand in your way.

• MattFalle
    Nothing at all against them and yes, do use and advocate their use when used properly, but totally against people like you having access to more than a plaster, and even then under supervision.
  • Err while you've all been bickering has nobody noticed the absence of the OP?

I'm not going to go overboard but might I suggest we scramble some F1s and the coastguard?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle said:

Nothing at all against them and yes, do use and advocate their use when used properly, but totally against people like you having access to more than a plaster, and even then under supervision.

actually, hold that thought.

please don't ever touch anyone, ever, under any circumstances.

• MattFalle

Err while you've all been bickering has nobody noticed the absence of the OP?

I'm not going to go overboard but might I suggest we scramble some F1s and the coastguard?

as above, he's riding, life on the line, through the gnarly lines of Leics on the way to a pint and some 'scratchins at a country pub.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    edited January 2022

MattFalle said:

I think the point MF is making (in his uniquely robust style) is that space blankets don't have very good insulating properties and relying solely on one to keep you warm in wet and / or windy conditions isn't going to work. Their benefit is in reducing the heat your body loses rather than keeping out the cold. If you're already cold it's probably too late, if you're going to sit or lie around in the elements with no shelter and rely on the space blanket keeping you warm you'll be disappointed.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    So we need to carry an electric blanket and generator instead?
    I'm going to need a bigger camelbak.