Self rescue procedures and precautions for solo winter rides?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    masjer said:

A space blanket can be used as a rudimentary invisibility cloak, useful in a survival situation.

if you get enough space blanket carrying rural roads cyclists together you could join all their blankets together and use them to hide vast swathes of the country from prying eyes, such as the Russians or aliens.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    edited January 2022

Why has no one mentioned a distress flare and life jacket? Some people use canal towpaths, you know.

I'm not sure if you deliberately missed an EPIRB off your list.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    mrb123 said:

Do they actually use space blankets in space??

Absolutely. Where do you think the name comes from?
  • We now know why a certain forumite rides with a 60Kg rucksack, spares for every occaison. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • vincesummerskRoxcBTr
    edited January 2022
    Apart from tyre repair stuff the most important back up is surely a mobile phone with plenty of charge, especially in most of the UK where coverage is good. Here in the Borders there are still quite a few no signal areas, but an car is likely to go past eventually even on the quietest roads.

• First.Aspect
    Satellite phone. Essential, particularly in the South Downs or Richmond Park.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,696
    Fair play to you guys who snap chains - must be putting out some serious wattage.
  • To be fair - sometimes they just break.
  • Satellite phone. Essential, particularly in the South Downs or Richmond Park.

it did cross my ind that if he did 7 laps of RP he would never be more than 5 mins walk from a tea hut
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621

To be fair - sometimes they just break.

Mine always slip way before they break.
  • MattFalle

or just launch your own satellite before each time you ride whilst packing your space blanket and bin bag and checking your saddle bag and mudguards.
  • MattFalle

it did cross my ind that if he did 7 laps of RP he would never be more than 5 mins walk from a tea hut
    or, in the case of Leics, from a pub/village/house/petrol station/layby full of bacon roll vans, hookers and used condoms.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

or just launch your own satellite before each time you ride whilst packing your space blanket and bin bag and checking your saddle bag and mudguards.
    Look you shouldn't really be packing your space blanket in a saddle pack. Those lost seconds retrieving it could be critical.

I ride with mine clamped under my armpit.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407

If he was very lucky there might be another cyclist in Richmond park at the same time who he could flag down with his space blanket and send for help.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    For the beginners, I highly recommend reading Space Blankets for Dummies and 101 Greatest Things to do with a Space Blanket.
  • MattFalle said:

or, in the case of Leics, from a pub/village/house/petrol station/layby full of bacon roll vans, hookers and used condoms.
    In that case I might buy a van and charge cyclists to be driven to Lincs
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Look you shouldn't really be packing your space blanket in a saddle pack. Those lost seconds retrieving it could be critical.

surely for maximum efficiency in extreme moist and damp times you should wear your spaceblanket all the time?

saving seconds saves lives you know...

• MattFalle
    thinking about it though, you don't want to look a totalnob riding around in a spaceblanket, so if you put your bin bag on top no one will know what you have underneath.

#stealth
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

surely for maximum efficiency in extreme moist and damp times you should wear your spaceblanket all the time?

Not very aero though. Might be better to wrap yourself in foil so there's less to flap about.

• seanoconn said:

If he was very lucky there might be another cyclist in Richmond park at the same time who he could flag down with his space blanket and send for help.
    the mental picture of a lycra clad nutter waving a space blanket at passers by in Richmond Park made me lol. Sadly I fear the only people likely to stop are residents of Roehampton to relieve him of all of his posessions
  • MattFalle
    the waterproof properties of both the bin bag and the space blanket also mean you don't have to spend money on all this fancy gore tex clothing eithet, so that leaves more money for saddlebags and mudguards

winner winner dry and safe rider home for dinner.
  • First.Aspect
    Overall, lets be honest here, the only safe option is Zwift.
  • MattFalle
    mrb123 said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Not very aero though. Might be better to wrap yourself in foil so there's less to flap about.

cling film is your friend in these situations.
  • MattFalle

what about electrocution? eh, you never thought of that.

or if his bike falls off his turbo trainer and he's stuck under it.

he'll still need his foil hat to ward off the G5 and Covid and mind altering stuff from the mainstream media though, no?

so basically we are back to square 1.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616

Haven't you heard what happened to that bloke on Sex and the City? One minute he's having a spin on his Peloton, next thing he's having a massive heart attack and being outed as a sex pest.
  • MattFalle
    Blimey.

Bet he wishes he would have just stuck to X Hamster like everyone else now....
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    Correct use of space blankets....

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544

mrb123 said:

Do they actually use space blankets in space??

Absolutely. Where do you think the name comes from?
    I wonder what you do if you have a mechanical in space, you can't just call an Uber to get you home. No wonder they had to invent space blankets, that's a long wait for help!
  • Pross

Fair play to you guys who snap chains - must be putting out some serious wattage.

A club mate managed to break the crank axle on the chainset of of his Peugeot, now that takes some power. The end of it went into his calf and needed quite a few stitches. Peugeot took a look and found it had metal fatigue I think so replaced his whole bike for him.
  • Pross

Correct use of space blankets....

I watched that episode yesterday and was thinking of this thread.