English history.

124»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474

Pross said:

I didn't realise until a few weeks ago that Henry VIII was married to Catherine of aragon for over 20 years before he had his midlife crisis. She stayed living at court after he divorced her.

Have you been listening to Six The Musical? I know that from my daughter singing / playing the songs over and over. I also discovered that Jane Seymour's family home was a castle a few miles from where I live and that I pass regularly.

Wasn't it Thomas Cromwell rather than Oliver that would have been in the Wolf Hall books?
    No, took my nephew to Hampton Court Palace last weekend and actually bought a guide book.
    Did that on my only trip to your neck of the woods (went to run Hampton Court Half, my last proper race before lockdown). Very impressive building but the parakeets are annoyingly loud!
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

I didn't realise until a few weeks ago that Henry VIII was married to Catherine of aragon for over 20 years before he had his midlife crisis. She stayed living at court after he divorced her.

Have you been listening to Six The Musical? I know that from my daughter singing / playing the songs over and over. I also discovered that Jane Seymour's family home was a castle a few miles from where I live and that I pass regularly.

Wasn't it Thomas Cromwell rather than Oliver that would have been in the Wolf Hall books?
    No, took my nephew to Hampton Court Palace last weekend and actually bought a guide book.
    Did that on my only trip to your neck of the woods (went to run Hampton Court Half, my last proper race before lockdown). Very impressive building but the parakeets are annoyingly loud!
    and growing in number

if I had a tree they liked nesting in I would chop it down
  • me-109 said:

Just happened across this a day or two back. Nothing to do with me. Fills in some blank periods as mentioned above.

https://youtu.be/LWPLjg10D2A

that is very helpful
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624

Pross said:

Pross said:

and growing in number

if I had a tree they liked nesting in I would chop it down
    They're pretty well endemic now. Noisy buggers as you say, but more colourful than crows.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,733
    edited August 2021
    They are recent arrivals in the East Mids - I really like them but it's still a novelty seeing them - that may wear off.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • They are recent arrivals in the East Mids - I really like them but it's still a novelty seeing them - that may wear off.

I hope that the red kites man up and come inside the M25
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited August 2021

They are recent arrivals in the East Mids - I really like them but it's still a novelty seeing them - that may wear off.

I've seen them near Sutton and also near us in Banstead, both well within the M25. Also saw a kestrel above the town church a day or two ago.
    There's a place just outside Croydon I know where you can see kestrels, buzzard and even a peregrine falcon. I have a shot of the peregrine with the Shard visible in the background.

The white tailed eagles that have been introduced on the IoW have been seen as far up as London.

We get the parakeets in our garden too.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Parakeets (thread-within-a-thread) arrived in our garden last week. Seven of them. About 300 miles north of Hampton Court.
  • me-109 said:

Parakeets (thread-within-a-thread) arrived in our garden last week. Seven of them. About 300 miles north of Hampton Court.

Move them on before their family and friends join them.

They are from China (can survive in the frozen wasteland 300 miles north of London) so it is worth a google for the various ideas of how they got here
  • elbowloh said:

I've seen them near Sutton and also near us in Banstead, both well within the M25. Also saw a kestrel above the town church a day or two ago.
    There's a place just outside Croydon I know where you can see kestrels, buzzard and even a peregrine falcon. I have a shot of the peregrine with the Shard visible in the background.

The white tailed eagles that have been introduced on the IoW have been seen as far up as London.

Sutton is a short thermal uplift to me so that cheers me up that I could see them drifting overhead. I am up the road from you and likewise can see the London skyline.

Are you willing to name the place just outside Croydon...
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    Kestrel in Bushy Park

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh
    Peregrine with Shard

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry

elbowloh said:

Sutton is a short thermal uplift to me so that cheers me up that I could see them drifting overhead. I am up the road from you and likewise can see the London skyline.

Everywhere down here is just outside Croydon 😁.

If you want to see lots of kites, I recommend Langley Park

https://countryparks.buckscc.gov.uk/langley-park/
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

Everywhere down here is just outside Croydon 😁.

If you want to see lots of kites, I recommend Langley Park

https://countryparks.buckscc.gov.uk/langley-park/
    When I say just outside, I meant just on the actual border between Croydon and another borough, there is literally a wall separating the two there
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    I have a bit of a soft spot for Croydon.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    rjsterry said:

I'm sure you're not alone, I doubt anyone is 'excited' by Croydon
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,568
    rjsterry said:

Statements like that which go against the conventional thinking really should be accompanied by workings. Do you enjoy the Whitgift centre?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,734

rjsterry said:

Statements like that which go against the conventional thinking really should be accompanied by workings. Do you enjoy the Whitgift centre?
    I'm guessing that the soft spot was due to a hard thing. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

No, that's just a bog standard shopping centre, but there is some cracking modernist stuff. The Fairfield Halls are like a slightly smaller RFH and the NLA Tower and Corinthian House are great (although FA will disagree). For those of more traditional tastes, the Victorian Town Hall is very good, as is the old Bishop's Palace. There's also the Art Deco Airport. Most of all I like that it has not been precious about its history and seems to still have a confidence that other more traditionally pretty places lack.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No, that's just a bog standard shopping centre, but there is some cracking modernist stuff. The Fairfield Halls are like a slightly smaller RFH and the NLA Tower and Corinthian House are great (although FA will disagree). For those of more traditional tastes, the Victorian Town Hall is very good, as is the old Bishop's Palace. There's also the Art Deco Airport. Most of all I like that it has not been precious about its history and seems to still have a confidence that other more traditionally pretty places lack.
    The airport and the town hall are nice, that's for sure. Some of the Croydon suburbs are really nice places to live also.

It has a lot of nostalgia for me as its where my mum used to take us shopping (coming from Dorking, Croydon is very metropolitan), when Alders was a really good department store.

I took my driving theory test in Croydon also.

Modern day, Boxpark is good for a brew and a burger/pizza/curry/other world food with mates. Particularly when they're showing the footy.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,568
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I'm not sure a few nice buildings makes a nice town. For example, Brasilia has a lot of nice buildings (depending on taste, of course), but there is no way I would want to live there.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I'm not sure a few nice buildings makes a nice town. For example, Brasilia has a lot of nice buildings (depending on taste, of course), but there is no way I would want to live there.
    a lot of people say the same about England, tbh.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    There were peregrine falcons nesting in battersea power station years back when I started working on it - I think they were on the chimneys.
    A fake cliff was built for them on top of a tower crane mast to relocate them while the chimneys were demolished but I guess that they might have moved back to the chimneys now that they are finished.
    I'm sure they were breeding as well so there are presumably quite a few of them around now.
    elbowloh said:

Peregrine with Shard

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Well, I do live just down the road I'm 15 minutes walk from a tram stop.
    Pinnacle Monzonite