English history.

Comments

• Pross said:

I do think English history is really badly taught at schools.

I managed to go all the way through the English system and get a degree in history and not once did I ever do the English civil war or any Cromwell.

I guess by its very nature it is just a massive subject so very hard to cover in depth unless focussing on certain periods. As mentioned above I covered the Industrial Revolution in a fair bit of depth at GCSE along with the history of crime and punishment in Britain (the Rise of Communist China was the final element).
    But what happened in the 1,000 years between the Romans leaving and the Normans turning up in Hastings. Then it goes quiet for 400 years until the Henrys makes an appearance. Then 200 years disappear before Wellington/Nelson and Napoleon liven things up. Then nothing for 100 years until Archduke Ferdinand gets unlucky.

Ask 10 degree educated Brits when the American civil war was and 9 won’t get within 50 years.

And then for a laugh ask them when the Boer War was
    Pretty sure most would get within a couple of decades of the Boer war ... wouldn't they ?
    I'd only guess from the way Michael Caine is dressed.

I'd have thought the young Churchill being there would be fairly well known.
    Bizarrely he would have been 5 years old for the real thing and died the year after the film was released
    Well it turns out the only thing I knew about it (other than who it was between) is wrong!

Apparently there were 2 Boer wars and Churchill's involvement was in the second which was about 20 years after the first.

Edit - or I might have been right - seems the first Boer war was far less of a war than the first. Any historians know if Boer War generally refers to the earlier or later ?
    As if to prove my point about the British teaching of history that has come as news to me. As we lost the first one and drew the second I imagine our focus is on the latter.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270

Pross said:

I managed to go all the way through the English system and get a degree in history and not once did I ever do the English civil war or any Cromwell.

I guess by its very nature it is just a massive subject so very hard to cover in depth unless focussing on certain periods. As mentioned above I covered the Industrial Revolution in a fair bit of depth at GCSE along with the history of crime and punishment in Britain (the Rise of Communist China was the final element).
    But what happened in the 1,000 years between the Romans leaving and the Normans turning up in Hastings. Then it goes quiet for 400 years until the Henrys makes an appearance. Then 200 years disappear before Wellington/Nelson and Napoleon liven things up. Then nothing for 100 years until Archduke Ferdinand gets unlucky.

Ask 10 degree educated Brits when the American civil war was and 9 won’t get within 50 years.

Pretty sure most would get within a couple of decades of the Boer war ... wouldn't they ?

It may be, but I don't know anything about it.
    I thought you were kidding about Michael Caine, he was fighting the Zulus. In the Boer War we were fighting a bunch of Dutch farmers.
    Never seen the film either, fwiw.

It's all about the same time though, isn't it?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Goes in to my file marked 'What Blackadder meant when we said, "5000 warriors, armed to the teeth with Kiwi Fruit and Guava'
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

Pross said:

I thought you were kidding about Michael Caine, he was fighting the Zulus. In the Boer War we were fighting a bunch of Dutch farmers.

I really should get this bit of history all straightened out in my head. My grandparents' house had a variety of African souvenirs including at least one Zulu spear, and a pair of Ashanti stools. There were also a couple of (I think) Sudanese swords. All collected by my great grandfather from various tours.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    My Dad has a Maori battle axe from somewhere down the family line.
    Allegedly used in the heat of battle with the appropriate notches.
    Couple of paddles too, and some Japanese artefacts. I do wonder about the legitimacy of ownership.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    ddraver said:

Goes in to my file marked 'What Blackadder meant when we said, "5000 warriors, armed to the teeth with Kiwi Fruit and Guava'

That was Sudan I believe.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited August 2021

Pross said:

You'll be pleased to know 20% of my final degree was an exam where I ended up writing the entire essay specifically about Caine's Zulu film, deconstructing the discourse of it and framing it in the wider context about British views and understanding of colonial Africa.

The question was specifically on it!
  • Pross

Pross said:

The Anglo-Zulu war ended was 1879, the First Boer War started in 1880 and ended in 1881 and the Second Boer War was 1899-1902. To confuse things further the Boers also fought the Zulus earlier in the century. By the time of the second Boer War the uniform had changed to khaki instead of red but they still wore the pith helmet.

The Brits also created concentration camps during the Boer War, something else that I doubt gets taught on the school history syllabus where you would think they were first used 40 years later (the Brits also went for a scorched earth policy to destroy the Boer farms).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

That was Sudan I believe.
    It's a big file... 😶
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    While I do object to the current policy of the gov't dictating a certain "narrative" about British or English history, but, conversely, I also object to the style I was subject to in the 00s which was very much thematic and orientated around "learnings" from history and had no grounding in any geography.

I think, on balance, it is helpful for most people to have a broad sense of the rhythm of the past of the nation they live in, from the Romans onwards.

The challenge is covering that whilst using the history to demonstrate the kind of skills that are actually transferable beyond school.

I would be in favour of more English history and less international history (at least, compared to what I did - it may have changed, but I did not need to do WW2/the Nazis every other year from the age of 10 onwards) and also more local history. We did some of that at primary school and, speaking as someone who has absolutely no interest in local history - I always surprised how much of it has stayed with me.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I think the sum of my history knowledge can be summed up through having read the following (both fiction and non-fiction):

WW2 - a few Anthony Bevoir, quite a few Ben McIntyre, lots of Stephen E Ambose (i think i've read pretty much all of his books and through doing so, someone else's allegedly)
    Peninsular War and later Waterloo - All of the Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornell
    The Anglo-saxons - The Last Kingdom Books by Bernhard Cornwell

As such i don't know anything about WW1 or the Boer War or much about the empire.

Then outside of English History, i've read a lot of books about ancient Greece and the Romans
    Lots of books by Valerio Massimo Mandredi e.g. the Alexander Trilogy, Spartan, Heroes, The Last Legion etc
    Rubicon by Tom Holland,
    Mythos by Stephen Fry (ok not history, but it helps to understand the ancient greeks.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Pross said:

You'll be pleased to know 20% of my final degree was an exam where I ended up writing the entire essay specifically about Caine's Zulu film, deconstructing the discourse of it and framing it in the wider context about British views and understanding of colonial Africa.

The question was specifically on it!
    Men of Harlech you say?

https://youtu.be/EbBGWR4VL58
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Don't you throw, those blaaady spears, at me.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

I think the sum of my history knowledge can be summed up through having read the following (both fiction and non-fiction):

WW2 - a few Anthony Bevoir, quite a few Ben McIntyre, lots of Stephen E Ambose (i think i've read pretty much all of his books and through doing so, someone else's allegedly)

As such i don't know anything about WW1 or the Boer War or much about the empire.

Then outside of English History, i've read a lot of books about ancient Greece and the Romans
    Lots of books by Valerio Massimo Mandredi e.g. the Alexander Trilogy, Spartan, Heroes, The Last Legion etc
    Rubicon by Tom Holland,
    Mythos by Stephen Fry (ok not history, but it helps to understand the ancient greeks.

Beevor and Ambrose are top notch. I would always check to see what subjects Richard Holmes has written on.

Upon finishing D-Day (Ambrose) I triumphantly told the missus I knew everything about D-Day and to ask me any question.
    She kindly lobbed me a long hop outside the off stump "what does the "D" stand for?"

I am not sure that my spirit has ever recovered from that crushing.
  • Pross

elbowloh said:

Rubicon by Tom Holland,

Beevor and Ambrose are top notch. I would always check to see what subjects Richard Holmes has written on.

Upon finishing D-Day (Ambrose) I triumphantly told the missus I knew everything about D-Day and to ask me any question.
    She kindly lobbed me a long hop outside the off stump "what does the "D" stand for?"

D stands for Day with everything measured from that point so D-1 or D+1.
  • rjsterry

While I do object to the current policy of the gov't dictating a certain "narrative" about British or English history, but, conversely, I also object to the style I was subject to in the 00s which was very much thematic and orientated around "learnings" from history and had no grounding in any geography.

I think, on balance, it is helpful for most people to have a broad sense of the rhythm of the past of the nation they live in, from the Romans onwards.

The challenge is covering that whilst using the history to demonstrate the kind of skills that are actually transferable beyond school.

I would be in favour of more English history and less international history (at least, compared to what I did - it may have changed, but I did not need to do WW2/the Nazis every other year from the age of 10 onwards) and also more local history. We did some of that at primary school and, speaking as someone who has absolutely no interest in local history - I always surprised how much of it has stayed with me.

Am reading Marc Morris's book on the Anglo Saxons at the moment. It starts with some fairly jaw dropping statistics on the societal collapse when the Romans left. Particularly poignant in light of Afghanistan but sounds far, far worse.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Rubicon by Tom Holland,

Thanks, that had been gnawing at me for nearly 20years
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Rubicon by Tom Holland,

Imagine writing the AI or MEL for D-Day....

• rjsterry
    MattFalle said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Rubicon by Tom Holland,

Could you translate for those of us not fully up to speed on military TLAs?

I've visited one of the practice beaches in Devon (where it all went wrong).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Rubicon by Tom Holland,

Slapton with the Sherman tank monument they recovered from the sea?
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Rubicon by Tom Holland,

Slapton with the Sherman tank monument they recovered from the sea?
    Yes.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    oxoman said:

... Luckily they survived but we didn't hear for nearly a day they got out.

I thought you were talking about the eldest for a moment there.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Rubicon by Tom Holland,

Apols.

AI - admin instruction. The plan as to what will happen, requesting stores, requesting weapons, who will do what, health and safety, risk assessments, etc. Kit lists, transport requests, what additional agencies are required, etc.

MEL - main events list. Exactly what will happen where at exactly what time, basically to the minute.

I can see some poor bod scratching his head over his typewriter writing up the 456th draft......
  • rjsterry
    MattFalle said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Rubicon by Tom Holland,

Apols.

AI - admin instruction. The plan as to what will happen, requesting stores, requesting weapons, who will do what, health and safety, risk assessments, etc. Kit lists, transport requests, what additional agencies are required, etc.

MEL - main events list. Exactly what will happen where at exactly what time, basically to the minute.

I can see some poor bod scratching his head over his typewriter writing up the 456th draft......
    Surely something that big is broken down into manageable chunks the same as any other very large project. Still a vast undertaking and remarkable that it was as coordinated as it was.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Pross said:

womack said:

womack said:

morstar said:

womack said:

At what point in English history did men bumming each other become acceptable?

You’ll find it’s been happening a very long time.

We’ve simply moved to a point where we no longer pretend it doesn’t.

I find it has very little impact on my day to day existence so don’t let it bother me.

Not correct though, is it?
    Don't do it myself but it's gone on for millennia, moaning about it on a thread about history is a little odd. Is there something you want to share with the group?

Not really, I just miss Frank Wilson's forthright views and find it depressing that history has now deemed it that someone with a different point of view to the norm is nowadays airbrushed out.

Good to see you back Frank, I did wonder when you were talking about the Welsh language and Welsh history.

Did Frank ever leave?
  • rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Rubicon by Tom Holland,

Apols.

Surely something that big is broken down into manageable chunks the same as any other very large project. Still a vast undertaking and remarkable that it was as coordinated as it was.
    At a lightly defended beach the first British wave reached their objective, stooped and brewed up, they had no instructions for what to do next as in the plan they were all dead
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915

I didn't realise until a few weeks ago that Henry VIII was married to Catherine of aragon for over 20 years before he had his midlife crisis. She stayed living at court after he divorced her.

You do know she was his brother's wife, right?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    me-109 said:

I didn't realise until a few weeks ago that Henry VIII was married to Catherine of aragon for over 20 years before he had his midlife crisis. She stayed living at court after he divorced her.

You do know she was his brother's wife, right?
    Widow, but yes.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    edited August 2021
    Just happened across this a day or two back. Nothing to do with me. Fills in some blank periods as mentioned above.

https://youtu.be/LWPLjg10D2A