Olympics All Format Spoiler Thread

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    larkim said:

Another Durham here. Coxed one very early morning in GF's boat (now she's my wife) and just got shouted at constantly by the other boats. 1990-1993 at Mildert.

Oh cool - Mildert 2006-2010.

Seems to be a lot of Durham on here!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Fantastic race.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    Much as I like the Dutch women, this time I don't really have a lot of sympathy for them, it seemed they mostly wanted other teams/riders to do the work, and were perhaps too confident themselves.
    And it isn't entirely true that there was no info, one could see there were motorbikes holding up boards showing time gaps, so they were getting some info (although how correct may be another matter).
    Kiesenhofer might have been an outsider, and alone (i.e. she was the complete Austrian team), but she isn't a total unknown and has had some good results.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    davidof said:

If you can't count to three minus two you need more than radios

Yes, I'm all for how being an expert on partial differential equations can bring results.

Below, Kiesenhofer's TT bike and her blackboard.

She teaches 'vector analysis, Fourier analysis and Laplace transform analysis with a view to their use in solving multidisciplinary problems of scientific engineering'. Which means, to quote her from an Austrian TV interview, “from vibrating strings to heat conduction to electromagnetic waves, quantum physics and general relativity“.

In Japan before the race, she said she liked that it was so hot, that she was going to have a go at being active, not just tag along with the main peloton, that the course “offers good opportunities for breaks, and a final solo foray on the undulating motorsport track is also conceivable“, and that a lot depended on the Dutch team, saying “for me, it would be good if the pace on the main ascent is very fast and the Dutch make the race tough and break up the field, not just keep the tempo moderately high“. So she had made her ambition clear.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    jimmyjams said:

Much as I like the Dutch women, this time I don't really have a lot of sympathy for them, it seemed they mostly wanted other teams/riders to do the work, and were perhaps too confident themselves.

The Dutch team’s tactics were perfect for the race they thought they were in.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    edited July 2021
    The happy winner

Someone even happier with Silver

and someone who actually knew they were third

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,847
    RichN95. said:

jimmyjams said:

The Dutch team’s tactics were perfect for the race they thought they were in.
    did the lack of radios mean they didnt know the situation?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    thats crazy
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    i caught the last hour then went out
    didn't realize they didn't know?
    how could they not know. no one passed info at the piuts feeds or car?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689

That was what the post finish line camera were picking up - Dutch team telling their coach they were only given gaps to the 2nd group on the road.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

GB guaranteed a gold or silver in Taekwondo. I've finally worked the sport out - the first 2 rounds are about avoiding each other so skip them and just watch the third where all the action happens

its a 5h1t sport..basically clumsy fencing with your legs
  • mididoctors

That was what the post finish line camera were picking up - Dutch team telling their coach they were only given gaps to the 2nd group on the road.
    people saying Lizzie thought she had won too, but the interview on the line with a still sweaty and heavy breathing Lizzy seemed to suggest she knew. negative racing left the dutch to do everything what did they expect
  • rick_chasey

people saying Lizzie thought she had won too, but the interview on the line with a still sweaty and heavy breathing Lizzy seemed to suggest she knew. negative racing left the dutch to do everything what did they expect
    She said specifically AVV deserved the win
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926

What, more than Kiesenhofer?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228

Surely the lack of lead car would have been a clue their was still someone out in front
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    The women's peloton looked like a bunch of racing amateurs thinking they were god's gift to cycling. They got everything they deserved, disappointment , embarrassment, hubris.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    dabber said:

I think she thought AVV had won and was saying she was a deserving champion

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    dabber said:

Given how confused people in this thread are, I think we may be able to excuse the riders...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,004
    jimmyjams said:

davidof said:

If you can't count to three minus two you need more than radios

Yes, I'm all for how being an expert on partial differential equations can bring results.

Below, Kiesenhofer's TT bike and her blackboard.

She teaches 'vector analysis, Fourier analysis and Laplace transform analysis with a view to their use in solving multidisciplinary problems of scientific engineering'. Which means, to quote her from an Austrian TV interview, “from vibrating strings to heat conduction to electromagnetic waves, quantum physics and general relativity“.
    At my former (non-Durham) employer, the mathematicians pushed back against scrapping blackboards for decades. It’s apparently impossible to do hard maths without chalk.
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2021
    Delete
  • mididoctors
    neonriver said:

Surely the lack of lead car would have been a clue their was still someone out in front
    🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Great race. :) Only a few days in but for me, it will take something else extraordinary for Anna Kiesenhofer not to have the performance of The Games. A deserved win and everything you want in an athlete, tenacity, fortitude, smart, talent and an ability to overcome significant physical demands for an entire 4hr race.

Watching most of this race, at the end I sat on the edge of my chair willing her to keep going because the pain on her face and the laboured legs, I was half expecting her to come to a sudden stop at any time in the last 5kms. As much as i like AVV, the Dutch tactics got what they deserved and can have no complaints.

Footnote: The men's race yesterday was also very good. Carapaz looked like another rider with a plan who executed it perfectly.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I totally missed this glorious Dutch eff up by staying up way past my bedtime last night.

Sounds like a cracker.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2021

She may have deserved it but my point is Lizzie knew that she was up the road and complained that the bunch didn't help the Dutch .this was right after the finish . She did not express surprise . She said they let the break get too much time . This was within a min of crossing the line?
  • ddraver
    edited July 2021
    XCO Starts tomorrow. Finishes likely to be about 8 - 8.30 on Monday (boys) and Tuesday (girls).

Looks like the Japanese have created a properly good course with some technical (/showy) features to be dealt with. It's going to be hot and sweaty which maybe doesnt favour our Evie who seems to like the mud and rain more than the other riders (who are usually skiing in winter).

I challenge anyone to slip a fag * paper between MvdP and Pidcock.

Shame we don't have Rob Warner on the call...

Edit * - Rizla™
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232
    And this is exactly why radios need to go from races. Riders have become so accustomed to them and being told what to do when, at how many watts and for how long… they’re making rookie mistakes without them. People use the “safety reasons” justification for them; now it turns out that that is at the root of many crashes with all the DSs screaming at all the riders to be in the same place at the same to avoid danger…
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,242
    What would happen if every country only had one rider?
  • ddraver

Carapaz* and Kiesenhofer would have won even more easily...

(* yes, I know but come on, seriously!) ,
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey

Trade team alliances galore
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I broadly agree with getting rid of race radios but the organisers have to make sure the riders get proper info on the boards. It doesn't sound like that was happening today.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.