Should Ineos swallow their pride and disband?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    His unfortunate later life suggests that impulse control was never his strong point

(not meant lightly)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    That's what I mean. I'm not sure it's always that easy. Imagine you strive for something. Get a taste of greatness (Olympic gold medal, Tour win) and then fall short of all that promise for the rest of your life. This despite doping (which certainly takes its toll on conscience). Maybe all that ties into the alcoholism and the compulsive eating etc.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,598
    edited July 2021
    davidof said:

:

Here he is in 2003 - the closest he got back to the Tour winning form in his later years. His chest just looks bigger - like his ribs expanded.

I found the same as I got older - my chest literally got bigger between say 23 and 30.

Too many pies during the off season.

*long post*

I know he had weight problems, that's why I picked 2003 when he was at racing weight. He literally had a bigger chest then than he did in 1997 - he was just generally bigger.

You see it with plenty of people, including riders, as they get older.

I've noticed it with myself. I happen to have had my fat % measured throughout my 20s and though it hasn't remotely changed till I had children (go figure), and I'm not putting on particular muscle, fitted shirts that fitted me when I was 23 now can't get around my rib-cage.

I wonder sometimes if riders' bodies continue to change, some for the better, some for the worse, and some indifferently.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137

davidof said:

:

Here he is in 2003 - the closest he got back to the Tour winning form in his later years. His chest just looks bigger - like his ribs expanded.

I found the same as I got older - my chest literally got bigger between say 23 and 30.

Too many pies during the off season.

*long post*

I know he had weight problems, that's why I picked 2003 when he was at racing weight. He literally had a bigger chest then than he did in 1997 - he was just generally bigger.

You see it with plenty of people, including riders, as they get older.

I've noticed it with myself. I happen to have had my fat % measured throughout my 20s and though it hasn't remotely changed till I had children (go figure), and I'm not putting on particular muscle, fitted shirts that fitted me when I was 23 now can't get around my rib-cage.

I wonder sometimes if riders' bodies continue to change, some for the better, some for the worse, and some indifferently.
    Yeah, when I was cycling regularly in my late teen / early 20s I was 68kg (1.85m tall) no matter what I ate. Now even if I diet and exercise hard it is a struggle to get down to 80kg and if I made 75kg I would be in single digits of body fat. I haven't done anything to gain muscle mass just got bigger framed. I've grown into my shoulders whereas I always used to look like Kruijswijk.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    No! Sir Dave sorted me a sweet signed jersey (well I actually won it, plus a 530 bundle on Garmin’s Facebook page last week). Although if they did, would it then be instantly retro? :|

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

No! Sir Dave sorted me a sweet signed jersey (well I actually won it, plus a 530 bundle on Garmin’s Facebook page last week). Although if they did, would it then be instantly retro? :|

Nice. I won an HTC signed jersey back in the day
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,958

Well done!
    Nice to know of someone actually winning these things.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    edited July 2021
    Congrats. I've never won anything. Have them throw in a Pinarello!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited July 2021
    It could be possible that Ineos itself is the problem. Richie Porte was strong last year and he was able to hang on to Pogacar and Roglic all by himself. This year, he looked like a joke.

Whatever Ineos is doing to Porte, they made him much worse than he was.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    zest28 said:

It could be possible that Ineos itself is the problem. Richie Porte was strong last year and he was able to hang on to Pogacar and Roglic all by himself. This year, he looked like a joke.

Except he won the Dauphine a couple of weeks earlier
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    r0bh said:

zest28 said:

For the first time in his career.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    pblakeney said:

Well done!
    It was just a ‘tag a mate’ thing, I didn’t even give it a second thought and wondered why I got a notification saying I’d been tagged by Garmin about a week later!
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,094
    edited July 2021
    oh well, that thread didn't age well :-)

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    r0bh said:

zest28 said:

Some simple advice - if you see a post by Zest save a few seconds of your life and just skip past. Your life will be better for it.
  • Pross

pblakeney said:

Well done!
    It was just a ‘tag a mate’ thing, I didn’t even give it a second thought and wondered why I got a notification saying I’d been tagged by Garmin about a week later!
    A friend of mine (posted on here briefly) won a tour to the Scott factory and one of their bikes - either a CR1 or Addict I can't remember. One of those "say why Scott bikes are brilliant" type things.

I'm still waiting to hear I've won the Le Col Tour prize.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Does anyone know if the ITV ones are real?

Every year I try and win a Colnago (despite the horrible colour on the bike when Imlach is talking)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    You'd have to give me the Colnago first to get me to watch ITV cycling coverage.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    davidof said:

oh well, that thread didn't age well :-)

Still, it was nice impression of old Zesty while it lasted.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    I *nearly * won a TdF jersey in the official fantasy league. Bloody van Aert. Won Pro cycling manager instead, which to be fair is far more useful for me
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    ddraver said:

Does anyone know if the ITV ones are real?

Every year I try and win a Colnago (despite the horrible colour on the bike when Imlach is talking)

Presumably they must be or it would be false advertising?
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited July 2021
    r0bh said:

zest28 said:

Winning the Dauphine is meaningless when the big guys like Pogacar and Roglic were not even there.

The gap between Pogacar and Porte has become very big after he joined Ineos, so Ineos there are clearly doing something wrong on there side.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    What could be happening to the 36 year old Porte?
  • zest28 said:

r0bh said:

zest28 said:

Winning the Dauphine is meaningless when the big guys like Pogacar and Roglic were not even there.

The gap between Pogacar and Porte has become very big after he joined Ineos, so Ineos there are clearly doing something wrong on there side.
    Crashing mostly
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    Will @zest28 be starting as new thread to propose that the Dutch national team disbands after today?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    RichN95. said:

Nice. I won an HTC signed jersey back in the day
    Cool . Whole team?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    zest28 said:

r0bh said:

zest28 said:

What sort of sentence is the above. Are you still in junior school.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    Wiggins seems to think there is trouble at t'mill referencing Tao's form and Thomas feeling he's been knifed in the back in his post Olympic TT roundup.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Wiggins seems to think there is trouble at t'mill referencing Tao's form and Thomas feeling he's been knifed in the back in his post Olympic TT roundup.

He loves stirring the shit. I'm still waiting for his 'truth' over the BC/Jiffy Bag scandal
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    Would imagine it's a tough environment at Ineos but Thomas has had a long run and well paid. He has had a lot of misfortune but the game has moved on since he won the TdF