TDF 2021: Stage 20, Libourne > Saint-Emilion 30.8 km ITT **Spoilers**

124»

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Without having looked at ‘lympics, are Pog and WVA in the running?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    With WvA I think it's like someone said above - he'd have to change his body shape so he'd be taking a risk he'd lose his current strengths without knowing how successful he'd become in grand tours.

I think he could do it - but I can understand why doing a Wiggins doesn't appeal it's hard enough to get down to a decent amateur race weight let alone maintain body fat % in single figures.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited July 2021
    Mad_Malx said:

Yes. It’s not a flat course. It’s one for the Ardennes week riders. I don’t know about about the TT. But they will be competitive on any course. I’m going to miss the Road race as I’m on a stage do. The Rio one was during my parents 50 year anniversary party.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    ^Rio one I spent in a campsite bar in Italy. Was probably the best TV live sports event I have experienced (not that I’ve done many in bars).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    edited July 2021
    RichN95. said:

Mad_Malx said:

Yes. It’s not a flat course. It’s one for the Ardennes week riders. I don’t know about about the TT. But they will be competitive on any course. I’m going to miss the Road race as I’m on a stage do. The Rio one was during my parents 50 year anniversary party.
    Dan Brigham mentioned it on The Breakaway. I think he said it has around 800m of climbing on 40k. That works out pretty much at my "hilly" benchmark of 100 feet of climbing per mile.

Edit - just checked and it's 846m over 44.2km.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

4 Vikings in the top 10 today. All in different teams.

Which is the extent of the results on here.

Who won? Vingegaard?

All I can tell is that Pog didn't win and Vingegaard put in a good ride... and there were 3 other Scandis in the top ten...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    OK Van Aert, Asgreen, Vingegaard 1 2 3.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

4 Vikings in the top 10 today. All in different teams.

Which is the extent of the results on here.

Who won? Vingegaard?

All I can tell is that Pog didn't win and Vingegaard put in a good ride... and there were 3 other Scandis in the top ten...
    So my comment about WvA winning Ventoux and a TT was a bit too subtle
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,255
    If only there was some way of finding out the result that takes less time than me typing this.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Sometimes the only social media with no results is the BR Forum Spoiler threads. 😂
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,709

Sometimes the only social media with no results is the BR Forum Spoiler threads. 😂

I looked hard but there was one as I was about to post my usual moan.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

(Don't tell Road General, they'll explode!!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Pross said:

That was so dull. Not even any movement in the minor places and even the weather didn't create any jeopardy.

Agreed
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    edited July 2021
    ddraver said:

(Don't tell Road General, they'll explode!!)
    Big Macs suck. You're just paying extra for the bread in the middle. 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    Small fact some people don’t necessarily realise.

Most teams have a fairly sizeable party after stage 20.

Paris is usually a bit of a let down so the riders cut loose together the day before.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2021
    Fun story from the avondetappe - Merckx watched the rest of the TT with WvA.

Apparently at the end Merckx congratulated him but according to WvA he wasn’t particularly excited by the performance. “it takes quite a lot to impress him, which is fair enough” says WvA.. haaaa
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557

Paris is usually a bit of a let down so the riders cut loose together the day before.

When I went to see Geraint's win in Paris we came across the team bus besieged by fans a few hours after the finish. Just beyond was the EF bus outside some sort of club they seemed to have booked out for a big party so some certainly do it there.

I suppose the later start these days helps a little bit but I really can't see them partying very hard with those fast laps of Paris to come.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

Apparently at the end Merckx congratulated him but according to WvA he wasn’t particularly excited by the performance. “it takes quite a lot to impress him, which is fair enough” says WvA.. haaaa

Weren't 16 of his 34 TdF stages TT wins? WvA has got a long way to go to impress him.
  • rick_chasey
    mrfpb said:

Weren't 16 of his 34 TdF stages TT wins? WvA has got a long way to go to impress him.
    I can talk fairly well but when my 2 year old strings a 3 word sentence together I am very impressed.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!