TDF 2021: Stage 20, Libourne > Saint-Emilion 30.8 km ITT **Spoilers**

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    RichN95. said:

3rd spot seems exactly what I'd have expected for Ineos in this Tour

The pre-Tour bookmakers odds had them as third favourites behind Pogacar and a Jumbo rider
    Who was the Ineos rider?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Ben O Connor ....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

RichN95. said:

3rd spot seems exactly what I'd have expected for Ineos in this Tour

The pre-Tour bookmakers odds had them as third favourites behind Pogacar and a Jumbo rider
    Who was the Ineos rider?

I think Thomas was narrowly ahead of Carapaz
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    Wondering earlier where the current Ineos riders all sit on the infamous Brailsford/Lionel Bernie rider analysis chart.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2021
    Was half expecting pogacar to.smash this ..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Stunning from Vingegaard.
    Did van Aert just nod an acknowledgement?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • 4 Vikings in the top 10 today. All in different teams.
  • mididoctors
    Pogacar looked disappointed
  • RichN95.

Wondering earlier where the current Ineos riders all sit on the infamous Brailsford/Lionel Bernie rider analysis chart.

Well Pidcock is were EBH was
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327

4 Vikings in the top 10 today. All in different teams.

It's been noted here in Copenhagen :wink:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Unless Pog chooses to lose time on the Champs tomorrow, this Tour will be the first in 9 years where the winner finished 10 minutes ahead of the 4th placer.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    So Wout wins TT and Ventoux, comes second in a sprint stage. Maybe he fancies a win tomorrow?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    That was so dull. Not even any movement in the minor places and even the weather didn't create any jeopardy.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    I know this will be sacrilege for some but do we think WVA should actually consider turning himself into a Gc rider in the near future? Seems to have all the attributes.
  • RichN95.

Dan Bigham called Denmark the centre of the TT world on Eurosport
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Dan Bigham called Denmark the centre of the TT world on Eurosport
    B0llocks. I bet they're not up at 5am to ride 25 miles on the busiest, fastest dual-carriageway they can find. Amateurs.
  • Pross
    mrb123 said:

I know this will be sacrilege for some but do we think WVA should actually consider turning himself into a Gc rider in the near future? Seems to have all the attributes.

No. Why do all the best riders have to convert to being GC riders? Winning Classics and GT stages on all terrain plus other disciplines is more than enough and even the Best Rider Of The 21st Century (TM) can't do it all. It would become tedious too.
  • Pross

I'm not as convinced as the commentators were that he was playing safe. Possibly after the first time check when he realised he wouldn't be winning but I reckon he wanted a third stage in four days
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702

This forum has gone cut off mad

It has, but you've gone to the other extreme and failed to notice all the eliminated riders or the ones making it by seconds.
    Happens every tour. No one bothered about it before - what’s different?

At this level if you’re not making the limit you shouldn’t be in the race anyway so they’re doing you a favour.
    Because it was by no means a certainty that the Green Jersey was going to make it to Paris
    There was. You’ve spent too long listening to pundits who’s job it is to keep it entertaining
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

mrb123 said:

No. Why do all the best riders have to convert to being GC riders? Winning Classics and GT stages on all terrain plus other disciplines is more than enough and even the Best Rider Of The 21st Century (TM) can't do it all. It would become tedious too.
    He’s ruled it out for now anyway as he’d have to change his body for it and he doesn’t want to.
  • Pross

It has, but you've gone to the other extreme and failed to notice all the eliminated riders or the ones making it by seconds.

At this level if you’re not making the limit you shouldn’t be in the race anyway so they’re doing you a favour.
    Because it was by no means a certainty that the Green Jersey was going to make it to Paris
    There was. You’ve spent too long listening to pundits who’s job it is to keep it entertaining
    Disagree. No-one knew what Cav would be like over 3 weeks. He was a late call to the Tour and hadn't finished a 3 week race in years.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    mrb123 said:

Lot of effort for what? Win stages, classics, monuments and be peloton shredder deluxe and stay out of the spotlight.
  • tailwindhome
    Pross said:

Disagree. No-one knew what Cav would be like over 3 weeks. He was a late call to the Tour and hadn't finished a 3 week race in years.
    I'd suggest that DQS allocating 4 riders to stay with him suggests it wasn't a done deal
  • Pross
    Yeah, I don't think even Cav himself knew how he would get on.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616

Pross said:

I'd suggest that DQS allocating 4 riders to stay with him suggests it wasn't a done deal
    Without a horse in the GC race they may as well have made themselves useful.
  • Pross

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

He’s ruled it out for now anyway as he’d have to change his body for it and he doesn’t want to.
    It bugs me that it gets asked of every decent all-rounder. It's one thing crossing Ventoux in a break to win or hanging in as part of a mountain train. If anyone thinks he could stay with Pog or Bernal when they mount a full on attack in the mountains they're deluded.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Pross said:

I think you're drawing the wrong conclusion here. Sticking four riders with him suggests that they're very confident indeed he can get around within the time limit - otherwise they could lose over half their team in one go.

I don't think anyone really knew how he was going to hold up until the first time the cut-off was really in play (which turned out to be the toughest stage of the Tour for stragglers), but it's become increasingly clear that he's climbing better this year than he sometimes has.

DQS sticking four riders on him is mostly a case of having nothing better to do with them - if they're not competing for a stage then why not send them back to ride tempo? There seems to be a good spirit amongst them doing it, they're at less risk of being taken out by a crash in the peloton on a descent, and they're (somewhat) rested up ahead of a possible struggle the next day. I'm surprised more people didn't drop back to sit on, to be honest - DQS were very good at working to the time cut without any fuss or drama.
  • RichN95.
    Let's not forget that the time cut got rid of Demare and Coquard (and would have done for Bouhanni but he fell on his sword)
  • rick_chasey
    mrfpb said:

So Wout wins TT and Ventoux, comes second in a sprint stage. Maybe he fancies a win tomorrow?

I said it after Ventoux he was after that particular hatrick - on the Ventoux thread!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Pross said:

I'm not as convinced as the commentators were that he was playing safe. Possibly after the first time check when he realised he wouldn't be winning but I reckon he wanted a third stage in four days
    Agree. With 5 min to play with, why wouldn’t he empty himself? Unless he hit some road furniture badly, he wasn’t going to lose the GC.