Macroeconomics, the economy, inflation etc. *likely to be very dull*

Comments

• Getting a bit annoyed at the "we tried MMT last year and it failed" argument, as, if you were a fully signed up member to MMT, you'd be whacking up taxes to eye watering levels or doing massive austerity to combat the eye-watering inflation, as that is the single indicator you use to decide if you're spending too much as a state or not.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth
    Sure, but can we not pretend it was MMT when it plainly wasn't.
    As I think it is total BS I find it hard to read about it but for anybody who is interested this is a very accesible article that I think is reasonably balanced
    https://www.investopedia.com/modern-monetary-theory-mmt-4588060

Anyway surely the central plank of MMT is that if you have a sovereign currency the Govt can't run out of money. In my world this is exactly what happened to Truss
    A sovereign issuer need never default as it can simply print what is needed to honour its debts.

Likewise, a sovereign issuer can never run out of money in the form of physical money or credits in the central bank's computer system. However, and this never gets as much publicity as I think it should, the sovereign issuer cannot control the value of the money it has in its own currency.

If the markets give up lending to you because they think you're a basket case then you can print money, but only until it is essentially worthless. I think Argentina did this, then started borrowing in USD, ultimately defaulted on USD debt and had a warship it had pledged as collateral seized as a result as well as the usual IMF treatment.

I have no real idea about MMT, except that it sounds too good to be true, and per my Father-in-Law, this means it is too good to be true. (And he was a very successful, if slightly prudent investor.)

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited April 2023

Getting a bit annoyed at the "we tried MMT last year and it failed" argument, as, if you were a fully signed up member to MMT, you'd be whacking up taxes to eye watering levels or doing massive austerity to combat the eye-watering inflation, as that is the single indicator you use to decide if you're spending too much as a state or not.

As I think it is total BS I find it hard to read about it but for anybody who is interested this is a very accesible article that I think is reasonably balanced

Anyway surely the central plank of MMT is that if you have a sovereign currency the Govt can't run out of money. In my world this is exactly what happened to Truss
    A sovereign issuer need never default as it can simply print what is needed to honour its debts.

Likewise, a sovereign issuer can never run out of money in the form of physical money or credits in the central bank's computer system. However, and this never gets as much publicity as I think it should, the sovereign issuer cannot control the value of the money it has in its own currency.

If the markets give up lending to you because they think you're a basket case then you can print money, but only until it is essentially worthless. I think Argentina did this, then started borrowing in USD, ultimately defaulted on USD debt and had a warship it had pledged as collateral seized as a result as well as the usual IMF treatment.

I have no real idea about MMT, except that it sounds too good to be true, and per my Father-in-Law, this means it is too good to be true. (And he was a very successful, if slightly prudent investor.)

The premise is there is no such thing as 'too much debt', but in return, you use fiscal policy very aggressively in response to inflation.

So when inflation is low, you spend and borrow a lot, and when inflation is high, you cut back on spending and borrowing a lot.

My argument is that describing Truss as an MMT advocate misses the critical point that she was choosing to spend a lot heading into an inflationary period, which is the opposite of the MMT mechanism.

Whether MMT is great or not is sort of irrelevant to my point which is detractors of MMT are incorrectly saying the UK experimented with it.

Ultimately I am an advocate for aggressive counter-cyclical spending, but SC doesn't believe that counter-cyclical spending is politically possible, so you end up doing the spending bit when times are bad, but you never get around to the not spending in good times bit, so you should just cut back wherever you can, politically.

(like in Germany until covid, FWIW).
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Getting a bit annoyed at the "we tried MMT last year and it failed" argument, as, if you were a fully signed up member to MMT, you'd be whacking up taxes to eye watering levels or doing massive austerity to combat the eye-watering inflation, as that is the single indicator you use to decide if you're spending too much as a state or not.

The premise is there is no such thing as 'too much debt', but in return, you use fiscal policy very aggressively in response to inflation.

So when inflation is low, you spend and borrow a lot, and when inflation is high, you cut back on spending and borrowing a lot.

My argument is that describing Truss as an MMT advocate misses the critical point that she was choosing to spend a lot heading into an inflationary period, which is the opposite of the MMT mechanism.

Whether MMT is great or not is sort of irrelevant to my point which is detractors of MMT are incorrectly saying the UK experimented with it.

Ultimately I am an advocate for aggressive counter-cyclical spending, but SC doesn't believe that counter-cyclical spending is politically possible, so you end up doing the spending bit when times are bad, but you never get around to the not spending in good times bit, so you should just cut back wherever you can, politically.

So back to Truss, what would that have looked like?

a lot to me would be raise taxes immediately (ie not fiscal drag) by $50bn and borrowing by £50bn
  • rick_chasey
    Well whatever her MMT economists felt was needed to hold off inflation over 2%.

Given everyone was predicting inflation even before she took charge, she would have done what Hunt eventually did, which was to announce a load of spending cuts and tax hikes, but probably 5x the size.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023
    FWIW I think part of the US economy's success is that, over the past few crisis, they've had the balls to introduce monster stimulus because the democrats have happened to be in charge during the downturns (Obama's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and Biden's Stimmy) but inbetween they've had Republicans who are desperate to cut federal spending on everything (apart from guns and bombs), so they have, by design or chance, run a genuinely counter-cyclical fiscal policy over the last 2 decades.
  • FWIW I think part of the US economy's success is that, over the past few crisis, they've had the balls to introduce monster stimulus because the democrats have happened to be in charge during the downturns (Obama's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and Biden's Stimmy) but inbetween they've had Republicans who are desperate to cut federal spending on everything (apart from guns and bombs), so they have, by design or chance, run a genuinely counter-cyclical fiscal policy over the last 2 decades.

US success re economy not unrelated to the not having to worry as much about finding overseas investors as other sovereign issuers. USTs will be the last financial asset standing come the Apocalypse.
  • rick_chasey
    Yes there's loads of other stuff that makes it so good, but I think they are *also* a good example of counter-cyclical spending.
  • Getting a bit annoyed at the "we tried MMT last year and it failed" argument, as, if you were a fully signed up member to MMT, you'd be whacking up taxes to eye watering levels or doing massive austerity to combat the eye-watering inflation, as that is the single indicator you use to decide if you're spending too much as a state or not.

My understanding, from reverse engineering the Euro's Stability and Growth Pact is that debt will remain stable as a % of GDP (60% is the target) if the average deficit throughout the economic cycle is equal to nominal economic growth i.e. real GDP growth plus inflation.

So an average deficit of 4% pa is the target, assuming average inflation of 2% and average real GDP growth of 2%. IIRC the pact states 3%, presumably to leave a little leeway. (Aim for 3%, hit 3.5% and everyone's happy.)

The obvious corollary of this is that as deficits can rise to high single digit % in sharp downturns in even sensibly run countries, the deficit in the rest of the timeframe of an economic cycle has to be low single digit %, which per SC's observation, is politically challenging these days, as this would require cancellation of capital projects and / or public sector pay freezes.

There is the safety valve that countries can survive with Debt / GDP ratios much higher than 60% for sustained periods of time, so long as the incumbent leadership tells a coherent story about implementing fiscal restraint over a meaningful timeframe to reduce the Debt / GDP ratios (or the factors driving higher borrowing are clearly extraneous such as the Covid era). Which of course means even lower deficits at some point in the future.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968

So an average deficit of 4% pa is the target, assuming average inflation of 2% and average real GDP growth of 2%. IIRC the pact states 3%, presumably to leave a little leeway. (Aim for 3%, hit 3.5% and everyone's happy.)

What could possibly go wrong?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Quite. Presumably why the target Debt / GDP is a very conservative 60%. Per my comment about a safety value above, this gives leeway to cope with the fallout when "sh*t happens".

But even allowing for the recent sharp rise in inflation, German inflation over the last 25 years has averaged 1.8%, so as the Bundesbank shaped the Pact, a 2% annual inflation assumption is no great surprise.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,968

pblakeney said:

Quite. Presumably why the target Debt / GDP is a very conservative 60%. Per my comment about a safety value above, this gives leeway to cope with the fallout when "sh*t happens".
    Well as our debt/GDP ratio was 94.9% and inflation 10.1% at last recordings you could say that sh*t has already happened.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Well as our debt/GDP ratio was 94.9% and inflation 10.1% at last recordings you could say that sh*t has already happened.
    Pre-Covid / Brexit, the Debt/GDP ratio was circa 80% and had been falling for a couple of years, so definitely in the "not bad" category.

Covid is definitely the type of sh*t a prudent country would be resilient to in financial terms.

Brexit not so, as a prudent country would never have voted for it!
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

now up to a turbo charged 99.6%

maybe we could all clap on our doorsteps when it breaches the 100%, though it is important that we see 100% as a signpost and not a destination.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    Interesting how closely the median follows the top 10%. I know you’ll get grumpy at someone questioning the graph but what is the ‘y’ axis actually showing? I’m assuming higher is better but I can’t workout what it is. It mentions hourly wages but obviously isn’t an actual hourly wage in dollars.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509
    It's interesting that both AOC and Bernie Sanders are already backing Biden for 2024. Maybe they've twigged that he's actually managing to deliver a good chunk of their progressive agenda by being able to play the weird US system pretty well.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023
    Pross said:

Interesting how closely the median follows the top 10%. I know you’ll get grumpy at someone questioning the graph but what is the ‘y’ axis actually showing? I’m assuming higher is better but I can’t workout what it is. It mentions hourly wages but obviously isn’t an actual hourly wage in dollars.
    Indexed where 100 is Jan 2020 real wages.

Link to the data in the follow up tweet.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509
    Dan Neidle, who helped bring down Nadhim Zahawi, is getting tired of pointing out that reducing VAT to 0% on specific items doesn't help the people it's intended to, as the producers just raise their prices and take 80% of the reduction in increased profit. OTehr examples include tampons and e-books. He has the receipts.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

Dan Neidle, who helped bring down Nadhim Zahawi, is getting tired of pointing out that reducing VAT to 0% on specific items doesn't help the people it's intended to, as the producers just raise their prices and take 80% of the reduction in increased profit. OTehr examples include tampons and e-books. He has the receipts.

There are pretty economic supply and demand graphs for this. The study seems to ignore Covid ie demand for books increased.
  • rick_chasey
    American grad discovers quite how big the gap is over the pond:

• surrey_commuter
    @rick_chasey

I have been submitting unsolicited articles to The Economist for decades and finally they print one and give me a Leader!!!!!
  • rick_chasey

@rick_chasey

I have been submitting unsolicited articles to The Economist for decades and finally they print one and give me a Leader!!!!!

Hahaha, yes I saw that. Well done.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

@rick_chasey

If Turkey sacks its strongman, democrats everywhere should take heart?
  • rick_chasey

@rick_chasey

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2023/05/04/governments-are-living-in-a-fiscal-fantasyland
  • surrey_commuter

@rick_chasey

I lack moral fibre and would not risk being Kashoggi'ed
  • surrey_commuter
    Monthly UK debt update
    Debt went up by £25bn in April which is the 2nd highest on record (2020 higher)
    Debt servicing cost was £10bn which was a turbo charged record for April and an impressive £3bn higher than last year.

The really exciting thing about these figures is that they are using RPI from Feb so we know the numbers are going to be shite for the next few months.

My fear is that the slack created by falling inflation will be filled by refinancing at 4% debt that is expiring from 2013 which would have been at a fraction of the cost.
  • surrey_commuter
    I have not been following this argument so would you mind telling me the explanation for why there has not been an explosion in corporate profits?