Macroeconomics, the economy, inflation etc. *likely to be very dull*

Comments

• I disagree that the economy is up the swanny. The problem is that our self inflicted wounds have reduced the markets perceptions of our future potential.

I see your concerns as a symptom of the problem. You see them as a cause.

It's just a cause or effect argument.
    kind of.

The market takes a long term view as that is the lifetime of the debt, or investment. The UK's reputation for good decision making has taken a hammering in the last 6 but the economy is not currently up the swanny.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

For those who supported the theory that borrowing was not an issue because we had a sovereign currency can they explain why it has seemingly imploded so abruptly?

Nobody said it 'wasn't an issue'. The argument was over what the constraints on borrowing are. Pretty sure lender confidence was discussed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

For those who supported the theory that borrowing was not an issue because we had a sovereign currency can they explain why it has seemingly imploded so abruptly?

Nobody said it 'wasn't an issue'. The argument was over what the constraints on borrowing are. Pretty sure lender confidence was discussed.
    And inflation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Seeing the real time price rises of the same lunch in places near the office is quite eye opening.
  • rjsterry said:

And inflation.
    the bigger the better was the inflation mantra
  • rjsterry said:

And inflation.
    Nope.
  • Seeing the real time price rises of the same lunch in places near the office is quite eye opening.

Fuel also coming down - I live near a petrol station and it's gone down 1 or 2 pence every 3-4 days for the last few weeks. Now at 179.9
  • rjsterry said:

And inflation.
    Nope.
    Rick was definitely in favour of inflating away the problem
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

And inflation.
    Nope.
    Rick was definitely in favour of inflating away the problem
    Demand side inflation was something I thought was worth tolerating if it was boosting demand, investment, etc.

Supply side inflation/stagflation is clearly not ever good
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

rjsterry said:

And inflation.
    Indeed. My comments on this were the reason this thread was started.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

And inflation.
    Fair play for predicting Chinese Zero Covid strategy and the biggest war in Europe for 80 years ;)
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

And inflation.
    Fair play for predicting Chinese Zero Covid strategy and the biggest war in Europe for 80 years ;)
    Seeing the wood through the trees you mean.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

And inflation.
    If you spot the wrong cause of inflation and inflation happens, that's not good analysis.

It is clear that supply side problems in China and the war in Ukraine are by far the main drivers of inflation.

• rjsterry said:

And inflation.
    If you spot the wrong cause of inflation and inflation happens, that's not good analysis.

It is clear that supply side problems in China and the war in Ukraine are by far the main drivers of inflation.

I’ve been boringly banging on about Chinese supply side problems and carriage increases for a few years. It hasn’t happened over night. If I could see what was coming then the BoE and government definitely should have.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited September 2022
    Doesn't the first post on this thread have a prediction of inflation not going above 4.5%?

Edited - those are linked graphs, so that's the current prediction for one year onwards.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

And inflation.

I’ve been boringly banging on about Chinese supply side problems and carriage increases for a few years. It hasn’t happened over night. If I could see what was coming then the BoE and government definitely should have.

Sure but surely the Zero Covid process has compounded the problem? That's what I read anyway.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

rjsterry said:

And inflation.

Sure but surely the Zero Covid process has compounded the problem? That's what I read anyway.
    There was also a drought in summer which impacted on hydro power and lowered river levels stopping shipping. That's what I read anyway.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

And inflation.

You can admit to getting it wrong.
  • rjsterry said:

And inflation.

Of course it hasn’t helped but I would argue (possibly incorrectly) that it is negligible. The damage had already been done.

We’ve found cost prices in USD stay roughly the same. Carriage charges killed things initially.

All of this has been compounded by the run on sterling. It has made products 20% more expensive. Tied in with carriage charges that were 4-5 times more expensive which now have the added bonus of the currency burden on top.

The run on the pound has come due to bad economic decisions and the ridiculous amount of QE that occurred. I make SC bang on with his predictions from the last 18 months.

• rick_chasey
    Saying an F1 car won’t finish because the engine blows up and the F1 car doesn’t finish because the driver crashed it into a wall, that is not a good prediction
  • TheBigBean

Saying an F1 car won’t finish because the engine blows up and the F1 car doesn’t finish because the driver crashed it into a wall, that is not a good prediction

I said a historically unprecedented increase in money supply combined with pent-up demand and recovery issues would lead to inflation. I stand by that. Ukraine has added to this, but it doesn't make my initial assertion wrong.
  • rick_chasey

I said a historically unprecedented increase in money supply combined with pent-up demand and recovery issues would lead to inflation. I stand by that. Ukraine has added to this, but it doesn't make my initial assertion wrong.
    I think it does, unless you can prove the money supply increase with the increase in demand has caused the majority of inflation.

The money supply has increased lots of times over the past 10 years and it hasn't impacted inflation at all, so there isn't even that much correlation, let alone proof of causation.
  • TheBigBean

I think it does, unless you can prove the money supply increase with the increase in demand has caused the majority of inflation.

The money supply has increased lots of times over the past 10 years and it hasn't impacted inflation at all, so there isn't even that much correlation, let alone proof of causation.
    I've provided graphs to evidence that this isn't the case at M4 level.
  • TheBigBean
    M4 increase.

songs smileys
  • Saying an F1 car won’t finish because the engine blows up and the F1 car doesn’t finish because the driver crashed it into a wall, that is not a good prediction

A better analogy would be us saying that if he keeps driving like a tvvat he will kill somebody. He has now driven into a wall and killed himself and you are arguing we were wrong.

Anyway we all kept saying that with that level of debt if conditions changed against us then it would be uncontrollable.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited September 2022
    We all knew the conditions would change against us the only question was when. I think within 5 years was ballpark. How is irrelevant, what was needed was a plan of action.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Thank you Secretsqirrel. Come on, where's the rest of them?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,917
    edited September 2022
    Well, the fact my greatness can be disparaged in such a way makes me feel sad. I'm going back to the $h1tness of reality and it's all your faults.
  • Hope you're all happy!