TDF 2021: Stage 9, Cluses > Tignes 144.9 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754

Pross said:

Pog looked under pressure on Friday and was saved time loss by Movistar then turned in that performance yesterday.

I'm not sure Pog was under pressure there, though his team was.
    How many times did they show the peloton and pog was giving it the full tt winner bit on the front to bring the break back?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,885
    edited July 2021
    He better be in the small cranked ring today and pack it in with that big/big crossed chain swagger.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

He better be in the small cranked ring today and pack it in with that big/big crossed chain swagger.

My wife generally favours the big/big combination but hers is a 34:32 and it's mainly because she still hasn't managed to figure out how her gears work.
  • focuszing723
    mrb123 said:

My wife generally favours the big/big combination but hers is a 34:32 and it's mainly because she still hasn't managed to figure out how her gears work.
    Yeah. The other riders he was swaggering passed must have saw that and thought, "now that's a statement".
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    After 12 years of riding I've started to cross chain a lot more this year. It's far easier to maintain pace than dropping in to the inner ring and moving down the sprockets.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

Pross said:

Pog looked under pressure on Friday and was saved time loss by Movistar then turned in that performance yesterday.

I'm not sure Pog was under pressure there, though his team was.
    How many times did they show the peloton and pog was giving it the full tt winner bit on the front to bring the break back?
    He was doing a lot of work early in yesterday's stage . He thrives in the rain.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Cross chaining really isn’t the issue some make it out to be on a modern groupset.
  • Are we assuming a snooze today?

In GC terms, probably. But an awful lot of people can now be let up the road so the breakaway/stage win battle might be rather entertaining.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    gsk82 said:

After 12 years of riding I've started to cross chain a lot more this year. It's far easier to maintain pace than dropping in to the inner ring and moving down the sprockets.

What, you mean you don't enjoy that brief moment of nothingness when you drop down to the inner ring?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors
    I am still somewhat in shock not that he dropped every one but by how much . That was kinda special.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

I am still somewhat in shock not that he dropped every one but by how much . That was kinda special.

Indeed. 3 minutes on one mountain is kinda unheard of.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,031
    Hope we see a counter bazooka by other GC contenders today, knowing that tomorrow is a rest day and hoping Pog feels a little fatigued today from his climbing efforts yesterday.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2021

Hope we see a counter bazooka by other GC contenders today, knowing that tomorrow is a rest day and hoping Pog feels a little fatigued today from his climbing efforts yesterday.

Chapeau if they come out fighting... But frankly he destroyed everyone ... just before carapaz tried following pog that moment was supposed to be Tao and Richie setting up carapaz to attack ... Instead pog barged Tao off the wheel then attacked himself pog trumped the ineos plan and made them look team b .
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Not sure Carapaz' fairly fruitless attacks over the past few stages cost him more than Pogacar yesterday.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    van der Poel not starting today
  • phreak

Chapeau if they come out fighting... But frankly he destroyed everyone ... just before carapaz tried following pog that moment was supposed to be Tao and Richie setting up carapaz to attack ... Instead pog barged Tao off the wheel then attacked himself pog trumped the ineos plan and made them look team b .
    Indeed. He put 3 minutes into every single other contender over 17km of climbing. That's not them having a bad day, that's Pogacar being on another planet. I can't see how there is any way back from that.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2021
    Van der Poel has had his fun and isn't starting today.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    Apparently Thomas will start. I thought he would.
  • bobmcstuff
    phreak said:

Indeed. He put 3 minutes into every single other contender over 17km of climbing. That's not them having a bad day, that's Pogacar being on another planet. I can't see how there is any way back from that.
    Well he might fall off?
  • bobmcstuff
    Brian Smith thinks its all over.

The only place he lost time last year was in the crosswinds and that was 90 seconds...
  • phreak

phreak said:

Well he might fall off?
    To be honest, even then, he's got 5 minutes on most serious GC contenders so he could afford most mishaps bar a race-ending one.
  • bobmcstuff
    You'd need to somehow get him totally isolated and chasing a big committed group on the flat.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

gsk82 said:

What, you mean you don't enjoy that brief moment of nothingness when you drop down to the inner ring?
    It's the heart in mouth moment when you drop into the inner at the same time as sending the chain back down the cassette and both ends are flapping in the wind. Praying you don't ship the chain.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Van der Poel has had his fun and isn't starting today.

That guy brought value to this race .
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137

Brian Smith thinks its all over.

The only place he lost time last year was in the crosswinds and that was 90 seconds...

That's where the interest would be. If Ineos and Jumbo plus the likes of DQS or Bora put the hammer down in a crosswind they could do some damage. UAE don't seem to have a lot of strength in that department. Thing is it a) requires the right conditions b) needs teams ready to go for it and c) Pog to be poorly positioned so he can't just follow his rivals wheels knowing it is likely to be coming.
  • focuszing723
    edited July 2021
    Ha, I just saw Cav accidently gob on Quintana's hoods and then wipe them off.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    Always surprised at riders wearing dark glasses in these conditions.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700

You'd need to somehow get him totally isolated and chasing a big committed group on the flat.

He was totally isolated yesterday. ;):D

There is no modern racing scenario whereby a 5 minute margin can be overturned.
    The others will be hoping and praying for some sort of mishap to befall him, that enables them to capitalise.
    Could be a crash, could be a puncture on a stage that has crosswinds along most of the route, or sickness.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    What the hell is Kirby on about "would you believe it they do winter skiing here". Yes Carlton.