TDF 2021: Stage 8, Oyonnax > Le Grand-Bornand 150.8 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,534

phreak said:

phreak said:

mrb123 said:

Hard to see how Pog can be beaten for the foreseeable future.

Bernal at his best might hold him on the climbs but will ship minutes to him in the TTs.

He's just put 3 minutes into Grand Tour winners over about 15km of climbing.
    Well one. The rest are crash compromised.
    Still. We're in an era when winning margins are counted in handfuls of seconds, and then along he comes and gives us a crushing margin the likes of which we haven't seen since the Pantani and Armstrong days. I've been watching cycling for a long time and this has familiar feelings. Feelings I thought had gone.
    I had some familiar feelings: there'll be loads of people questioning the performance based on nothing but gut feel, but adamant that something dodgy is going on. The constant suspicion and innuendo from many spoils things more for me than someone actually getting popped.
    This sums it up for me really well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Sadly we can't erase cycling's history.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    mrb123 said:

Sadly we can't erase cycling's history.

No, but let's not be trapped by it. You've got to have faith in the system, otherwise, what's the point?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    It's also not like Pog has come from nowhere is it. And the competition is all a bit off (or has crashed...).

But yeah, obviously there will be questions.
  • mrb123
    Let's see what happens tomorrow.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Class!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff

Kid looks so chuffed. TdG was using it as a reason why riders ditching bottles shouldn't be penalised if its like this.
  • bobmcstuff

I'm more worried that it's going to make the GC competition somewhat nominal for the next couple of weeks than worrying if it's literally unbelievable, but I understand those who compare it to rides of the past, and remember the emotions of seeing them get chalked off rather more than the fun of watching someone produce that ride in the first place.

There's quite a difference between feeling a little uneasy because of those internalised associations and immediately decrying it, or even insinuating it, as a massive act of doping though. There's a certain type of person who is so vocally determined to not get fooled again that they'll easily fool themselves.

Yeah I think my main concern is the GC will now be quite dull. Despite a fantastic 1st week.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    Having watched every stage live until today I had my first running race since February 2020 today. What a day to miss live, I guess that answers whether Pog can cope with the real climbers over bigger climbs. I guess the only hope for the race going forwards is if he's gone too deep and blows spectacularly tomorrow.

Showed really maturity to not overdo it on the descent and to allow the other two to fight out the podium positions.

Too many posts to go back through but did Cav make the time limit?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,900
    Yes Cav did.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    I think Pog has said he doesn't like the heat, so need 40 odd degrees for the Pyrenees!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    Pog is the most radioactive person to come from Eastern Europe since Chernobyl.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Pross
    rozzer32 said:

He's from Central Europe
  • Pross
    Shame he hadn't lost time early on to really make a GC battle.

I guess when you're the best rider with an average team you have to race in a different way.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    Pross said:

rozzer32 said:

He's from Central Europe
    Yea but the joke doesn’t work if the correct facts are used.

***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • mrb123
    Pross said:

I guess when you're the best rider with an average team you have to race in a different way.

Team didn't look too shabby today. He only burnt off Formolo and McNulty because he told them to step on it before his attack.

• bobmcstuff
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Team didn't look too shabby today. He only burnt off Formolo and McNulty because he told them to step on it before his attack.

Who was the UAE rider who was on the front for ages who looked like he was about to cry the whole time?
  • mrb123

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Who was the UAE rider who was on the front for ages who looked like he was about to cry the whole time?
    Formolo wasn't it?
  • Pross
    When did Geraint actually get dropped? I watched the live coverage on catch up but fast forwarded quite a bit. I saw the whole of the climb at the start when Cav got dropped but didn't see Geraint go on there. I then forwarded to the Cat 3 climb and saw Roglic getting dropped but Geraint was already over 6 minutes behind.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Davide Formolo.
    After dropping the likes of Richie Porte, he still was able to finish with the GC group.
    A pity he was so shiite at the Giro when he was supposed to be in form.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Pross said:

When did Geraint actually get dropped? I watched the live coverage on catch up but fast forwarded quite a bit. I saw the whole of the climb at the start when Cav got dropped but didn't see Geraint go on there. I then forwarded to the Cat 3 climb and saw Roglic getting dropped but Geraint was already over 6 minutes behind.

Almost immediately...

Froome and Gee were in the autobus before Cav 😮
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    edited July 2021
    4 Grand Tour winners in the bus today!!! Can’t be often that that has happened…

(4x WC, 1x OC)
    Rich
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    richa said:

4 Grand Tour winners in the bus today!!! Can’t be often that that has happened…

(4x WC, 1x OC)

I'd make it 7 World Champions. Costa and Kwiatkowski were only a few seconds ahead (less than 20) and Tony Martin as well
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross said:

rozzer32 said:

He's from Central Europe
    Only 60 miles from Trieste Italy. I know that as I did a tour of Slovenia when the Giro went there 2003? Had an incredible truffle themed banquet with the best wine imaginable for something like 12.50. I went to Croatia and saw a stage of the Junior tour - it was really well organised and professional with loads of teams
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    rozzer32 said:

Pross said:

rozzer32 said:

He's from Central Europe
    Yea but the joke doesn’t work if the correct facts are used.

It wasn't a great joke TBH
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Pross said:

rozzer32 said:

He's from Central Europe
    Only 60 miles from Trieste Italy. I know that as I did a tour of Slovenia when the Giro went there 2003? Had an incredible truffle themed banquet with the best wine imaginable for something like 12.50. I went to Croatia and saw a stage of the Junior tour - it was really well organised and professional with loads of teams

I would say that for people of a certain age (most of us I think), the idea of Eastern Europe dates back to the Cold War as Eastern Europe means the Warsaw Pact + Yugoslavia
    Twitter: @RichN95