TDF 2021: Stage 7, Vierzon > Le Creusot 249.1 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254

It's a long way to.go

Considering this was where the interesting part of the stage was supposed to start, it's been alright so far, this.

All the riders in the break look like they're having a great time.
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Bloody typical. Really wanted to see this stage early doors. Had to go to the big smoke to collect a suit, now sitting in a hospital car park 😡
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Typical Kirby. He's got JHB talking about a wine from the wrong region.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited July 2021

Bloody typical. Really wanted to see this stage early doors. Had to go to the big smoke to collect a suit, now sitting in a hospital car park 😡

Cripes. Just how badly did it fit to do that to you?

(edit - hope it's nothing serious and you were planning to be at the hospital etc)
  • bianchi_dave

Cripes. Just how badly did it fit to do that to you?

(edit - hope it's nothing serious and you were planning to be at the hospital etc)
    Was a little tight on the waist but the tailor sorted it 👌🤣
    Wife has appt now, unfortunately!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bianchi_dave
    How far to go on stage?
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • kingstongraham

How far to go on stage?

94km. Break has 6 minutes or so.
  • Lanterne_Rogue

How far to go on stage?

94km

Tour suggesting they'll hit the first real climb in the next ten-fifteen minutes or so (depending on when you read this!)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    How much time is it sensible to give the greatest cyclist of the 21st century?
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,932
    Missed the sprint, I know Cav got it but did he need to work for it or did they let him go?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    JimD666 said:

Missed the sprint, I know Cav got it but did he need to work for it or did they let him go?

Asgreen gave him a lead out. Two others sat on his wheel and couldn't be bothered to try to come round. The rest did nothing.
  • kingstongraham
    JimD666 said:

Four rolled off the front and he needed to put no effort in to take it. Nobody tried for it, alpecin not wanting to upset the nice thing they have going here.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,932
  • Lanterne_Rogue

JimD666 said:

Asgreen gave him a lead out. Two others sat on his wheel and couldn't be bothered to try to come round. The rest did nothing.
    Mohoric 3rd (vaguely up there to make a token effort to deny Cavendish a point for Colbrelli?) and Van Poppel (for nobody). Everyone else about 50m behind and utterly uninterested.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860

How far to go on stage?

90 k
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    JimD666 said:

Stiff effort not total
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Now on the first climb, 6'40" in hand
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    Looks like it would have been a perfect chance for Ineos to get Porte or TGH up the road.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited July 2021
    mrfpb said:

No live coverage from ITV until 2:00pm, no live feed on the BBC yet either.
    I hope the riders save some energy for the weekend, when I can actually watch them.

I'd strongly recommend you either take out a months sub to GCN Racepass or ES player, or lookout for when they next have a £19.99 deal for the entire 12 months, well worth it - no ads, great coverage, and sometimes kirby isn't commentating - what's not to like.

Previous years ITV4 had full day coverage haven't they, cutbacks I guess :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • TheBigBean
    phreak said:

It's going to be interesting to find out.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2021
    Seems that Eurosport have figured out that they can use Kirby as much as they want when ITV aren't transmitting.
    He's only been off air for less than an hour and I don't know how much more of him I can take.

Tbh, I haven't watched much since the break went.
  • TheBigBean
    I was trying to think of previous tours where riders were given time: Chiappucci, Pereiro, Voeckler and Alaphilippe (?). Any others?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906

phreak said:

It's going to be interesting to find out.
    I mean he lost well over an hour last year so it's quite probable his Tirreno performances won't translate. Not sure UAE are too worried as they still have half a dozen riders at the front.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    daniel_b said:

mrfpb said:

I hope the riders save some energy for the weekend, when I can actually watch them.

I'd strongly recommend you either take out a months sub to GCN Racepass or ES player, or lookout for when they next have a £19.99 deal for the entire 12 months, well worth it - no ads, great coverage, and sometimes kirby isn't commentating - what's not to like.

It was a very early start today so I understand coverage not being there from the off, however If I was to pay, I'd rather be listening to Ned Boulting and David Millar than Sean Kelly or Kirby, even if it was just audio. Can't GCN get Wiggins to commentate? That would be worth paying for.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Gc teams massing on front. Trying to isolate Pog already on these small climbs?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    Must be.
    Something is afoot
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    mrfpb said:

daniel_b said:

mrfpb said:

It was a very early start today so I understand coverage not being there from the off, however If I was to pay, I'd rather be listening to Ned Boulting and David Millar than Sean Kelly or Kirby, even if it was just audio. Can't GCN get Wiggins to commentate? That would be worth paying for.
    He is in France doing isolation before getting on the motorbike for comments.
    I'd have went out a couple of weeks ago. Dare say he had other commitments.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Just position fight before a road narrowing by the looks
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Have the breakaway snapped the elastic?
    JV had a half hearted attempt to pull the peleton, but seemed to sit up PDQ (I'm going by the Race Center feed).
    Is the plan to wreck UAE before the finale then do a mighty push? They don't seem to have the miles in which to do it.