TDF 2021: Stage 7, Vierzon > Le Creusot 249.1 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    UAE can't do it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,265
    They definitely don't have a team good enough to bring that back if they work together. Not sure who would.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Can't help but get the impression that Ineos and JV are sitting here smirking at UAE and thinking "go on then, lads - what are you going to do about this?"
  • mididoctors
    Go on cav
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    MvdP and WvA planned this I reckon
  • mididoctors
    Going out to a minute .. UAE could shut down completely and try and bluff it .
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Cavendish is loving this, isn't he?

• kingstongraham
    Could be the day nibali wins the tour.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I don't think I've ever seen a sportsman just so bloomin' happy he's doing what he's doing for his job. Gives me goosebumps.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    Had a feeling Cav might try and make the break today. Sprint is before any climbs and he can take the climbs easier if he starts with a few minutes of an advantage over the peleton
  • mididoctors
    larkim said:

I don't think I've ever seen a sportsman just so bloomin' happy he's doing what he's doing for his job. Gives me goosebumps.

Beats sweeping up discarded turkey heads at a bernad Matthews factory farm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    edited July 2021
    Think I picked the wrong viking in PTP. Edit - no mine made the cut too. (Asgreen).
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    My word, that's an interesting break!

This is going to be a long bstsrd day for UAE
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    WvA MvdP and JA are the best thing to happen to cycling ... reintroduced genuine passion . Shame JA didn't make the break too ...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Already 15 minutes ahead of the fastest schedule and that mostly into a headwind.
    It really doesn't matter that the cross twins are in the break. MVDP will wave bye bye to the Maillot Jeune over the weekend.

However, the Shark's share price has increased considerably.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    Vincenzo Nibali, Toms Skujins, Jasper Stuyven (Trek-Segafredo)

Philippe Gilbert, Harry Sweeny, Brent Van Moer (Lotto Soudal)

Mathieu van der Poel, Xandro Muerisse (Alpecin-Fenix)

Wout van Aert, Mike Teunissen (Jumbo-Visma)

Kasper Asgreen, Mark Cavendish (Deceuninck-QuickStep)

Imanol Erviti, Ivan Cortina (Movistar)

Magnus Cort, Ruben Guerreiro (EF-Nippo)

Jan Bakelants, Danny Van Poppel (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert)

Simon Yates (Team BikeExchange)

Dylan van Baarle (Ineos Grenadiers)

Patrick Konrad (Bora-Hansgrohe)

Christophe Laporte (Cofidis)

Victor Campenaerts (Qhubeka NextHash)

Soren Kragh Andersen (Team DSM)

Matej Mohoric (Bahrain Victorious)

Hugo Houle (Astana-Premier Tech)

Dorion Godon (AG2R Citroën)

Franck Bonnamour (B&B Hotels)
  • TheBigBean
    At some point, Ineos will need to ride.
  • kingstongraham

There's a couple of riders they wouldn't want to allow 5 minutes on gc, but they aren't the only team that could be worrying about podium places.
  • mididoctors

I would bluff it out .... Let it go right out
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194

It's the responsibility of the team of the defending champion/highest place GC rider isn't it? Let UAE ride.
  • kingstongraham
    r0bh said:

It's the responsibility of the team of the defending champion/highest place GC rider isn't it? Let UAE ride.
    That works up to a point, but if nibali and van aert get 10 minutes?
  • mididoctors
    Let it go to 10+ minutes and make UAE chisel it back time over multiple stages until they are on their knees ...that would be my strategy I'd I was jumbo or ineos
  • kingstongraham
    If I was jumbo, definitely. Ineos hmm. You're relying on nibali cracking massively which is likely but not certain.
  • mididoctors
    Do nothing at all to help UAE
  • mididoctors

If I was jumbo, definitely. Ineos hmm. You're relying on nibali cracking massively which is likely but not certain.

What's more likley nibali cracking or geriant dropping pog with a team
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Definitely let it go for a while. It won't get over the lumps intact, see what things look like after the first climb or two.
    Also, definitely bluff and put UAE under the cosh
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I've just been able to turn on the coverage. Have I missed any cows?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TheBigBean

History shows a couple of things. 1. Giving any rider a headstart is a badidea as they can usually climb a lot better when they need to. 2. Most teams will ride to protect minor places. Froome wouldn't have won one of his tours if J Rodriguez wasn't keen on a palce.

• mididoctors

I've just been able to turn on the coverage. Have I missed any cows?

I must admit I didn't notice
  • TheBigBean

Definitely let it go for a while. It won't get over the lumps intact, see what things look like after the first climb or two.
    Also, definitely bluff and put UAE under the cosh

Much easier to claw time back on the flat with a team.