GB News

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298

Andrew Neil is stepping back from presenting his programme for a few weeks. After 2 weeks.

So now no serious journalism on there is there?

Sounds like he has taken two weeks hols to look for another job.
    I thought he'd joined the list of people boycotting GBNews
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230

Andrew Neil is stepping back from presenting his programme for a few weeks. After 2 weeks.

"I’m simply taking a break to replenish my batteries after the rigours of the launch. Plus I have other business matters to attend to."

Bit weird.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

"I’m simply taking a break to replenish my batteries after the rigours of the launch. Plus I have other business matters to attend to."

Bit weird.
    They've run out of money.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932

Yep. Is 92,000 for its flagship show enough to make money?

1/10th of what essentially the same show was drawing in when it was on the BBC

1/6th of what Iain Dale is getting on LBC.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861

Yep. Is 92,000 for its flagship show enough to make money?

1/10th of what essentially the same show was drawing in when it was on the BBC

1/6th of what Iain Dale is getting on LBC.

Too early to tell.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

I do think it's important to know with all these news outlets, papers and TV, nowadays there is no money in it, especially not newspapers.

Murdoch recently wrote down the value of the sun to zero, right? There is no commercial value in that paper. There is however political value.

We're moving into a sort of neo-Victorian world where a handful of superrich go around buying up newspapers at a loss (think WSJ, Evening Standard, the sun, the times & Sunday times, telegraph etc etc) to push their own personal political agendas.

What are these people paying for? to influence mugs like us.

Talking of loss making papers with political agendas, is the Guardian still begging for online donations?
    For reasons that are a complete mystery to me that begging bowl raises staggering sums of money (think tens of millions), in the USA it is tax deductible.
    Pretty sure even if the donations dried up, the Guardian would keep going. I think it's backed by a trust that was set up by the family that established the paper and is worth I think more than a £billion, certainly hundreds of millions
    Pretty much though intriguingly the money came from the traditional leftie source of private equity deals or what their Journos call vulture capitalism.

Trusts that can not be topped up tend to be invested very conservatively so I imagine the losses need to be closer to £50m than £100m to be sustainable.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    GB News figures, Thursday:

BBC News at Ten: 3.6 million
    BBC News 1pm: 2.4 million
    ITV News at Ten: 1.5 million
    BBC Breakfast: 1.4 million
    BBC Question Time: 1.3 million
    Good Morning Britain: 717,000
    BBC News 9am: 294,000
    BBC Newsnight: 286,000
    Kay Burley, Sky: 54,000
    Sky News Ian King: 42,000
    Great British Breakfast on GB News: 32,000
    Andrew Neil: 31,000
    GB News DePerio & Halligan 16,000
    GB News Brazier & Muroki: 11,000
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I'm amazed how few people watch a lot of those. Not sure how GMB got the advertising to justify Piers Morgan's salary off 700,000 viewers, maybe their figures have slumped since he went.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    I'm not surprised, with online news you can dip in when you want. Also when you do it's within seconds current with the information. I bet the majority of people who are online know exactly what the news is going to be before switching on the TV News.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    How does GB News figures compare with similar opinion on the news shows like Loose Women?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

How does GB News figures compare with similar opinion on the news shows like Loose Women?

They get around 1m and up to 1.4m viewers in lockdown.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    A trade union activist and author writes.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Cool Story Bro.

Why do I suspect that he did this on a panel with 3 other rabid right wingers who spent 90% of the rest of the program arguing that he was a mad, crazy fool...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    shortfall said:
    You know I keep banging on about a re-alignment of politics, and left right isn't about trade unions, working class etc, right?

Why do you think that is?
  • shortfall
    ddraver said:

Cool Story Bro.

Why do I suspect that he did this on a panel with 3 other rabid right wingers who spent 90% of the rest of the program arguing that he was a mad, crazy fool...

Do you suspect it because you want it to be so? I mean fine if you don't want to watch it and just prefer to keep posting stuff that fits in with your confirmation bias. Meanwhile lots of people from the left are appearing on it and are given time and space to articulate their cause.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,474
    ddraver said:

Cool Story Bro.

So you're just assuming that is the case and haven't watched it? The adds value...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Oddly neither of you have said he was wrong
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    A brief search shows it was Nigel Farage, Tom Harwood and Dehenna Davison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a34iKts9WYc
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    I mean, nothing the guy writes in his tweet is aligned with either the modern right or left.

The current dynamic in politics roughly revolved around young/old (or working/retired), educated/uneducated, which very roughly correlates with populist/liberal.

The "left is for working class people in manual jobs and trade unions" and "right is rich people, high earners and the aspirational" is so outdated non of the data supports it anymore.

It's this misunderstanding which you lot constantly refer to that makes me get back on my hobby horse. Understand that the world has changed ffs.

If you imagine GB news through the lens of who is it appealing to and you'll quickly see the implied balance is only balance if you're over 55.
  • pangolin

I mean, nothing the guy writes in his tweet is aligned with either the modern right or left.

The current dynamic in politics roughly revolved around young/old (or working/retired), educated/uneducated, which very roughly correlates with populist/liberal.

The "left is for working class people in manual jobs and trade unions" and "right is rich people, high earners and the aspirational" is so outdated non of the data supports it anymore.

It's this misunderstanding which you lot constantly refer to that makes me get back on my hobby horse. Understand that the world has changed ffs.

If you imagine GB news through the lens of who is it appealing to and you'll quickly see the implied balance is only balance if you're over 55.

Am I misunderstanding you or do you have your correlation flipped around?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    I don't think you need to go in for RC's political realignment hobby horse, so much as just recognising that
    1. the people setting up GB News have significantly overestimated the size of the supposed silent majority who share their view of the world,
    2. They put too much store in the prowess of Neil as a political broadcaster and not enough in all the stuff that goes to making a TV station actually function.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    Your retired miner living in a "red wall" constituency and your retired banker in Kent are voting for the same party.

As they both live in the past where they were historic political opposites, GB news can put on people who tie into those historic opposites so they feel its balanced wherears in fact they're offering them the same juice the Tories are offering.

It is not balance. Balance would be Neil not spending 1/3 of the interview with Sunak on pensions, where rising wages were only mentioned in the context of it being a driver of state pension rises. . Think about that for a moment.

What are the priorities here.

The other 1/3 of that interview was about the 'cost' of going green, as presumably the target audience will be dead when the cost of not going green will be felt. The inference being "why are we paying for this - we'll be dead anyway".

• shortfall
    edited June 2021
    rjsterry said:

I don't think you need to go in for RC's political realignment hobby horse, so much as just recognising that
    1. the people setting up GB News have significantly overestimated the size of the supposed silent majority who share their view of the world,
    2. They put too much store in the prowess of Neil as a political broadcaster and not enough in all the stuff that goes to making a TV station actually function.

This is probably fair. However a few weeks in and there are noticeable improvements in production and programming. In terms of viewing figures I guess it's a waiting game. Maybe they're about what they were aiming for, if not maybe they hope that they will pick up organically via word of mouth, social media etc? If not will they advertise, or chase ratings by hiring more controversial presenters? Maybe they don't care? I don't know. I've really enjoyed a lot of the of the programs and debates but then again I've actually watched a fair bit of it in order to arrive at my opinion. Revolutionary I know.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

It was billed as 'right leaning' and in the current context that means leaning towards old and/or uneducated.
  • elbowloh
    This Paul Embery

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,474

rjsterry said:

It was billed as 'right leaning' and in the current context that means leaning towards old and/or uneducated.
    Funny that, as people who tend to be 'right leaning' are often pretty successful, which usually does not correlate well with your uneducated premise.

Not that I've watched an enormous amount of GB News, but maybe you should tell me what programmes I should be watching given that I'm a graduate with a professional qualification?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    Did you miss the "or" there?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Funny that, as people who tend to be 'right leaning' are often pretty successful, which usually does not correlate well with your uneducated premise.

o rly.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh said:

This Paul Embery

In case you guys missed this. The guys shares platforms with Farage, no wonder he was invited on as a token/cuckoo lefty... ;)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk