GB News

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,333

pangolin said:

It's not a news channel.

It's Good Morning Britain but with more hate.
    Good Morning Britain has news bulletins.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited June 2021
    orraloon said:

B3llends gonna b3llend. Has supermassive terwat Niggly Fartrage got a slot yet?

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,896
    rjsterry said:

I don't know why they didn't just call it Spectator TV.

Talk TV?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Just switched this on for the first time - Christ it's bad.

Why is it so dark, why do they have glass walls revealing what looks like some basement call centre behind them, why does the whole conversation appear forced and do they just talk about culture wars the entire time?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    The Bbbrexit Bbbenfits show don't fill much air time...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    Maybe UEFA have started advertising on GB News? "Wokewatch, brought to you by UEFA".

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    elbowloh said:

Maybe UEFA have started advertising on GB News? "Wokewatch, brought to you by UEFA".

There's these homophobic police horses too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMyf6ewi7E8
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Sod the news, what is going on with that website?
    I feel assaulted.
  • Pross
    morstar said:

I feel assaulted.
    Horrendous isn't it? I struggled to find the actual story among the junk on the layout.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,089
    Pross said:

morstar said:

I feel assaulted.
    Horrendous isn't it? I struggled to find the actual story among the junk on the layout.

Haha, yes, quite. But somewhere buried there...

BBC Breakfast: 1.4 million
    Good Morning Britain: 574,000
    Channel 4 News: 323,000
    BBC Newsnight: 288,000
    BBCNews 9am: 226,000
    Sky News Breakfast: 73,000
    Great British Breakfast: 56,000
    Brazier and Muroki: 36,000
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited June 2021

Pross said:

morstar said:

I feel assaulted.

Haha, yes, quite. But somewhere buried there...

BBC Breakfast: 1.4 million
    Good Morning Britain: 574,000
    Channel 4 News: 323,000
    BBC Newsnight: 288,000
    BBCNews 9am: 226,000
    Sky News Breakfast: 73,000
    Great British Breakfast: 56,000
    Brazier and Muroki: 36,000
    I would be pulling my advertising too if no one is watching.
    Unless I was selling MEGA hats.

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited June 2021
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9721469/Andrew-Neil-celebrates-GB-News-beating-BBC-Sky-audience-figures.html

And a very good show it is too, more fool the BBC for letting him go. Technical problems, Mike Oxbig gaffes and lighting seem to be largely sorted out now too but the Breakfast show is still a weak link. Most of the other output is fairly good IMHO and whatever else it might be it's most definitely not far right and hate filled.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,732
    shortfall said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9721469/Andrew-Neil-celebrates-GB-News-beating-BBC-Sky-audience-figures.html

And a very good show it is too, more fool the BBC for letting him go. Technical problems, Mike Oxbig gaffes and lighting seem to be largely sorted out now too but the Breakfast show is still a weak link. Most of the other output is fairly good IMHO and whatever else it might be it's most definitely not far right and hate filled.

But surely its still too early to say given they've only beaten the BBC figures several times in the first 2 weeks since launching :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Yep. Is 92,000 for its flagship show enough to make money?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    edited June 2021

I've said this like 5 times, the prospectus for GB news says explicitly it will not make money and it will rely on donations by offering a chance to mingle with their guests to break even.

It is not a commercial venture, it is a political one, backed by well known political players.
  • kingstongraham

I've said this like 5 times, the prospectus for GB news says explicitly it will not make money and it will rely on donations by offering a chance to mingle with their guests to break even.

It is not a commercial venture, it is a political one, backed by well known political players.
    Still need some viewers tho
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,950

Still need some viewers tho
    Meh, they just need hits on you tube and retweets on twitter.
  • rick_chasey
    I do think it's important to know with all these news outlets, papers and TV, nowadays there is no money in it, especially not newspapers.

Murdoch recently wrote down the value of the sun to zero, right? There is no commercial value in that paper. There is however political value.

We're moving into a sort of neo-Victorian world where a handful of superrich go around buying up newspapers at a loss (think WSJ, Evening Standard, the sun, the times & Sunday times, telegraph etc etc) to push their own personal political agendas.

What are these people paying for? to influence mugs like us.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

I do think it's important to know with all these news outlets, papers and TV, nowadays there is no money in it, especially not newspapers.

Murdoch recently wrote down the value of the sun to zero, right? There is no commercial value in that paper. There is however political value.

We're moving into a sort of neo-Victorian world where a handful of superrich go around buying up newspapers at a loss (think WSJ, Evening Standard, the sun, the times & Sunday times, telegraph etc etc) to push their own personal political agendas.

Poses an interesting question for the future.

When the print media buying generation are no more, what direction will politics take when we (they) are all fed their information by t’interweb.

It’s more diverse in content but equally more extreme with fewer checks and balances.
  • rick_chasey
    The problem with the model is the personal agendas of superrich tend not to align with ROW
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,732

Talking of loss making papers with political agendas, is the Guardian still begging for online donations?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

Talking of loss making papers with political agendas, is the Guardian still begging for online donations?
    Absolutely.

Look at how they ask for it

In these extraordinary times, the Guardian’s editorial independence has never been more important. Because no one sets our agenda, or edits our editor, we can keep delivering high-impact, trustworthy journalism each and every day. Free from commercial or political influence, we can report fearlessly on world events and challenge those in power.

We believe everyone deserves equal access to accurate news and calm explanation. Your support enables us to keep our journalism open for all. No matter how unpredictable the future feels, we will provide vital information so we can all make decisions about our lives, health and security – based on fact, not fiction.

Support the Guardian from as little as £1 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.

I do think the FT, times (Murdoch ownership aside) etc have the right model ultimately.

If your news is free or next to free, you are the product and the owners of the newspaper are paying for it.

If you want proper news you have to pay properly for it.
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

But surely its still too early to say given they've only beaten the BBC figures several times in the first 2 weeks since launching :)
    It's hardly comparing apples with apples is it? Only one of the broadcasters is reliant solely on that channel and has it as their entire point for existing.

For what it's worth I knew someone who used to present a section on QVC selling hair products and he used to claim viewing figures far in excess of 92,000.
  • kingstongraham
    Not sure why he's comparing viewing figures with news bulletins on news channels.

Claiming to be number one in time slot when there was football getting more viewers is a bit dubious.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Stevo_666 said:

For reasons that are a complete mystery to me that begging bowl raises staggering sums of money (think tens of millions), in the USA it is tax deductible.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,783
    Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

For a news programme at 8pm when the soaps are on. It's a very specifically qualified brag. The viewing numbers are well below what a niche YouTube channel gets.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    edited June 2021

Stevo_666 said:

For reasons that are a complete mystery to me that begging bowl raises staggering sums of money (think tens of millions), in the USA it is tax deductible.
    Pretty sure even if the donations dried up, the Guardian would keep going. I think it's backed by a trust that was set up by the family that established the paper and is worth I think more than a £billion, certainly hundreds of millions
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    Andrew Neil is stepping back from presenting his programme for a few weeks. After 2 weeks.

So now no serious journalism on there is there?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

Andrew Neil is stepping back from presenting his programme for a few weeks. After 2 weeks.

So now no serious journalism on there is there?

Sounds like he has taken two weeks hols to look for another job.