Critérium du Dauphiné 2021 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Wow, that was so underwhelming.
    A battle of the domestiques and lesser lights.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Where is Froomey?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited June 2021
    davidof said:

Where is Froomey?

A long way back. He got detached on the descent.

Edit: It looks like he did his usual thing of riding until he catches Kwiatkowski and then trundling in with him
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Geraint isn't looking in great form (surprise attack stage win excepted). Couldn't work out if he was just reluctant to do anything that might cut Porte's lead or just didn't have the legs to do anything more than mark the others.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    Pross said:

Geraint isn't looking in great form (surprise attack stage win excepted). Couldn't work out if he was just reluctant to do anything that might cut Porte's lead or just didn't have the legs to do anything more than mark the others.

He looks there abouts thou .. he had a sprint at the top of the climb and put a few secs into the other guys Lopez excepted. Wouldn't be surprised if they defend tomorrow in the final by having G attack . Tao did a lot if pegging back and was fading at the top . Super strong trio to have .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    Who are the best descenders left in the race?
    Tomorrow is up the Joux Plan and down to Morzine (where Froome crashed in the wet in 2016 on his way to overall victory), and then the gentle climb up to Les Gets.

If someone can get a small gap at the top of the JP and then descend fast and increase their advantage they should win the stage.
  • RichN95.

Who are the best descenders left in the race?

No-one stands out to me. I have it in my head that Lutsenko is decent, but that's probably due to other eastern Europeans/Kazakhs
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Tuned into Eurosport at 8pm to watch scheduled highlights of today's stage - tennis still going at 8:50pm with no mention from the commentators why cycling was not on. It's not like the 2 tennis players were top ranked.
    According to the Eurosport app, today's stage highlights now scheduled to start at 8:56, which gives us 3 mins of cycling if the schedule is to be believed.
    How hard would it be for Eurosport to let us know what is going on ?

Pete
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    edited June 2021
    RichN95. said:

I used to ride with him as a club rider . I am a massive fan ... That lad has followed the fastest wheels he can his whole career and if everyone pauses he clips off . Smart lad

Good for you. The kids I played hockey with when they were juniors just got shafted 8-1 by the Olympic Champions
    Lol

Did I tell you about my training rides with Massimo ghirotto ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021

RichN95. said:

I used to ride with him as a club rider . I am a massive fan ... That lad has followed the fastest wheels he can his whole career and if everyone pauses he clips off . Smart lad

Good for you. The kids I played hockey with when they were juniors just got shafted 8-1 by the Olympic Champions
    Lol

Did I tell you about my training rides with Massimo ghirotto ?

They beat France 3-2 today. The Man of the Match used to get dropped to our Vets team when he missed training. He couldn't really hack it at our level. It's a different game down there. Despite this there's a good chance he'll make the GB Olympic squad.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    Patrick Konrad up the road and virtual Yellow in the Dauphine

TV won't start until they're almost at the foot of the Joux Plane
  • Pross

Think he is my random PTP pick that I almost changed when he got dropped early yesterday. This obviously means he will be caught.
  • blazing_saddles

Looking like TV will start around Cluses and that little 3rd cat that crosses the two valleys.
    Konrad has Politt with him to do the donkey work.
    Meanwhile Ineos have Froome and his lads at ISN working to close the gap for them.
    Lead has been cut be well over a minute in very short order.
  • blazing_saddles
    Kirby will be gutted.
    Michael Schwarzmann has abandoned the races, as has Patrick Gamper and Hideto Nakane.
  • Pross
    Hopefully Ineos only care about the GC and not the stage leaving My Man (TM) Konrad to ride to a heroic victory providing me with valuable PTP points.
  • blazing_saddles
    Pross said:

Hopefully Ineos only care about the GC and not the stage leaving My Man (TM) Konrad to ride to a heroic victory providing me with valuable PTP points.

Mark Padun is also in the break.
    If he climbs like yesterday.........
  • blazing_saddles
    LOL Padun!
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Froome off the back
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • blazing_saddles
    Kuss is an enigma. (as is Kruijswijk in this race) This is the climb that should have suited him the best and by half way up, he's out the back.
  • Pross
    Slightly confused, I'm commentary free (bliss!) but the virtual GC is showing Lutsenko in front and Geraint 2nd. What has happened to Porte?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Pross said:

Slightly confused, I'm commentary free (bliss!) but the virtual GC is showing Lutsenko in front and Geraint 2nd. What has happened to Porte?

He's still in the group. Maybe they think he's going to crash on the next descent...
  • Pross
    Even more confused as Porte is clearly there and the graphics are showing the yellow jersey.
  • blazing_saddles
    Meanwhile, the only person on the mountain going faster than the peloton is still Mark Padun.
  • mrb123

Meanwhile, the only person on the mountain going faster than the peloton is still Mark Padun.

Looking at him pedal he always makes me think he has got a flat rear tyre.
  • Pross
    He's now showing as being the leader again. Very strange. Kruijswijk looked to be flying when I turned on and I thought the gap it was showing he had on the peloton was wrong but seemingly not as he he has been 'reabsorbed' as Carlton would say.
  • Pross
    The yellow jersey group is tiny. Three Ineos plus six others
  • mrb123
    Pross said:

Tao gone. Might get back on before the final climb.
  • Pross
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Geraint to lead Porte down the descent. What could possibly go wrong?!
  • blazing_saddles
    Geraint with his usual last km party piece. Haig caught Mas dropped.

Haig giving it some on the descent, now.
  • mrb123
    Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Geraint to lead Porte down the descent. What could possibly go wrong?!
    As you were saying...