Giro 2021:- Stage 21: Senago – Milano 30.3 km ITT **Spoilers**

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,932
    35.41 for Bernal, crosses line with arms aloft!
    Congrats Egan!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Hope he doesn't do his back in, hugging his missus.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,932

Hope he doesn't do his back in, hugging his missus.

More likely to do his tongue in! :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Hatch with the over the top commentary again.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

Don't worry, Ned Boulting will be around for the Tour, to show him how it's really done.
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

Don't worry, Ned Boulting will be around for the Tour, to show him how it's really done.

I listened to his podcast where Evenepoel is apparently a combination of Eddy Merckx, Jesus Christ and Luke Skywalker
  • blazing_saddles
    FFS. GCN leave for the breakaway, just as Rai put up the final GC.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    RichN95. said:

This is why he has quickly become unbearable. He is fine normally it's just when he feels he has to put the results in some context.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    Mikel Nieve finishes his 20th Grand Tour - every single on of them in the top 25 on GC (last year's Tour his only DNF)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907

A Giro to forget finally over for Carthy.

Seems a bit harsh. I've never thought Carthy will ever trouble the top step in a GT, so a top 10 is probably par for the course.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    edited May 2021
    phreak said:

A Giro to forget finally over for Carthy.

Seems a bit harsh. I've never thought Carthy will ever trouble the top step in a GT, so a top 10 is probably par for the course.
    He was more top 5 touted ... Faded in the third and was overpowered by the others in first two . Not a disaster but needs to recalibrate
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    He came this in the vuelta behind carapaz and Roglic last year, so I reckon this is a failure.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • phreak
    gsk82 said:

He came this in the vuelta behind carapaz and Roglic last year, so I reckon this is a failure.

That was after coming 37th in the Tour though. I can very much see him getting numerous top 10s in his career, but I can't see how he'll ever win a GT. I mean in 1 week races he has a best result of 8th.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    m.r.m. said:

RichN95. said:

This is why he has quickly become unbearable. He is fine normally it's just when he feels he has to put the results in some context.
    So who would you rather?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

gsk82 said:

That was after coming 37th in the Tour though. I can very much see him getting numerous top 10s in his career, but I can't see how he'll ever win a GT. I mean in 1 week races he has a best result of 8th.
    that solo attack in the tour de swiss was amazing thou... there is a few big wins in his future i think but gc is an ask. touch of the dan martins without the classics wins
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    Has a rider won their first five Grand Tour Time Trials before? I've checked the usual suspects but can't find anyone.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342

m.r.m. said:

RichN95. said:

So who would you rather?
    I like Dan Lloyd, Matt Stephens, Adam Blythe, Shaun Kelly.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    m.r.m. said:

m.r.m. said:

RichN95. said:

So who would you rather?
    They're all experts who work with him.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    gsk82 said:

m.r.m. said:

m.r.m. said:

RichN95. said:

So who would you rather?
    They're all experts who work with him.

Dan Lloyd does lead commentary. Matt Stephens too occasionally
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Has a rider won their first five Grand Tour Time Trials before? I've checked the usual suspects but can't find anyone.

a few have won the prolog first time trying but asides from that i dont think so
  • phreak

phreak said:

gsk82 said:

that solo attack in the tour de swiss was amazing thou... there is a few big wins in his future i think but gc is an ask. touch of the dan martins without the classics wins
    For sure. He's a good rider and will probably have a fine career. 5-10th will be his stock and trade I suspect.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    phreak said:

phreak said:

gsk82 said:

For sure. He's a good rider and will probably have a fine career. 5-10th will be his stock and trade I suspect.
    Maybe Dan Martin had it right - lose a load of time on one of the early stages, come back strong for a stage win and top ten finish. Suspect Carthy would swap his 8th place for that.
  • mididoctors
    mrb123 said:

phreak said:

phreak said:

gsk82 said:

Maybe Dan Martin had it right - lose a load of time on one of the early stages, come back strong for a stage win and top ten finish. Suspect Carthy would swap his 8th place for that.
    Danmartins win was not from a soft break with loads of time at the base of the final climb ...the giro GC battle was bearing down on him . That was one of his best wins
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2021
    Hugh has finished off on a GT podium thou . Martin hasn't. Should Hugh just forget it ?
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    RichN95. said:

Mikel Nieve finishes his 20th Grand Tour - every single on of them in the top 25 on GC (last year's Tour his only DNF)

Such a quiet guy but always seems to be trying. Well done Mikel.

• mididoctors
    Bloody itv4
  • RichN95.

Bloody itv4

You should see the state of ITV2
  • RichN95.
    phreak said:

There's a question here. Who has the best GC prospects - the leader at EF or the number 2 (or even 3) at Ineos?
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

phreak said:

There's a question here. Who has the best GC prospects - the leader at EF or the number 2 (or even 3) at Ineos?
    Martinez won the Dauphine and dragged bernal over the Alps and finished 5th FFS ... Money is the new doping