Giro 2021:- Stage 16: Sacile – Cortina d’Ampezzo 212 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    good news for some riders then. break to go? 17km descent - that Evenepoel further back but if conditions are rubbish prob just be a break up/down the road
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    The roads looked better in October last year . .. maybe taking the giro into the high mountains of the north isn't viable anymore ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    edited May 2021
    Pross - there would be nothing freakish about the weather being quite different across two mountain passes even in relatively close proximity. that's the nature of the weather in the mountains.
    Look at the 2019 Tour stage to Tignes - bright cloudless sunshire on the ascent of the Col d'Iserean, same on the descent, but a biblical thunder storm with snow, rain and hail had been raging for a while in Tignes around the dam (which I was in the middle of), about 4 miles away, but also still dry at the finish line!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

The roads looked better in October last year . .. maybe taking the giro into the high mountains of the north isn't viable anymore ?

1) Give the Vuelta it's original Spring slot back and move the Giro to late August.
    2) Plan two-interchangeable stages, (based in the same start town or area) comprising of the highest mountain stage and an ITT. Should solve most of the logistical and tv problems.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170

I too wonder that as well; as it seems all we'll get is re-routes, cancellations, etc
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2021

1) Give the Vuelta it's original Spring slot back and move the Giro to late August.
    2) Plan two-interchangeable stages, (based in the same start town or area) comprising of the highest mountain stage and an ITT. Should solve most of the logistical and tv problems.</blockquoteit

Having better b plans
    .it's hard because a totally different route b plan makes barriers etc costly . Do you barrier up both routes ? Creative thinking like that is required
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    botd: D. Martin, Almeida, Formolo, Bouwman, Kangert, Vervaeke, Fortunato, Pedrero, Izgairre, Rubio, Hirt, Fabbro, Ulissi, Brambilla, Großschartner, Villella, Roche, Bouchard, Ghebreigzabhier, Vanhoucke, Tratnik, Visconti, Zoccarato
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Thomas de Gent a DNS.
    Lotto Soudal down to 2 riders!
  • Can’t see that break being given much leeway
  • blazing_saddles
    TJVG told RAI that Carthy woke up, looked out of the window and told him: "today we can win the Giro".

Unconfirmed report that Yates has crashed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    This reduced break may get more leeway. I hope so as I have Nibali for PTP.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    andyp said:

It always amuses me that people sat in nice warm houses and offices criticise the riders for not wanting to risk their health on mountain stages. The Giro runs this risk every year by putting the race above 2000 metres in May, and it's becoming more frequent that they have to amend the stage routes.

Riding in the high mountains in these conditions can be life threatening, just look at what happened in China over the weekend, so shortening the stage is the right decision. By eliminating two climbs, and descents, they've put the welfare of the riders first. Which is good in my opinion.

We've had the same discussion elsewhere..

Cycling trades a lot of the difficulty and on past races where conditions were atrocious.

We all ride in really cold weather. Hell, I've done club runs on very wet 2 degree days.

What's the saying, there's no such thing as bad weather just bad kit and bad riding styles?

We've also seen plenty of racing in equally bad conditions without any health problems beyond it being really difficult in the past.

So unless there is a risk that either the passes are actually unrideable - snow, ice, debris, landslides etc, I don't really see the big deal, especially as they're still going up a very high mountain.

No-one wants riders to risk their lives but rain isn't about risking lives, is it?
  • blazing_saddles

andyp said:

It always amuses me that people sat in nice warm houses and offices criticise the riders for not wanting to risk their health on mountain stages. The Giro runs this risk every year by putting the race above 2000 metres in May, and it's becoming more frequent that they have to amend the stage routes.

Riding in the high mountains in these conditions can be life threatening, just look at what happened in China over the weekend, so shortening the stage is the right decision. By eliminating two climbs, and descents, they've put the welfare of the riders first. Which is good in my opinion.

Cycling trades a lot of the difficulty and on past races where conditions were atrocious.

We all ride in really cold weather. Hell, I've done club runs on very wet 2 degree days.

What's the saying, there's no such thing as bad weather just bad kit and bad riding styles?

We've also seen plenty of racing in equally bad conditions without any health problems beyond it being really difficult in the past.

So unless there is a risk that either the passes are actually unrideable - snow, ice, debris, landslides etc, I don't really see the big deal, especially as they're still going up a very high mountain.

No-one wants riders to risk their lives but rain isn't about risking lives, is it?
    Well, it is actually snowing at the top of all the passes, but it's hardly 1988.

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I suppose everyone is in the same boat, but I might have gone with a different choice for todays PTP if I'd seen this news in time.
  • Break slowly creeping away, now at 5 minutes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

Logical sense for the most southernly race to be the first.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited May 2021
    Front break working well together, now has the chasing group at 1:30, peloton at 6 minutes.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2021
    Some impressive reorganisation by Vengi.
    No live pictures (except in the valleys) because no helicopters, no helicopters because no permission to fly revised route.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Almeida ahead of Evenepoel on virtual gc
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    CN ticker makes it seem quite interesting. Some high placed riders (7.30 / 8.40m ) riders in the break. 6 have broken off the front incl Nibali.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,809

Some impressive reorganisation by Vengi.
    No live pictures (except in the valleys) because no helicopters, no helicopters because no permission to fly revised route.

I heard this mentioned, but it's essentially the same route, other than taking a right turn towards the Giau rather than a left towards the Fedaia
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Flying in cloud, in close proximity to mountains, does not sound like sensible aviation. Cumulo granitis is crunchier than most pilots prefer.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    edited May 2021

It's almost ironic; clothing and bikes, technology has never been better - in theory they could/should handle even worse conditions.

However, one now accepts that they won't gamble if conditions are 'sketchy'.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • DeVlaeminck
    Maybe it's the anti climax but this commentary is dead - I'd take Carlton over Lloyd and Millar right now.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    York.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes forgot she'd changed her surname too
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2021

Yes forgot she'd changed her surname too

Much prefer then light banter of Lloyd and Blythe to the much more sombre, even dour commentary of Pippa York.
    Obviously brought in to cover the mountainless mountain stage!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Robert never could be doing with inane chat. I dare say Pippa is similar. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    Racing is more intense on the downhill these days .