Giro 2021:- Stage 12: Siena – Bagno di Romagna 212 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    From the interview with Bennett I think he was saying Brambilla sat up so they could work together to get back to the other two but he wasn't prepared to work as he knew he couldn't win in a sprint.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    Pross said:

From the interview with Bennett I think he was saying Brambilla sat up so they could work together to get back to the other two but he wasn't prepared to work as he knew he couldn't win in a sprint.

It's a fair point. Why bother if you can't win?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Pross said:

Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Bennett said he's 58 kilos and can barely crack 1000 watts so either of the other 3 guys would have beaten him in a sprint. Apparently Brambilla was getting Bennett to close all the gaps before that too.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620

Bennett said he's 58 kilos and can barely crack 1000 watts so either of the other 3 guys would have beaten him in a sprint. Apparently Brambilla was getting Bennett to close all the gaps before that too.

Pidcock seems to manage OK at that weight.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Brambilla was mos' def riding a la Valverde for the 30 odd km I saw. I'm not surprised Bennet just stopped bothering after a while...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,933
    Brambila has been relegated for his sprint.
    Bennett moved up to 3rd on the stage.
  • pblakeney

Brambila has been relegated for his sprint.
    Bennett moved up to 3rd on the stage.

Not surprised.
    Not sure why I find it quite so funny though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,865

I get the impression Bennett wasn't going to let brambilla win

And Brambilla was not going to let Bennett get third.
    Lol
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2021
    Pross said:

Astana should of attacked today is my thinking ineos looked tired

Not sure about that, Ganna spent most of the day riding on the front looking like he was on a club run.
    Ganna tapped it out but he is closer to the end of his limits I think
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Astana should of attacked today is my thinking ineos looked tired

Not sure about that, Ganna spent most of the day riding on the front looking like he was on a club run.
    The main impediment to attacking was the stage finale . But a old shark got away from the peloton with a late attack
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    r0bh said:

Hamilton's position doesn't look very aero, elbows worse than Froome

Not only that, he was riding a pretty low gear for a flat sprint.
  • jimmyjams
    Pross said:

Think that was purely ego by Moscon to prove he could keep up and wasn't scared to try. He's going to be important in the next few days so definitely an unnecessary risk.

When Moscon chased Nibali (like Pross says for basically a macho reason), he left Bernal leading the pack for 300+ metres. At that moment, it not being a (uphill) stage finish, Bernal looked surprisingly uncomfortable leading, although the pack was only about 20 riders.
    A 'wag' I have contact with, joked the effort will have cost him the Giro. That is clearly nonsense but I do find it disappointing that many GC contenders rarely lead from the front until near a stage finish. I don't know for sure but I imagine 25+ years ago, it was different, that GC contenders did sometimes lead at non-critical sections in a stage, to show their dominance.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    jimmyjams said:

r0bh said:

Hamilton's position doesn't look very aero, elbows worse than Froome

Not only that, he was riding a pretty low gear for a flat sprint.
    Typical MTBer...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2021
    jimmyjams said:

Pross said:

Think that was purely ego by Moscon to prove he could keep up and wasn't scared to try. He's going to be important in the next few days so definitely an unnecessary risk.

When Moscon chased Nibali (like Pross says for basically a macho reason), he left Bernal leading the pack for 300+ metres. At that moment, it not being a (uphill) stage finish, Bernal looked surprisingly uncomfortable leading, although the pack was only about 20 riders.
    A 'wag' I have contact with, joked the effort will have cost him the Giro. That is clearly nonsense but I do find it disappointing that many GC contenders rarely lead from the front until near a stage finish. I don't know for sure but I imagine 25+ years ago, it was different, that GC contenders did sometimes lead at non-critical sections in a stage, to show their dominance.
    Bernal has been on the front quite a lot in this Giro.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    mrb123 said:

Pidcock seems to manage OK at that weight.
    I bet Pidcock can crack 1000 watts in a sprint though.
  • jimmyjams
    Pross said:

If I remember correctly it was Bennett who closed to Brambilla when Brambilla tried to escape, but then rather than work together, Bennett mostly tailed, with the result Vendrame and Hamilton were able to join them again.
    Bennett was probably right that he couldn't win a sprint, but by just tailing Brambilla, allowing the others to come back, he did Brambilla a disservice.
    No wonder Brambilla was unhappy.
  • mididoctors
    Ineos had to take nibali seriously. A rival could bridge or even bernal himself .
  • bobmcstuff
    Brambilla relegated for irregular sprint...
  • bobmcstuff

Ineos had to take nibali seriously. A rival could bridge or even bernal himself .

If Moscon hadn't overcooked it trying to follow Nibali, he would have been there to help close on the flat
  • mididoctors

If Moscon hadn't overcooked it trying to follow Nibali, he would have been there to help close on the flat
    Or pull bernal away from his rivals
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Got to say I've more sympathy with Brambilla than Bennett there - not the getting relegated but the being annoyed at not cooperating.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors

Got to say I've more sympathy with Brambilla than Bennett there - not the getting relegated but the being annoyed at not cooperating.

They neutralised each other ... The truth is the two strongest guys came first and second not third and fourth .
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I felt Brambilla did plenty but wasn't willing to tow Bennett - ymmv. The strongest finisher won anyway I agree.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    The giro delivers ... I do like a 3 week stage race
  • pblakeney
    Past the half way mark and no "the Giro is boring" comments. Telling.
    The unpredictability makes the Giro my favourite GT.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

To be honest I can't see a lot of difference between today's third place sprint and the one where Swift beat the Cofidis dude at Tro Bro the other day, Swift definitely blocked him off but obviously kept the win.

I feel sure if Swift was called Bouhani he would have been demoted.

• pblakeney
    womack said:

To be honest I can't see a lot of difference between today's third place sprint and the one where Swift beat the Cofidis dude at Tro Bro the other day, Swift definitely blocked him off but obviously kept the win.

Just to be clear. You think the Italians demoted an Italian rider in the Giro over a Kiwi?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    womack said:

Swift may have veered slightly off his line on a slight curve. Brambilla's was an act of petulance with someone he'd been having a bit of a spat with for the last 30km.