Giro 2021:- Stage 12: Siena – Bagno di Romagna 212 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    The peloton decides to take in a spot of sightseeing in Florence as we finally have our breakaway.
    Alex Dowsett decides on a longer visit along with Gino Mader
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Been a mental start so far. Don't really understand why they haven't let anyone go.

Been working so not able to watch too closely, but who was doing the work to close it down - if it's teams that have missed out then there's your answer.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Loving these shots of Firenze... many good memories!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    The Vasari corridor is fascinating. In the 16th century, the Medici had two palaces either side of the river, so built an enclosed corridor above street level so they could go from one to the other without meeting any plebs who might kill them. 1km long.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Masnada abandon
  • blazing_saddles
    Fausto Masnada also out
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,686
    Wow, some serious attrition going on today.

Some of the stages have looked like an horrific grind. They are obviously beginning to take their effect.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,584
    Dog on lead casually allowed to walk into the middle of the bunch. I don't know what is in the heads of these people, even without the implications for the cyclists surely you'd be concerned about your pooch getting injured or killed.
  • Pross
    Beautiful climb.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    dish_dash said:

Also Mader abandon! I swear I changed my PTP selection before I found this out!

Arse
  • bobmcstuff

Been a mental start so far. Don't really understand why they haven't let anyone go.

Been working so not able to watch too closely, but who was doing the work to close it down - if it's teams that have missed out then there's your answer.
    Yeah, but there was a few times where there were pretty small groups up the road, found it hard to believe none of them would be OK
  • Pross
    My PTP pick is in the break but looks like he'll do too much defending his blue jersey so will probably go out the back after the final climb.
  • blazing_saddles
    Quite a few morons have turned up on this climb
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,735
    Yikes just tuned in and the peloton is about half the size.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I hope we get to see Ganna riding in a crosswinds stage someday
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    Blimey half the peloton now struggling and losing the bunch
  • Pross
    andyp said:

phreak said:

Looks like it's another tough day in the offing. I wonder if the other teams are hoping that Ineos' domestiques get burned out by all the work they're doing and leave Bernal isolated in the final week. Ganna in particular has been really active thus far and Moscon is currently sitting in 15th on GC so has been working hard too.

Ineos are very good at sharing the workload equitably between their domestiques. Ganna's role will change next week, as he'll be used much earlier in stages whereas the likes of Castroviejo, Narvaez and Moscon will be needed later. Martinez has been fairly anonymous thus far, he could be the key man for Bernal in the final week.
    Yeah, it's one of the things they do very well in GTs. That said, despite being anonymous Martinez is in 10th place and could well move up in the next few days if he doesn't really have to burn himself for Bernal. I assume he was one of the other Ineos riders in the front group with Bernal and Moscon.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    andyp said:

phreak said:

Looks like it's another tough day in the offing. I wonder if the other teams are hoping that Ineos' domestiques get burned out by all the work they're doing and leave Bernal isolated in the final week. Ganna in particular has been really active thus far and Moscon is currently sitting in 15th on GC so has been working hard too.

Ineos are very good at sharing the workload equitably between their domestiques. Ganna's role will change next week, as he'll be used much earlier in stages whereas the likes of Castroviejo, Narvaez and Moscon will be needed later. Martinez has been fairly anonymous thus far, he could be the key man for Bernal in the final week.
    He hasn't been anonymous in the sense that he's been in the grupetto with his feet up though. He was in the lead group yesterday, just hanging on for dear life and he's still in 10th on GC so I'd say he's been working pretty hard.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Whenever Ganna goes to work there's something about it that cracks me up. It's probably the way he almost always has the facial expression of a cheery vicar casually cycling to the church in a 1930s period drama.
  • Pross

Whenever Ganna goes to work there's something about it that cracks me up. It's probably the way he almost always has the facial expression of a cheery vicar casually cycling to the church in a 1930s period drama.

They just showed his stats and he's barely ticking over.

Time limit could be a factor today for some.
  • kingstongraham
    Still over 40km of climbing to go. Good thing tomorrow's a rest day.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Gap still going out very gently, isn't it? Feels like this stage is just marking time for now.
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268
    The weather looks disgusting on the other side of the mountain, could affect the descent. And no doubt the broadcasting of it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,735
    Ugh not a day you want bare legs
  • kingstongraham
    Impressive riding by Tesfatsion to get back to group 1
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    Whos going for team GC
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    De Bondt sprinted for the KOM but then knocked it off and let the jersey through right at the line - weird
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    Timid descent by ineos leading the peloton
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Looks like the peleton are having a bit of a breather after yesterday.