Giro 2021:- Stage 6: Grotte di Frasassi – Ascoli Piceno (S.Giacomo) 160 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    What I can't really get past is how long it took to hand over whatever it was. How underpowered does your car need to be to require the old sticky bottle trick?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

I could do with watching some sunshine soon though.

It's at a premium today.
    Thunderstorms in Wallonie and damp and dreech in Hungary.
    Summer in European countries are all on hold, waiting for Bojo to give them the green light.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464

It's at a premium today.
    Summer in European countries are all on hold, waiting for Bojo to give them the green light.
    It's clear blue sky here in East Yorkshire
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842

Dan Lloyd speculating that Bennett has lost too much weight in the run up to the Giro

I have a Good 8Kg+ I can donate since the pandemic, if that helps. :D:'(
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474
    gsk82 said:

It's at a premium today.
    I know the world has gone weird the past year or so but I'm not buying that.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

gsk82 said:

It's at a premium today.

There you go East Yorkshire you can just see the top of South Dalton church in the distance.
  • gsk82
    webboo said:

Pross said:

gsk82 said:

It's at a premium today.

There you go East Yorkshire you can just see the top of South Dalton church in the distance.
    And a lovely church it is too.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    Mitchelton's DS Gene Bates kicked off the race for driving into DQS' Pieter Serry today. The team are fined €2k too.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    bloody drongo!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    I wonder if the UCI will give him a two month ban as they did Bouhanni
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    Some more details about the Serry car crash. It seems that new rules forbid riders from returning rainwear to the team car. But they can hand it to the commissaire's car. At the time of the crash the commissaire was hand the jacket back car to car and the driver was presumably looking at that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,733
    webboo said:

Pross said:

gsk82 said:

It's at a premium today.

If someone was to nit pick then they'd point out the clouds in the clear blue sky.
    Not that I'd nit pick of course. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Ganna only managed to average 320 watts for the 4 hours 37 minutes of the stage!
    Lightweight.

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    Pross said:

Looking back at the car incident, it was lucky he got knocked so far forward or he could have ended up under the wheels.

Heard the driver of Bike Exchange car/Serry incident has been banned for the rest of the Giro – don't know if that means as driver, or a complete 'go-home' ban. Don't know if it was their DS, either
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    RichN95. said:

Some more details about the Serry car crash. It seems that new rules forbid riders from returning rainwear to the team car. But they can hand it to the commissaire's car. At the time of the crash the commissaire was hand the jacket back car to car and the driver was presumably looking at that.

The driver would be on the left though so regardless of what the passenger was receiving from the commissaire they should still have been looking ahead.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    Looked to me that there were 2 riders together in front of the car, the driver reached out, and presumably looked across, and didn't see the DQS rider drop back.

Stupid incident really
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    It's not a tremendous GC top ten.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

Pross said:

gsk82 said:

It's at a premium today.

If someone was to nit pick then they'd point out the clouds in the clear blue sky.
    By the time I took the photo it was early evening and the wind had blown the clouds in. First time I have ridden with bare arms this year. It’s gone to s*it now feels like winter again.
  • tailwindhome
    andyp said:

Mitchelton's DS Gene Bates kicked off the race for driving into DQS' Pieter Serry today. The team are fined €2k too.

Do they lose the car too.

(as in 1 less support vehicle in thr race)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    I don't believe so. They've been relegated to last position in the convoy for tomorrow's stage instead.
  • RichN95.
    jam1e said:

RichN95. said:

The driver would be on the left though so regardless of what the passenger was receiving from the commissaire they should still have been looking ahead.

It's a distraction though. The drivers have to line the cars up to make the exchange.
  • gsk82
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

Pross said:

gsk82 said:

It's at a premium today.

I was a few miles away in Beverley when I typed.
  • gsk82
    Does Simon Yates have a history of struggling in cold/wet weather?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

jam1e said:

RichN95. said:

It's a distraction though. The drivers have to line the cars up to make the exchange.
    Yeah even though the passenger was taking the jacket the driver would still have to be paying attention to the commisaire car to match the speeds.

Although of course, riders dropping from the group should still be on his mind...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    andyp said:

They losing the car or just the driver?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

RichN95. said:

jam1e said:

RichN95. said:

Yeah even though the passenger was taking the jacket the driver would still have to be paying attention to the commisaire car to match the speeds.

Although of course, riders dropping from the group should still be on his mind...
    You drive it you own it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome

RichN95. said:

jam1e said:

RichN95. said:

Completely forgot that driver is on the left and it's the passenger reaching out

Makes it even stupider

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

RichN95. said:

jam1e said:

RichN95. said:

Completely forgot that driver is on the left and it's the passenger reaching out

Makes it even stupider

Well you can understand why he would have been distracted, but it's still not really an excuse. They were hardly far behind the bunch.
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 said:

Does Simon Yates have a history of struggling in cold/wet weather?

I am not convinced that lead group has the final contenders for the podium
  • gsk82
    Me neither. Cold weather could be a big mitigating factor for some of those who weren't up front. I don't see anyone outside of today's top dozen being much of a factor though.