Giro 2021:- Stage 5: Modena – Cattolica 175 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

So, which Ineos rider will it be this time?

Sivakov, seems like the new Geraint.
    Right call, wrong day. 😉
    Probably even more like Geraint to crash on an seemingly innocuous day rather than yesterday when it was foul with wet descents.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Nothing particularly bad happened, bit of a squeeze in the bunch, had to move left, and the tree branches were lower than he was expecting. Clotheslined by them. Painful.

• commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268
    That really looked like a sore one.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

Not sure whether Sivakov is unlucky, a poor bike handler, or a combination of both.

Looked to me that a teammate inadvertently forced him to ride close to the road edge just where the bush grew over the road.

(Although it was different circumstances for Sivakov, untrimmed bushes along road edges are one of my pet peeves, I know a couple of roads, one lane in each direction, where they grow a good 2 ft over the roadway, so force a cyclist to ride more in the middle of a lane, which in turn causes conflicts with car drivers)
  • jimmyjams

Think Merlier may have had his rear mech knocked and then struggling to pedal - dropped chain?

What I thought too. And the rear mech accidentally knocked by Ewan.
  • jimmyjams
    Pross said:

Dombrowski finishing but looks like he may have done a collarbone. Bahrain finishing en bloc without Landa.

I'd guess more likely scaphoid or similar re Dombrowski; he probably would have held his arm differently if it is was the collarbone.
    Unsurprisingly, it's since been announced that Landa won't be there tomorrow.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Clip was a full 30 seconds long so it was inevitable that Hatch would repeat a sentence at least once (that is not good news...that is not good news)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Bahrain left their two stealth fighters, Bilbao and Caruso stay in the pack.
    So neither lost any time.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Sivakov confirmed out now by Ineos twitter, shoulder injury
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Catching up... an aside, the Breakaway post race on GCN / Eurosport player has/had Sean Kelly on it. First time I've seen him in years.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    jimmyjams said:

Not sure whether Sivakov is unlucky, a poor bike handler, or a combination of both.

Looked to me that a teammate inadvertently forced him to ride close to the road edge just where the bush grew over the road.

(Although it was different circumstances for Sivakov, untrimmed bushes
    Not a fan of an untrimmed bush myself!

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104

but the real problem is town centre sprint finishes and all the street furniture.

The financial model of this race, and most others, is to charge the finishing town to host the finish, so the local authority, understandably, wants to showcase the town, not an anonymous empty road on the outskirts. But the race organisers definitely need to push back urban finishing circuits like today and bring the race into the centre of town on the safest available route.
  • blazing_saddles
    Landa: a broken collarbone and 5 broken ribs as well.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    andyp said:

but the real problem is town centre sprint finishes and all the street furniture.

The financial model of this race, and most others, is to charge the finishing town to host the finish, so the local authority, understandably, wants to showcase the town, not an anonymous empty road on the outskirts. But the race organisers definitely need to push back urban finishing circuits like today and bring the race into the centre of town on the safest available route.

They also need to make the stage more testing. Everyone trundled along at 35kph for much of today, so when it got to the tricky bits full teams were going full gas battling for position
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,919

Landa: a broken collarbone and 5 broken ribs as well.

Ouch. Thanks for the update.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    edited May 2021
    Update on Dombrowski: nothing broken, but possible concussion so being assessed tonight and again in the morning.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Yeesh, Bad luck Pav, Dom & Mick...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jimmyjams
    ddraver said:

Yeesh, Bad luck Pav, Dom & Mick...

Bad Luck Francois (too).

Francois Bidard (Ag2r-Citroen) was also part of the Dombrowski incident, was the rider on the deck next to Landa, has a broken collarbone.
    He's finished 30-something-th in the last 4 Giro.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Leaving ric out the loop is getting to be the best bit of these finishes
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    edited May 2021
    Yeah I get very lost on these threads at the moment.

A “x wins” would be helpful. When skimming between Landa crash info I took “Ewan takes it” to be related to the crash in some way.

Ewan from Nizzolo after Merlier uncliped.

Like that was in between the crash chat so whilst scanning I thought they were caught up in it
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    orraloon said:

Catching up... an aside, the Breakaway post race on GCN / Eurosport player has/had Sean Kelly on it. First time I've seen him in years.

Don’t think he had put quite the same effort into his outfit as Orla though
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    edited May 2021

Yeah I get very lost on these threads at the moment.

A “x wins” would be helpful. When skimming between Landa crash info I took “Ewan takes it” to be related to the crash in some way.

Ewan from Nizzolo after Merlier uncliped.

Like that was in between the crash chat so whilst scanning I thought they were caught up in it
    Whilst I've criticised some spoiler threads where there have been cryptic comments about the result but no mention of the actual winner I'm not sure how:

"Ewan from Nizzolo after Merlier uncliped."

"Ewan takes it with Nizzolo getting yet another Giro second place."

Or

"Ewan from Nizzolo?

I wasn't sure he had come round but Hatch was."

Followed by

"Oh yeah, Ewan very clear from the overhead"

Can be seen as anything other than the result.
  • huret
    huret Posts: 62
    Roadside video of Landa crash. Doesn't sound like the marshall had a whistle.
    https://www.facebook.com/inbicimagazine/videos/5365159496892223/
    Savoie between the Glandon and the Madeleine.
  • blazing_saddles
    huret said:

I think he was more in need of a gun, than a whistle.
    Was it that man Molano again, who decided to switch sides at the very last second, with team mate, Dombrowski in his wheel?

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I do wonder if the marshall needs to be that far in front of the road furniture - I get that he's there to provide an advance warning but who provides the advance warning about the marshall stood in the road. With no whistle arguably he's just another obstacle to hit.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479

I do wonder if the marshall needs to be that far in front of the road furniture - I get that he's there to provide an advance warning but who provides the advance warning about the marshall stood in the road. With no whistle arguably he's just another obstacle to hit.

I don't think he's that far in front, only 2m or so and seems to be stood in the hatched road markings. It also looks like a fairly straight approach so there should have been plenty of warning. Just riders losing concentration momentarily at the end of a long, boring stage.
  • kingstongraham
    huret said:

Christ. He's not much more visible than the obstacle is he?

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    edited May 2021
    Perhaps putting him on a small platform behind the padded area would have made him more visible.
    But it's clear from the video it's the last second change from the 3 riders as mentioned above, that caused the carnage. Landa especially unfortunate, as he was a total passenger it seems.

Additionally or instead even, could they not utilise some of the flashing arrow type things they use for roadworks? - Hoist it\elevate it up high, and everyone would see it from distance, including team cars - who could radio the team.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

huret said:

Christ. He's not much more visible than the obstacle is he?

Poor clothing choices made there.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2021
    daniel_b said:

Perhaps putting him on a small platform behind the padded area would have made him more visible.
    But it's clear from the video it's the last second change from the 3 riders as mentioned above, that caused the carnage. Landa especially unfortunate, as he was a total passenger it seems.

Additionally, could they not utilise some of the flashing arrow type things they use for roadworks? - Hoist it\elevate it up high, and everyone would see it from distance.

La Flamme Rouge posted this yesterday as well. Nothing's 100% guaranteed to work but when they are definitely going to be at full concentration on what's happening immediately around them in the bunch at 60kmh+, the more advanced warning the better.