Giro 2021:- Stage 5: Modena – Cattolica 175 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    singleton said:

Maybe they’ll set a new record for highest average speed on a stage.

:D:D:D
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Didn't exactly catch what Dan Lloyd said (supposed to be watching a webinar), but apparently Sagan had averaged either 115 or 150 watts for the first part of the stage...

That's nothing! Really hardly anything. Most amateurs should have no issue with that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Thought they may have had enough of the break not taking it seriously but since catchingvthem they have shut the front down completely. Still talk about the wind, let's hope so or this could be one of the dullest GT stages I can recall, not even the best of scenery to make up for it.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,934

Didn't exactly catch what Dan Lloyd said (supposed to be watching a webinar), but apparently Sagan had averaged either 115 or 150 watts for the first part of the stage...

That's nothing! Really hardly anything. Most amateurs should have no issue with that.

They showed Dowsett's live data when he was on the front earlier - it looked like 170 - 250 watts!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005

Riding 1ft away from 6 other riders for 2h might be more of a challenge though.
  • Pross

It was 115. Ganna was at 110 for the first hour with the average being 35kph and Ganna's max speed in that period was 48kph (Sagan had been a bit faster and had hit over 700w at one point, not sure why, getting back after a toilet break maybe).
  • Well, this is exciting.
  • Pross
    Attila the Hun(garian) getting a lot of airtime today.
  • bobmcstuff
    Mad_Malx said:

Yeah, I guess that needs practice. Easier at 115 watts though compared to if you were on the limit (when obviously the mental load would be hard to deal with).

I wouldn't have thought someone with a bit of bunch riding experience would have a problem sitting on the back here though.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620

Mad_Malx said:

Yeah, I guess that needs practice. Easier at 115 watts though compared to if you were on the limit (when obviously the mental load would be hard to deal with).

I wouldn't have thought someone with a bit of bunch riding experience would have a problem sitting on the back here though.
    Sod that, at those wattages I reckon I'd fancy an attack!
  • Pross
    Bunch thinks something is about to happen. They've picked up to 55kph and the big teams are at the front.
  • Pross
    I'm wondering if the Tour of Hungary will be more exciting on the other channel.
  • bobmcstuff
    The second sprint is at 40kish, I guess it will get faster then
  • bobmcstuff
    There's been an attack! Pellaud again and a Bardiani rider
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Could have done with those military helicopters yesterday.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    Gougeard on a potato hunt
  • kingstongraham
    What happened there with the flag?
  • bobmcstuff
    Dunno, I went to take a dump. Came back and an EF rider was getting back on his bike.
  • kingstongraham
    There was a very tight left hand turn I saw the leaders go through, I guess the back of the peloton would have come to a halt.
  • kingstongraham
    Sivakov taken out by a tree stepping into his path.
  • bobmcstuff
    Sivakov got squeezed out to the side of the road and came off
  • Pross
    Sivakov really is taking his attempt to become the new Geraint very seriously. Telling that the team just left him to get on with it. He doesn't seem to be one of those riders that is keen to get back on his bike and keep racing after a crash.
  • kingstongraham
    Nobody dropping back to help Sivakov limit losses - they're all in for Bernal
  • bobmcstuff
    He looks a bit in pain
  • Pross
    Narvaez eventually drops back but gets told to go back to the bunch.
  • bobmcstuff
    Another crash - Lotto and Bardiani. On a 90 degree corner.
  • Pross
    Does anyone else get a cricket style chant of 'ooh ah Bardiani' in their head whenever the team gets mentioned?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,934
    Landa & Dombrowski down. Landa looking bad.
  • bobmcstuff
    Another one - 3 down including Dombrowski
  • Pross
    Three down including Dombrowski and Land. Outside 3k and Landa looking hurt.