Tony Blair

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,317

An interesting little snippet!
    Of the £646k spent on THE flat in Downing Street since 1997 more than £410k of that was lavished during the decade of occupancy of..........you guessed it; one Tony Blair.

That's £410k adjusted for inflation to today's money, or £285k spent over a decade, with the highest amount actually spent in one year being £48,336.

Nobody had redecorated since the 60s until they moved in apparently.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,944

He was, later, but not when he occupied the flat.

Of course
    Stop being so agreeable

He quoted a “specific media source” the only checkable part of which was completely and utterly wrong
    From what I've read, which I think was the indy, the two Labour PMs spent the budget every year. Cameron went over on year one (but paid the remainder himself) and was then frugal, and May spent very very little.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,952

Of course
    Stop being so agreeable

He quoted a “specific media source” the only checkable part of which was completely and utterly wrong
    Sorry, you're right.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Jezyboy said:

Of course
    Stop being so agreeable

From what I've read, which I think was the indy, the two Labour PMs spent the budget every year. Cameron went over on year one (but paid the remainder himself) and was then frugal, and May spent very very little.

Gordon Brown spent no money because he was a frugal bachelor.

Is that the Gordon Brown who was PM 2007-10
    Is that the Gordon Brown who was married in 2000
    Or was that the Gordon Brown who had three kids by 2007

I am going to assume the rest of the article and every “fact” in it is bollox
  • Those are the published facts, which I am happy to retract if found to be false.
    The amounts, as far as I can tell, relate purely to (re) decoration costs, are in the public domain and completely checkable so it remains to be seen if lawsuits are forthcoming in relation to those amounts.
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

Not seen any of the numbers but the numbers are potentially meaningless.
    It’s an old property and could have undergone structural work at some point.
    If all these figures are solely on internal decoration and furnishings then the whole thing is a scandal but I somehow doubt it.

I suspect the IT infrastructure alone has been updated massively with high security since 1997 when the public internet use was still in its toddler years.

They get £30k a year from government for renovations and repairs.
    It's a large Grade I listed house. The frontage you see on TV is just a small part.

From what I can see of the floor plans, I doubt £30k would cover more than a new coat of paint even on just the upstairs flat. The problem isn't how much was spent, but how the money was obtained, and that the loan wasn't declared.

18 carat gold paint
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

If all these figures are solely on internal decoration and furnishings then the whole thing is a scandal but I somehow doubt it.

I suspect the IT infrastructure alone has been updated massively with high security since 1997 when the public internet use was still in its toddler years.

I get that but major updates to an old building could easily exceed £30k

My little house is due for major renovations and I could easily blow way more than 30k

That was my point. If the property needs major investment, £30k ain’t cutting it.
    Who said anything about major updates. This was £200k to decorate and furnish by all accounts. And this is per year!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Those are the published facts, which I am happy to retract if found to be false.
    The amounts, as far as I can tell, relate purely to (re) decoration costs, are in the public domain and completely checkable so it remains to be seen if lawsuits are forthcoming in relation to those amounts.

Does it not concern you at all that the article is written by somebody who could be so monumentally wrong about Gordon Brown? Why are you so confident that he is more accurate with the difficult stuff?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,864
    edited May 2021
    "A friend of hers told the Daily Mail: "The makeover is appropriate for a building of such huge importance. Carrie has exquisite taste." Bzzzzzzt.

She's with BJ.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I rest my case!
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2
  • kingstongraham

I rest my case!

Which is?
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2021
    (One for the other thread.)
  • The 'facts' that I provided are from a different source to Sky news but corroborated.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,727
    So now, if the past and current PMs can blow those figures on a flat, just how much did/do they spaff up the wall on the 'country retreat' Chequers?

Comienza la revolución.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,960
    So what happens to all the 'stuff' bought at our expense when the next refurb happens?
    Surely things like beds should come out of the PM's own pocket.
    I'm sure we'd all love to have £30k pa to maintain our own homes.

I doubt any structural repairs to the building comes out of this allowance.
  • kingstongraham

The 'facts' that I provided are from a different source to Sky news but corroborated.

Apart from the numbers being inflation adjusted, and excluding what Johnson has done.
  • Structural repairs are not included, the figures are only for decoration and/or furnishings.
  • kingstongraham
    Do you know who paid for it when Blair went over the allowance?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,864
    edited May 2021

So what happens to all the 'stuff' bought at our expense when the next refurb happens?
    Surely things like beds should come out of the PM's own pocket.
    I'm sure we'd all love to have £30k pa to maintain our own homes.

I doubt any structural repairs to the building comes out of this allowance.

As I said before this is a workplace and should be treated as such.
    It is not their personal home to be decorated on a whim. Should being the key word.

I also advocated an MP's hotel instead of personal house allowances. You know like how businesses operate.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I will concede that the figures are 'inflation adjusted' but that does not detract from the fact that a certain T. Blair filled his boots at the taxpayers expense as have subsequent PM's.
  • As regards, Blair's overspend perhaps the Press were not as interested then as they are now so it may not have been covered. I do not know who paid for the overspend.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    elbowloh said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

My little house is due for major renovations and I could easily blow way more than 30k

That was my point. If the property needs major investment, £30k ain’t cutting it.
    Who said anything about major updates. This was £200k to decorate and furnish by all accounts. And this is per year!
    My point is now spread across multiple post so I’ll clarify and then comment no further.

The ~£600K since Blair moved in was mentioned as a way to suggest that they’ve all been blowing loads of money on the apartment.

I merely questioned whether all of that was solely cosmetic decoration or whether it included more substantial renovations to a very old property. If the latter, the spend isn’t excessive.

We know Boris has spent a lot solely on cosmetic decoration. He may just be following others or people may be excusing him with irrelevant statistics. I don’t know and don’t care enough to find out. I have a pretty clear idea of what Boris is.

• kingstongraham

As regards, Blair's overspend perhaps the Press were not as interested then as they are now so it may not have been covered. I do not know who paid for the overspend.

Blair did.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,049

As regards, Blair's overspend perhaps the Press were not as interested then as they are now so it may not have been covered. I do not know who paid for the overspend.

Well, they were pretty interested in 2005 on how much he spent on cosmetics... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1494753/Blairs-make-up-bill-runs-to-1800.html (sorry can't get past the paywall), and rehashed in 2020 by The Express: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1282753/tony-blair-news-downing-street-expenses-parliament-cosmetic-costs-spt

Obviously that's more important in 2020 to the Express than Spaffer's £200k...
  • elbowloh
    What is the cost p/a that the occupants lived there?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,758
    elbowloh said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

I realise some are struggling to grasp this, but £200k really isn't that much to refurbish and refurnished a decent sized flat at that sort of level.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    edited May 2021
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

I realise some are struggling to grasp this, but £200k really isn't that much to refurbish and refurnished a decent sized flat at that sort of level.
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

It really is. Look how much every other PM spent apart from Blair

Plus, it didn't need refurbishing.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

Clearly it's about right for a refurb "at that level". But he can't afford that level.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,817
    elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

morstar said:

It really is. Look how much every other PM spent apart from Blair

Plus, it didn't need refurbishing.
    The argument isn’t really about the cost per se.

It’s more he gets what seems to be a not unreasonable 30 odd grand a year for upkeep.

Anything above that you pay yourself. Fine - Cameron did, Blair did.

It’s more, if he claims he can’t afford it, why is he breaking rules to take money from other people to do it?

Either you can afford if and you do if or you don’t and you don’t.

What does it say about his approach to governance?

Whatever the explanation, and you can imagine a few ways to cut it, he comes out badly.

We shouldn’t lose sight that the bigger scandal by far are the billions pandemic contracts to mates wholly unsuited to the work which then got in the way of legitimate contracts *in the middle of a pandemic*