Tony Blair

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

I would like to swap my pension pot for an index-linked annuity. The problem is that even with the maximum of £1m in the pot, the income is still pretty low. That ignores how challenging it is to earn enough to get to £1m with all the tax rules currently in place

How long would they expect a 60 year old non smoking male to live on average?

Depends on how old he is now and postcode.

Move to the west end of Glasgow before asking for a quote
    A 60 year old is about 60 years old. And an average would be an average of postcodes.

This says a 60 year old male would expect to live on average to 85.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/articles/lifeexpectancycalculator/2019-06-07
    Sorry, did not know you were 60

Strangely I put 54 into that website and it reckons I will be dead at 84 so missing out on a year.
  • surrey_commuter

I mean I have no idea even what genre of index an annuity would be linked to.

RPI. is being abolished so would be CPI or CPIH
    Just a point of correction on this. It isn't. RPI will adopt the methodology of CPIH from 2030, but will still be published. I believe some of the variants such as RPIX may be abolished. This is significant, because most contracts that reference RPI (e.g. gilts) will have clauses that trigger if it is no longer published, but if the methodology changes, they won't.

I take your point but the courts will have their say and the markets are not assuming it is going to happen
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247

I would like to swap my pension pot for an index-linked annuity. The problem is that even with the maximum of £1m in the pot, the income is still pretty low. That ignores how challenging it is to earn enough to get to £1m with all the tax rules currently in place

A 60 year old is about 60 years old. And an average would be an average of postcodes.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/articles/lifeexpectancycalculator/2019-06-07

Strangely I put 54 into that website and it reckons I will be dead at 84 so missing out on a year.
    I'm not 60. I didn't ask how long I would live.

Gives 82 for me - intuitively feels wrong, but makes sense because I've got to get through 10 more years and all the chances to die that they present.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

Gives 82 for me - intuitively feels wrong, but makes sense because I've got to get through 10 more years and all the chances to die that they present.
    Gives me 85 at 35. Obviously it's not going on much data, just your age and sex. You'd hope we'll do a bit better.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • surrey_commuter

those calculations all assume that you reach 60

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    BigBean - a £1m pot is unlikely to get 10x the income of a £100k pot, it is likely to be lower due to the risk to the insurer.

Most people underestimate their longevity. A 65 yo has a 1 in 4 chance of living to 100. Currently the life expectancy for at age 65 for a male in England is 18.76 years (i.e. until they are 83.76) and for a female it is 21.14 years (i.e. until they are 86.14) (source:ONS, September 2019) . Life expectancy has risen by roughly 3 months for each year since the end of WW2.

Escalating annuities are very expensive in comparison to a level annuity. A very recent example for a 66 yo - it would take over 15 years before the increasing income matched the level income and into the 29th year for the total income to match.

All annuities are postcode rated now, and many will have some form of health and lifestyle 'underwriting' too. How you shape the annuity to your situation and needs will also impact the rate.

I wouldn't hold too much store by the age at death predictors.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    elbowloh said:

The current average UK retirement pot is currently just under £62k...

I am always staggered by wealth-related averages.

I guess one always feels relatively poor, despite the evidence to the contrary.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620

Escalating annuities are very expensive in comparison to a level annuity. A very recent example for a 66 yo - it would take over 15 years before the increasing income matched the level income and into the 29th year for the total income to match.

That depends on your inflation assumption. If you used the one implied by the market, you should get the same answer.

If there is a chance you could live for 30+ years, then it seems to me to be foolish to not inflation link it.

• Dorset_Boy
    edited April 2021

That depends on your inflation assumption. If you used the one implied by the market, you should get the same answer.

If there is a chance you could live for 30+ years, then it seems to me to be foolish to not inflation link it.

I should have said that was 3% pa fixed escalation vs level as a true comparison can then be made.
    Last time I looked, RPI linked were even more expensive (ie lower starting income).

If you are looking at inflation proofing your pension over 30 years, and are happy with the lower income for the first 15 years or so, then you are probably better accepting some investment risk and having a properly managed portfolio through a drawdown arrangement. That will give flexibility too to alter the income to suit your needs - eg higher income until State Pension kicks in, then lower drawdowns thereafter etc. Also the death benefits pre-75 are exceptional, and pretty good thereafter.

Do also bear in mind that annuities are a useful tool for insurers to draw capital into their business. The likes of L&G use it to offset liabilities in other parts of their business such as group life cover. so they may play around with rates at different times to make themselves more or less attractive. Also different companies will have differing views on the impact of health and lifestyle conditions.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

elbowloh said:

• TheBigBean

I should have said that was 3% pa fixed escalation vs level as a true comparison can then be made.
    Last time I looked, RPI linked were even more expensive (ie lower starting income).

If you are looking at inflation proofing your pension over 30 years, and are happy with the lower income for the first 15 years or so, then you are probably better accepting some investment risk and having a properly managed portfolio through a drawdown arrangement. That will give flexibility too to alter the income to suit your needs - eg higher income until State Pension kicks in, then lower drawdowns thereafter etc. Also the death benefits pre-75 are exceptional, and pretty good thereafter.

Do also bear in mind that annuities are a useful tool for insurers to draw capital into their business. The likes of L&G use it to offset liabilities in other parts of their business such as group life cover. so they may play around with rates at different times to make themselves more or less attractive. Also different companies will have differing views on the impact of health and lifestyle conditions.
    Yes, the market implied inflation rate is above 3%, so it would provide for a lower starting income. Some people argue that the demand for inflation products suppresses the price, and therefore index-linked gilts imply more inflation than it happen, but I am unsure about this argument.

Personally, I would prefer index-linked to managed or market risk, but that is a personal choice based on the certainty I want when old.
  • surrey_commuter

elbowloh said:

Average wage is £26k so if you assume half are under that number then state pension plus a few grand is a decent % of what they were previously earning
  • shirley_basso
    edited April 2021
    hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

Disposable income is a fallacy!

I'd be interested to know how it is calculated.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    pangolin said:

Gives me 85 at 35. Obviously it's not going on much data, just your age and sex. You'd hope we'll do a bit better.
    Mate, we ain't retiring until we're at least 75...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Disposable income spent on phalluses!

Tee hee
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Dorset_Boy

elbowloh said:

Average wage is £26k so if you assume half are under that number then state pension plus a few grand is a decent % of what they were previously earning
    With quite a few low earners they actually get a 'pay rise' when they retire and their State Pension and other pensions kick in.

• TheBigBean
    Not relevant to Blair, but you should really be able to get index-linked mortgages. Would work well except that it would be considered too complicated for consumers.
  • pangolin
    ddraver said:

pangolin said:

Oh don't worry I'm not banking on early retirement. My mortgage would go until 70 if I wasn't making over payments.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • hopkinb

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

I know what you mean.

For this table (published by the ONS) it is as simple as earnings and other income after tax/NI.

So you might have the median household "disposable income" of £30k, but essential housing/food/power & water/basic clothing/transport outgoings of £29k. Pretty hard if not impossible to build up a pension pot in those circumstances unless your employer gives you a decent contribution.
  • hopkinb
    I'm still not sure why we aren't discussing Tony's hair more.
  • surrey_commuter
    pangolin said:

ddraver said:

pangolin said:

Oh don't worry I'm not banking on early retirement. My mortgage would go until 70 if I wasn't making over payments.
    I know it is not for everybody but with interest rates so low I stopped overpaying and put money into ISAs and will let that outgrow the rate of interest.

Alternative put it in your pension and take a lump sum to pay off the mortgage that way the Govt will pay 40% of it for you.

NB: I totally get the alternative arguments about safety and peace of mind
  • elbowloh
    pangolin said:

ddraver said:

pangolin said:

My mortgage goes till i'm 67. Have to start thinking about overpayments soon
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

pangolin said:

ddraver said:

pangolin said:

I know it is not for everybody but with interest rates so low I stopped overpaying and put money into ISAs and will let that outgrow the rate of interest.

Alternative put it in your pension and take a lump sum to pay off the mortgage that way the Govt will pay 40% of it for you.

That did come across my mind yesterday when i was thinking about my pension, prompted by this thread.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

ddraver said:

pangolin said:

Definitely thought about it, I'm not overpaying a great deal but it knocks 10 years off. Mortgage is at 2% and can't see any cash ISAs better than that. Any good stocks and shares ISA recommendations?

Was looking around for savings accounts for the kids yesterday too, our current one is with co-op who have reduced it to 0.00001% or thereabouts.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

ddraver said:

pangolin said:

Definitely thought about it, I'm not overpaying a great deal but it knocks 10 years off. Mortgage is at 2% and can't see any cash ISAs better than that. Any good stocks and shares ISA recommendations?

Was looking around for savings accounts for the kids yesterday too, our current one is with co-op who have reduced it to 0.00001% or thereabouts.
    One steady stock is National Grid. Should be future proof with everything going electric. Unless it is privatised... This is not financial advice, your balance can go down as well as up, speak to an authorised financial advisor, yada yada yada....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

ddraver said:

pangolin said:

One steady stock is National Grid. Should be future proof with everything going electric. Unless it is privatised... This is not financial advice, your balance can go down as well as up, speak to an authorised financial advisor, yada yada yada....
    I suppose I mean funds/providers rather than specific stocks. I'd probably just get myself in trouble picking stocks out...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

ddraver said:

pangolin said:

I suppose I mean funds/providers rather than specific stocks. I'd probably just get myself in trouble picking stocks out...
    Fair enough. I do use a financial advisor for the big stuff but pick some smaller stuff myself for fun/interest as cash savings are losing money at the moment. Saves on the fees too. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    hopkinb said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

I know what you mean.

For this table (published by the ONS) it is as simple as earnings and other income after tax/NI.

So you might have the median household "disposable income" of £30k, but essential housing/food/power & water/basic clothing/transport outgoings of £29k. Pretty hard if not impossible to build up a pension pot in those circumstances unless your employer gives you a decent contribution.
    At least deduct mortgage/ rental costs + a proportionate amount for utilities + food.

To me - disposable is what's left over after that.

• surrey_commuter
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

ddraver said:

pangolin said:

you are correct to not put it all in one stock

I am a huge beliver in low fees so a big fan of Vanguard who charge about 0.2% inc platform fees. You can have a global tracker of 100% shares or 80/20, 60,40 etc of shares/bonds

can also put it in a fund that switches into bonds as you get closer to your chosen maturity date.
  • shirley_basso
    Vanguard also does well on returns. I have a life strategy accumulation 100% and it does quite well.

For someone in banking and finance I know SFA about stocks and shares. My 'picked' portfolio is down about 20%