Tony Blair

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Not a chance.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    elbowloh said:

The online guides say to aim for 60-70% of your working income in retirement.

If those are gross numbers then I am in the ballpark
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,635
    All depends on your income and lifestyle surely?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,831

Hopefully. State pension puts me at about 20% take home. Should be plenty if I emigrate to Bulgaria.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited April 2021

At a guess a higher income = a more lavish lifestyle, unless you save it all, in which case you're fine anyway.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,208

elbowloh said:

Surely entirely dependent on whether you are planning to be retired for ~15 years or 30. And the further forward you bring retirement the less time to build up the pension in the first place. Or am I missing something?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,671

Hopefully. State pension puts me at about 20% take home. Should be plenty if I emigrate to Bulgaria.
    SHHHH!!!!!! If you shout about it they'll all want to come!

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

Surely entirely dependent on whether you are planning to be retired for ~15 years or 30. And the further forward you bring retirement the less time to build up the pension in the first place. Or am I missing something?
    Irrelevant if you are working out what you need to have the same lifestyle.

To keep the maths easy if you earn £100k after tax, NI and pension contributions you will have £5k a month. Assume £2k goes on mortgage, work expenses and kids and you have £3k a month. By my reckoning in retirement you only need £42k
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424
    This may be useful for your calculations:
    https://thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php
  • rjsterry
    edited April 2021

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

To keep the maths easy if you earn £100k after tax, NI and pension contributions you will have £5k a month. Assume £2k goes on mortgage, work expenses and kids and you have £3k a month. By my reckoning in retirement you only need £42k
    We're talking about two different things. The amount you plan to spend each year of retirement versus the total amount you need to save to fund that over the entire period of retirement.

£42k a year for 35 years of retirement will need more saving than £42k a year for 20 years, no?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

We're talking about two different things. The amount you plan to spend each year of retirement versus the total amount you need to save to fund that over the entire period of retirement.

£42k a year for 35 years of retirement will need more saving than £42k a year for 20 years, no?
    Surely your maths is the wrong way round and you save for 35 years to pay for 20 years retirement.

But if your 20 years were early in the career then yes it would provide more than enough
  • rjsterry
    edited April 2021

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

Surely your maths is the wrong way round and you save for 35 years to pay for 20 years retirement.

But if your 20 years were early in the career then yes it would provide more than enough
    Eh? Regardless of what figure you need per year to live on, if you start earning in earnest at 20, retire at 55, and live to 90 (a decent age, but far from unheard of and assuming you're not planning on spending your last pennies on the funeral), that's 30 years of earnings to fund 35 years of retirement.

That's quite different from earning until you are 70 with 20 years of retirement. An extra 15 years of savings and growth, and 15 fewer years of spending that larger pot.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    I would like to swap my pension pot for an index-linked annuity. The problem is that even with the maximum of £1m in the pot, the income is still pretty low. That ignores how challenging it is to earn enough to get to £1m with all the tax rules currently in place
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

I would like to swap my pension pot for an index-linked annuity. The problem is that even with the maximum of £1m in the pot, the income is still pretty low. That ignores how challenging it is to earn enough to get to £1m with all the tax rules currently in place

Which index?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865

How long would they expect a 60 year old non smoking male to live on average?
  • TheBigBean

Which index?
    I don't mind. I don't need a perfect hedge.
  • rick_chasey
    I mean I have no idea even what genre of index an annuity would be linked to.
  • surrey_commuter

RPI. is being abolished so would be CPI or CPIH
  • TheBigBean
    edited April 2021

Here is some data based on £100k. So a £1m fund would get 10 times.

• kingstongraham

So if you could reliably invest at an annual increase of RPI + 0%, you would need to live to 107 to come out better with that annuity at 60 years old? How does that match to life expectancy?
  • TheBigBean
    edited April 2021

So if you could reliably invest at an annual increase of RPI + 0%, you would need to live to 107 to come out better with that annuity at 60 years old? How does that match to life expectancy?
    You can't invest at RPI. You would need to discount it significantly. For example, the 2032 index linked gilt has a gross redemption yield of -2.49%.

• rick_chasey

Inflation gotcha
  • kingstongraham

You can't invest at RPI. You would need to discount it significantly. For example, the 2032 index linked gilt has a gross redemption yield of -2.49%.

That means you can't invest risk free at RPI, but yes, makes sense. How does any of it match to life expectancy figures?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited April 2021
    The current average UK retirement pot is currently just under £62k...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter

Man up and put it in a mixed fund if you get 7% you can allow 3% for inflation and drawdown 4% a year. When you die you will have £2m for others to inherit.
  • surrey_commuter

Depends on how old he is now and postcode.

Move to the west end of Glasgow before asking for a quote
  • TheBigBean

That means you can't invest risk free at RPI, but yes, makes sense. How does any of it match to life expectancy figures?
    You can invest risk free at RPI, but it will cost you more to do so than you are factoring in in your calculations.

Given the current yield curve, I would have thought that the breakeven on annuities is only slightly shorter than life expectancy, but I don't have that info.
  • kingstongraham

Depends on how old he is now and postcode.

Move to the west end of Glasgow before asking for a quote
    A 60 year old is about 60 years old. And an average would be an average of postcodes.

This says a 60 year old male would expect to live on average to 85.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/articles/lifeexpectancycalculator/2019-06-07
  • TheBigBean

Just a point of correction on this. It isn't. RPI will adopt the methodology of CPIH from 2030, but will still be published. I believe some of the variants such as RPIX may be abolished. This is significant, because most contracts that reference RPI (e.g. gilts) will have clauses that trigger if it is no longer published, but if the methodology changes, they won't.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065

That's more or less what I was quoted and why I will be going with drawdown. I don't expect to live to 110 and using my Dad as a guide spending reduces drastically at around 85.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.