wednesday is not what it says, but what it means

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    tetley10 said:

johngti said:

Of course, if my ex drops off the mortal coil before that then it’ll instantly double to a whopping £2800 pa plus £9k lump sum. Hmmm. Wow.

Is she not under the patio?

Have you tried to get anyone to work on your house at the moment? 😂
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Just catching up here

Seems like congrats LD!

The only advice/opinion I have is that now this is your time - do exactly what you want, to please you.

A degree in flower arranging? Boom - get in.

A job in a bike shop? Why not.

Friend of mine did 26 years in the Marines, 10 years banking, now pootles around in a bike shop, happy as Larry.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MattFalle said:

Just catching up here

Seems like congrats LD!

The only advice/opinion I have is that now this is your time - do exactly what you want, to please you.

Friend of mine did 26 years in the Marines, 10 years banking, now pootles around in a bike shop, happy as Larry.

If I could make it pay enough, I’d love to set up an old school record shop that also sells guitars etc with a cafe and a small recording studio in the back to help out local young bands. I’d call it the hit shed.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    johngti said:

If I could make it pay enough, I’d love to set up an old school record shop that also sells guitars etc with a cafe and a small recording studio in the back to help out local young bands. I’d call it the hit shed.

No prizes for guessing what everyone else would call it...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    nibnob21 said:

johngti said:

I think it would attract a lot of graffiti.
    Like the Carousal Cafe that got vandalised so often the new owner just embraced it.
  • johngti
    nibnob21 said:

johngti said:

Yes. That was the point.
  • nibnob21
    johngti said:

nibnob21 said:

johngti said:

Yes. That was the point.
    I know that was the point and I know that you know that was the point. I don't know if you know that I know that was the point though.
  • nibnob21
    I'm guessing I would be the sort of pupil that makes you want to retire johngti and setup said record shop.
  • johngti
    nibnob21 said:

I'm guessing I would be the sort of pupil that makes you want to retire johngti and setup said record shop.

Nah, you’d be fine. I like the difficult kids and they usually (begrudgingly) end up liking me too.
  • MattFalle
    edited April 2021
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

Just catching up here

Seems like congrats LD!

i like the sound of that (no pun intended) very much so, see.

years and years ago before it all got trendy, i wanted to set up "Bici e Libri - we're more than just a bicycle bookshop"

one third bikes
    one third bookshop
    one third cafe - everything made in the shop in front of you.

i'd make up prices as I went along - if you were tranquillo, 50p for a coffee, if you were a nobber clubbie/banker - you know, the overly noisy braying type - then £3 a coffee.

Big comfy armchairs in the bookshop, local DJs spinning tunes all day, part of profits to charity, give apprentice bakers/etc a helping hand.
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

Just catching up here

Seems like congrats LD!

i like the sound of that (no pun intended) very much so, see.

years and years ago before it all got trendy, i wanted to set up "Bici e Libri - we're more than just a bicycle bookshop"

one third bikes
    one third bookshop
    one third cafe - everything made in the shop in front of you.

i'd make up prices as I went along - if you were tranquillo, 50p for a coffee, if you were a nobber clubbie/banker - you know, the overly noisy braying type - then £3 a coffee.

Big comfy armchairs in the bookshop, local DJs spinning tunes all day, part of profits to charity, give apprentice bakers/etc a helping hand.
    Now you’ve made me wish there was a place like that near here. I’d be there all the time.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

Just catching up here

Seems like congrats LD!

You should be setting up a bike shop and doing the mechanics.
  • MattFalle
    it had a lot of potential - we could pop it next to the Hit Shed.

We'd have to have separate themes for the cafes but I reckon it would work.
  • johngti
    tetley10 said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

Just catching up here

Seems like congrats LD!

I’d probably stop enjoying it if I did it full time (not even you could give me enough to do for that!). And music was my first love - wish I was still playing live.
  • MattFalle
    Evening licence but only for the tranquillos.

Huuuuge plates of fresh salami e formaggi knocking around, loaves of pane Italiana fresh from the bakery with bowls of olive oil from my place in Italy and balsamic vinegar.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

Just catching up here

Seems like congrats LD!

Similar, I often dream of just having a bike cafe that also has a workshop - do some in house repairs, but also had area with some tools that customers can use.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    Problem is there are brazilians of bike themed cafes around no so you need a USP..... bookshop/bikes/guitars/DJs/smiles/laughs/nothing taken seriously at all.

This time next year Rodney....
  • elbowloh
    hopkinb said:

Just lost a minion again..35% increase in pay to go to a fintech. She's young and sparky. She's going to feed logic and knowledge to app developers to help small businesses have a bank account that also does their VAT compliance. It's the future.

So she's got a trade to fall back on aswell? Awesome.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

Problem is there are brazilians of bike themed cafes around no so you need a USP..... bookshop/bikes/guitars/DJs/smiles/laughs/nothing taken seriously at all.

Man, I’d love that. Deffo relaxed, everyone welcome, just make a decent living.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    johngti said:

tetley10 said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

Just catching up here

Seems like congrats LD!

I’d probably stop enjoying it if I did it full time (not even you could give me enough to do for that!). And music was my first love - wish I was still playing live.
    'Live'? Who with?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    MattFalle said:

Smack?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    Yup - agree 100%.

Making enough to be v comfortable - ie if I want a new set of tubs, I'll buy them, not have to justify them - no need for Rolexes and Rangeys and being a Dynamo. Funk that.

I want to be around happy, cool, funky people having a laugh, working hard, chillin' at the end of the day with tunes, vino rosso and prosciutto crudo..
  • johngti
    pinno said:

johngti said:

tetley10 said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

Just catching up here

Seems like congrats LD!

'Live'? Who with?
    Nobody famous. Me and a mate started a band, recruited a singer and drummer and played out a lot. Fair few gigs in town, biggest at a venue in Brixton to about 700 people. Mostly our own original stuff with the odd cover chucked in.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    When i win the lottery on Friday I reckon I could make this happen. I don't want to be the boss though.
  • MattFalle
    So ypu're like famous?

Breakdancing horses AND a musical celebrity both in one day.

And they dare say BB is fullofshit
  • elbowloh
    tetley10 said:

When i win the lottery on Friday I reckon I could make this happen. I don't want to be the boss though.

Yeah, totally.

Same with me. I'm going to win the lottery, buy the cafe and get someone else to manage it.

I'll just pop in, hang out, tinker with some bikes, drink coffee, eat cake and be "mr cool boss".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

So ypu're like famous?

Breakdancing horses AND a musical celebrity both in one day.

And they dare say BB is fullofshit

Deffo not famous except for one occasion when, as I was leaving a pub after post-work drinks, a young person came over and asked if I was the guitarist in the vetoes (for that is what we were called). Just that one incident showed how lovely yet scary it must be to be famous.
  • johngti
    tetley10 said:

I’m in.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    elbowloh said:

tetley10 said:

Yeah, totally.

Same with me. I'm going to win the lottery, buy the cafe and get someone else to manage it.

I'll just pop in, hang out, tinker with some bikes, drink coffee, eat cake and be "mr cool boss".
    I can’t believe people who think they are going to actually win the lottery! Completely delusional 😕

I’m going to win the lottery this Friday, not you! 😝
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

tetley10 said:

I’m in.
    me as well.

it'll be mega.