wednesday is not what it says, but what it means

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I was furloughed for 2 months and spent the time with my little boy (was 12-13 months at the time). I took him out almost every day for walks in the country and picnics etc. Was brilliant and would never have had that time with him if I had been working.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,358
    johngti said:

... the next 15 years!

You'll not last.

@seanoconn : fcuk off.

I am not retired anyways. I work part time. Anyway, it's a (full time) job being me.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited April 2021
    seanoconn said:

The local milkman retired recently after 45 years in the job. He was dead inside two months. Must have been a shock to the system, no routine or reason to get out of bed.

Ah bu gger

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

The local milkman retired recently after 45 years in the job. He was dead inside two months. Must have been a shock to the system, no routine or reason to get out of bed.

It does make you wondered how many oldies in BB would fall off their perch if the had nothing to do/felt useless.

Pinno and Wheelspinner must be clinging onto their perches by their fingernails/claws.
    Nope, best thing I ever did.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • elbowloh
    From what is posted on here, Wheelspinner works harder in his retirement than i do in my full-time job...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,527
    seanoconn said:

Lack of sh@gging?

https://youtu.be/LEipG31iAC4
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2021
    pinno said:

johngti said:

... the next 15 years!

You'll not last.

I am not retired anyways. I work part time. Anyway, it's a (full time) job being me.

Since when did spannering old cars and building stuff with lego count as work? ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    elbowloh said:

I was furloughed for 2 months and spent the time with my little boy (was 12-13 months at the time). I took him out almost every day for walks in the country and picnics etc. Was brilliant and would never have had that time with him if I had been working.

I negotiated 8 weeks "gardening leave" after taking voluntary from my previous job (having already got a new one in the bag the day before and having been there 15 years meant a year's salary was my goodbye - luckiest b@stard timing ever). It coincided with school summer hols (mini was 8, and the boy was just 12/13 - before he got all adolescent on us), it was amazing - a real wrench to have to go back to work. A miraculously hot week in Devon, then day trips and general mucking about, then 3 weeks "backpacking" in Andalucia. I suppose you don't appreciate the good, if you don't intersperse it with the mundane and the downright annoying, sprinkled with some genuinely interesting work.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

... the next 15 years!

You'll not last.

Since when did spannering old cars and building stuff with lego count as work? ;)
    General chores and home schooling toots (being in the house while they have live lessons with the teacher) count as work apparently 😕
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    pinno said:

johngti said:

... the next 15 years!

You'll not last.

No choice but to get as close as possible :(

I can get about £1400 pa from 60 but that’s it. State pension and the rest of the teacher’s pension won’t kick in until 67 so absolutely booger all chance of surviving on the meagre amount I’ll get.
  • johngti
    Of course, if my ex drops off the mortal coil before that then it’ll instantly double to a whopping £2800 pa plus £9k lump sum. Hmmm. Wow.
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

😁
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

Super stuff. :) A large part of me hopes tlw hasn't over-refreshed himself with apple-based rehydration fluid and passed out in the sex pond...
  • elbowloh
    hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

I negotiated 8 weeks "gardening leave" after taking voluntary from my previous job (having already got a new one in the bag the day before and having been there 15 years meant a year's salary was my goodbye - luckiest b@stard timing ever). It coincided with school summer hols (mini was 8, and the boy was just 12/13 - before he got all adolescent on us), it was amazing - a real wrench to have to go back to work. A miraculously hot week in Devon, then day trips and general mucking about, then 3 weeks "backpacking" in Andalucia. I suppose you don't appreciate the good, if you don't intersperse it with the mundane and the downright annoying, sprinkled with some genuinely interesting work.
    My first redundancy coincided with a trip booked for Portugal Euro 2004, had an interview for a job before i flew, got a phone call to say i got the job whilst i was away and started a little bit after I got back. the money leftover served as the deposit for my first flat.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    elbowloh said:

Sounds perfect.
    I know some people at work asked to be furloughed because they had children they couldn't send to childminders or relatives but I think it probably worked out really well for a lot of them.
  • thistle_
    seanoconn said:

Haven’t you got a bike to be fixing!?

Yeah but riding it fast in the sunshine on smooth, quiet twisty lanes is more important.
    Found something else wrong with it now anyway so can fix both at once.
  • pinno
    Did you sort that dodgy rear mech?
  • pinno
    thistle_ said:

...smooth, quiet twisty lanes...

Liar.

Unless you moved abroad.

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    seanoconn said:

Still time for it to come true
  • hopkinb
    Whoever recommended Chernobyl. Thanks. It's utterly brilliant and terrible. Up to episode 5.
  • pinno
    tlw1 said:

seanoconn said:

Still time for it to come true
    I used ctrl+ to no avail.
  • thistle_
    pinno said:

thistle_ said:

...smooth, quiet twisty lanes...

Liar.
    I guess it's all relative.

No, rear mech not sorted. Seems to work ok, but still dodgy and needs sorting.
  • hopkinb
    oxoman said:

LD just ignore the naysayer's and do some volunteer work or something. Mate does a day a wk for CAB as employment advisor / expert as an ex HR director he's pretty good at it,

See, this. As well as improving my academics, seeing more of the country on foot or bike, a bit of giving back. Pro bono accountancy/book keeping/ tax. Though by then it'll all be automated.
  • pinno
    hopkinb said:

oxoman said:

LD just ignore the naysayer's and do some volunteer work or something. Mate does a day a wk for CAB as employment advisor / expert as an ex HR director he's pretty good at it,

See, this. As well as improving my academics, seeing more of the country on foot or bike, a bit of giving back. Pro bono accountancy/book keeping/ tax. Though by then it'll all be automated.
    Tax avoidance/evasion won't be automated. I'm sure there's plenty of Ruskies in London who need creative accountants.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    johngti said:

Of course, if my ex drops off the mortal coil before that then it’ll instantly double to a whopping £2800 pa plus £9k lump sum. Hmmm. Wow.

Is she not under the patio?

• johngti
    tetley10 said:

johngti said:

Is she not under the patio?

Contrary to popular belief, no
  • hopkinb
    Just lost a minion again..35% increase in pay to go to a fintech. She's young and sparky. She's going to feed logic and knowledge to app developers to help small businesses have a bank account that also does their VAT compliance. It's the future.

For the sake of GBP 13k we've lost a good person.

Temp cover as she is compliance/business as usual critical, recruitment fees, likelihood of losing her manager who is already p!ssed off. The company will be 10's of thousands down, with disruption and annoyance to the business sky high. She was offered more money, but would have stayed with us for less than she was being offered as long as we were close. I was offered 2 grand. I said I would not even mention it to her, it would be an insult.

For 13k. My materiality level for group reporting? USD 18m.

It's not even rounding.

Gaaaah. Ballcocks. At least its not only my problem. Non rotating staff, i.e. non Japanese expats are leaving in droves.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    elbowloh said:

From what is posted on here, Wheelspinner works harder in his retirement than i do in my full-time job...

I do “work” hard round here, but that was the point of retirement. We’d not have bought this place and moved here if I was still going to be working for a long time.

It’s nothing like an extended holiday, that’s for sure. 😁
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS