The Tax Thread

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

here is a part of a piece in today's Times that shows how Irelad has benefited from lowering corporation tax

Why do Pfizer, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Allergan, Facebook, Oracle, Merck, Boston Scientific, Ingersoll Rand, Dell, Medtronic and SanDisk base their international headquarters in Ireland or book revenues through the country? Presumably not the weather, nor Dublin’s extraordinary cultural endowment. The answer, of course, is tax.

The headline rate of Irish corporation tax is 12.5 per cent, one of the lowest in Europe. There is a lower rate of 6.5 per cent on research and development and intellectual property, which makes Ireland extremely attractive to American technology and life sciences companies. Plus Ireland has no thin capitalisation rules, which means that Irish corporates can be financed with 100 per cent debt, no equity. As a result many US companies based in Ireland pay an effective corporation tax rate somewhere between 0 per cent and 6 per cent.

The benefits to the Irish economy are legion. In 2016-17 foreign firms accounted for 80 per cent of Irish corporation tax and employed 25 per cent of the Irish labour force. Dublin employs a very effective strategy to attract inward investment and maximise benefits to its economy and tax base.

What happens when every country does this. What does Ireland do then. Seems to me this only works for a smaller country close to a larger country kind of thing
    You can’t not do things because other countries may copy you.

Why are you so sure that if the CT rates had been reversed those companies would not be in the UK
    Clearly there's a bit more to it than just the rate or they'd all be based in Sofia rather than Dublin. I'd suggest a well-educated anglophone workforce was also a consideration.
    That has to be be the ultimate straw man argument, you introduced Sofia and then tell me I need to consider a well educated anglophone workforce.

We are talking about the UK rate of CT and looking at what lessons we can learn from Ireland. Am happy to listen to other advantages Ireland has over the UK because I can’t think of any
    Has or had?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Lol you're all talking higher taxes when the OBR is saying higher taxes or reduced spending is going to put the UK further in the hole.

This is what's going to ruin British democracy.

Most of these policies are inconsequential but are a multi year indication of the direction of travel to keep the markets happy.

Yes I would be cancelling long term vanity projects. If I did believe in counter cyclical spending then I would do it with things that could be turned on and off, not projects lasting decades that will involve expenditure at the wrong point in the cycle
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459

Lol you're all talking higher taxes when the OBR is saying higher taxes or reduced spending is going to put the UK further in the hole.

You're confusing headline rates of one tax (which accounts for less than 10% of tax revenues)with the total tax take. There is more to it than that - both in terms of other tax revenue streams and the tax base for any particular tax.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Stevo_666 said:

You're confusing headline rates of one tax (which accounts for less than 10% of tax revenues)with the total tax take. There is more to it than that - both in terms of other tax revenue streams and the tax base for any particular tax.
    I'm not. Where is anyone apart from me on this thread talking about fiscal expansion?
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

here is a part of a piece in today's Times that shows how Irelad has benefited from lowering corporation tax

Why do Pfizer, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Allergan, Facebook, Oracle, Merck, Boston Scientific, Ingersoll Rand, Dell, Medtronic and SanDisk base their international headquarters in Ireland or book revenues through the country? Presumably not the weather, nor Dublin’s extraordinary cultural endowment. The answer, of course, is tax.

The headline rate of Irish corporation tax is 12.5 per cent, one of the lowest in Europe. There is a lower rate of 6.5 per cent on research and development and intellectual property, which makes Ireland extremely attractive to American technology and life sciences companies. Plus Ireland has no thin capitalisation rules, which means that Irish corporates can be financed with 100 per cent debt, no equity. As a result many US companies based in Ireland pay an effective corporation tax rate somewhere between 0 per cent and 6 per cent.

The benefits to the Irish economy are legion. In 2016-17 foreign firms accounted for 80 per cent of Irish corporation tax and employed 25 per cent of the Irish labour force. Dublin employs a very effective strategy to attract inward investment and maximise benefits to its economy and tax base.

What happens when every country does this. What does Ireland do then. Seems to me this only works for a smaller country close to a larger country kind of thing

Why are you so sure that if the CT rates had been reversed those companies would not be in the UK
    Clearly there's a bit more to it than just the rate or they'd all be based in Sofia rather than Dublin. I'd suggest a well-educated anglophone workforce was also a consideration.
    I was just about to say that there are other factors, but you can't affect the local language or the weather for example, but you can change the tax rates and tax system. Ireland isn't too bad a place on the other fronts already, but clearly their tax environment has brought them considerable benefits.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

That has to be be the ultimate straw man argument, you introduced Sofia and then tell me I need to consider a well educated anglophone workforce.

We are talking about the UK rate of CT and looking at what lessons we can learn from Ireland. Am happy to listen to other advantages Ireland has over the UK because I can’t think of any
    Eh? I'm just suggesting why Apple, etc picked Ireland rather than one of the other low CT countries. Clearly the tax rate is a significant consideration; just not the *only* consideration. There's a fairly clear split between higher CT rates in the wealthier countries and lower rates in the less developed ones (with a couple of outliers like Liechtenstein) and it looks like we're already at the lower end of the wealthier group.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

I was just about to say that there are other factors, but you can't affect the local language or the weather for example, but you can change the tax rates and tax system. Ireland isn't too bad a place on the other fronts already, but clearly their tax environment has brought them considerable benefits.
    Yes, they have managed to hit the sweet spot in what they can offer larger businesses as a whole package.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Hmm, well that's a bit higher than was hinted at beforehand.

The rate will be tapered so that only businesses with profits of more than £250,000 will be taxed at the full 25% rate; that means only 10% of companies will pay the full higher rate. Companies with profits of less than £50,000 will remain at 19%.

Slightly surprised that only 10% of businesses make >£250K profit, but then there are a lot of one man band limited companies.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    rjsterry said:

The rate will be tapered so that only businesses with profits of more than £250,000 will be taxed at the full 25% rate; that means only 10% of companies will pay the full higher rate. Companies with profits of less than £50,000 will remain at 19%.

Slightly surprised that only 10% of businesses make >£250K profit, but then there are a lot of one man band limited companies.
    Not after 6th April there won't.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

I am wondering why he is only raising taxes on those with the ways and means to avoid it
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

What happens onApril 6th?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522

rjsterry said:

I am wondering why he is only raising taxes on those with the ways and means to avoid it
    because he knows they'll avoid it and the pipeline of party funding will continue unabated?

i.e. why he doesn't go after capital gains and carried interest taxes

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    The corp tax rate rise isn't kicking in until 2023 anyway.
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2021

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

IR35. You either know and care, or don't.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Been around for ages hasn't it and it's pretty simple to be able to avoid being "disguised" employment unless things are changing.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Been around for ages hasn't it and it's pretty simple to be able to avoid being "disguised" employment unless things are changing.
    Things have changed. Game over.
    There are options but all are half baked that will satisfy nobody.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'm currently working on a contract, inside IR35. First time I've ever worked contract, so didn't experience the heyday of not paying much tax.

I get paid a decent rate, get paid annual leave etc and pay a normal level of tax for the services that the government provides.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    I suspect that most of the Ltd Contractors currently outside IR35 will just up their rates to cover the additional tax. It will still be a cheaper alternative than using their own staff and the market sets the rate.
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2021
    Pross said:

I suspect that most of the Ltd Contractors currently outside IR35 will just up their rates to cover the additional tax. It will still be a cheaper alternative than using their own staff and the market sets the rate.

Not what I'm seeing. I know of one major bluechip company that have not increased rates in 12 years. They are struggling to recruit yet won't shift. There is always a supply of naive. Supply and demand in engineering has tipped towards a glut of supply aided by the crash of oil & gas and the rates in other fields appear to be similar.

Oh, and it assumes that the contractors have not already maxed out their rates within the market during negotiations.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    edited March 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

Still somewhat counter to the points we were discussing yesterday. I find the idea that £250k or more profit is something only attainable for really large companies a bit odd.

Tim Montgomerie seems to have lost faith in Sunak.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    edited March 2021
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Still somewhat counter to the points we were discussing yesterday. I find the idea that £250k or more profit is something only attainable for really large companies a bit odd.

Tim Montgomerie seems to have lost faith in Sunak.

Also not attractive to potential new international incomers.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    It’s moronic. The UK went through a decade of austerity for what exactly? To then cut overall spending as they try to overcome the pandemic and the cost of brexit.

I mean f@ck me.
  • kingstongraham
    He seems to have been gung ho last September and cautious now.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Nope, they've tightened up the rules significantly; it used to be a joke, but in the last few years they are paying attention. It's still possible to get around it, but you can't take the p155 like you used to
    Source: work in consultancy, know lots for whom IR35 is a thing!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Has anyone else commented that the effective lowering of the tax thresholds is quite regressive? Over a million people will be dragged into paying tax. All because they made some long-forgotten promise in an election that happened before the world turned upside down.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • kingstongraham
    secretsam said:

Has anyone else commented that the effective lowering of the tax thresholds is quite regressive? Over a million people will be dragged into paying tax. All because they made some long-forgotten promise in an election that happened before the world turned upside down.

The whole budget is built around keeping the debt forecast to 99% of GDP instead of 100% while not breaking that promise.

I did a calculator and it said I'm going to be £49 better off as a result of the changes.
  • rick_chasey

secretsam said:

The whole budget is built around keeping the debt forecast to 99% of GDP instead of 100% while not breaking that promise.

I did a calculator and it said I'm going to be £49 better off as a result of the changes.
  • Pross
    Didn't know where best to put this but I caught the end of an interview with a nurse and doctor about NHS pay and I'm sure the nurse said that any rise below 12.5% will be unacceptable. I can't help thinking if that is an expectation they will be disappointed. Do I think nurses are underpaid? Yes but a 12.5% rise is just not realistic (there was also the usual comment about "real terms paycuts" which always grates no matter who uses it).
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Didn't know where best to put this but I caught the end of an interview with a nurse and doctor about NHS pay and I'm sure the nurse said that any rise below 12.5% will be unacceptable. I can't help thinking if that is an expectation they will be disappointed. Do I think nurses are underpaid? Yes but a 12.5% rise is just not realistic (there was also the usual comment about "real terms paycuts" which always grates no matter who uses it).

In the context of the length of the freeze prior and the pandemic you can see why they'd anchor the negotiations that high.

I expect those kinds of rises in my job (which I appreciate is an entirely different context) as an absolute minimum and less I take as my firm telling me to leave.
  • kingstongraham
    edited March 2021
    Pross said:

Why does that grate when it accurately describes the situation?

If prices rise and pay doesn't, then you can buy less than you could before. That's a real terms pay cut.